• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Build quality Omnia .9

Jesse Graffam said:
OKCRadioGuy said:
OK... Question about Breakaway vs. the 9: Does Breakaway have the "undo" feature for the clipping on source material or is that just exclusive to the 9?
Richard is correct about the declipper part, assuming it's using Leif's tilt-correction code, which Leif kindly shared with Hans.  I believe that to be the case, but you should check his forums or ask him.
Actually it's the opposite: Leif had written a tilt correction algorithm for the declipper that he had originally licensed, but since my declipper was intended for broadcast use anyway it also contained one, and the Omnia 9, Perfect Declipper and my own FM processor Stereo Tool now all use my tilt correction.

Actually, Leifs implementation might have been better. We never compared the two. But more importantly, my declipper's clipping detection is NOT - as you might expect - based on flat lines or peak levels, but on a whole range of features that distinguish clipped from normal samples. So even without perfect tilt correction it still works.

About off-the-shelf vs. custom made components: I would go for off-the-shelf whenever possible. It gives far less chance of problems (since loads of people are already using it), it's cheaper, there are probably more manufacturers that make it (less dependance) and there are more people who know how to fix problems if they occur. I used to work at a company that makes medical X-Ray and MRI scanners, and they started making the switch from custom DSP's to PC's for video processing in 2005. And in the a few years that passed since they switched, the image quality has increased dramatically. With custom DSP's, YOU have to work to make them faster. With PC's if you wait 1.5 year you can do twice as much for the same price...

Turnpike Tuner said:
Idea for v2.0- HDMI out so you can hook it up to a big screen TV. Cause it'd look cool as hell to have the processor screen up on the wall in the studio. At the very least all the meters moving might impress the GM if they were on a 42 inch TV ;D

As some people have stated, this can be done through the remote, and it's indeed an AWESOME idea :). I would love to see some pictures!

You can already run multiple remote apps looking at the same 9, and they are completely independent so you can set them up to display different things.

The user interface is completely scalable -- run it at any resolution you like.

The remote also handles multiple instances. If you already have one remote running, the next one will get and maintain its own settings, including window size/location, so if you have one computer with multiple display outputs you can easily make a monitor wall displaying processing :).

//Leif

Hans, my algorithm was probably better in detecting a pure clipping level, but your algorithm is much better for real-world material where the clipped edge is not always straight. My hat is off to you on this one, that declipper is magic!

///Leif

Whoa... for those of us who are on the sidelines enjoying this great thread, did you notice that we just had another processing "rock star" join in -- as I suspect that Hans / HVZ would be one Hans van Zutphen, the mind and ears behind the nifty (and heavily metered) Stereo Tool.

Welcome, Hans, and as we say down here "don't be a stranger".

Paul Burt, Chief Enginneer
ALERT FM, RDS-based emergency alerting
Jackson, MS / Baton Rouge, LA

I just got to play with an Omnia.9 for the first time. Flat out, the most versatile box ever. Will purchase.

Killer presets. Clipper to die for. Haven't heard any of the other boxes in it's similar range, though.

Innards are of very little concern.

>>Fugazi, if you are saying that what the box looks like on the inside is more important than what it sounds like on the air, then I really don't know what to tell you.

Leif, with all respect to your great work, according to me, it does matter how the inside looks. Consider this discussion as feedback, listen to it, absorb it, use it.
I am not against you or against any product whatsoever. I have an opinion as an engineer and i would say that the LOOKS of the inside of the omnia 9 should improve.

The Omnia.9 is around for a while now but I'm not reading anything about it on newsbriefs from Omnia, or elswhere and that there are stations using this box. So can we say this box is top or flop? Any references from stations who using it also online?

I've got one out in the field (as well as two 11's). Love it, it's loud and clean. Just applied an update and it's even better.

It's not processing a stream for that station as it's at the site. Breakaway is doing the stream. It's been up since March with zero downtime, other than the reboot after the upgrade.

WNTIRadio said:
I've got one out in the field (as well as two 11's). Love it, it's loud and clean. Just applied an update and it's even better.

It's not processing a stream for that station as it's at the site. Breakaway is doing the stream. It's been up since March with zero downtime, other than the reboot after the upgrade.

Which station is that?

An Atlanta, Georgia jazz station is running it and it sounds great!
I use Breakaway software with Spotify on my desk computer. Breakaway is, by far, the best processing I have ever heard for source to source consistency.....and you don't have to trash the audio to make it do that.
Noise gating is a problem with the software version.....not sure if the 9 has the same problem. I have never heard any noise issues on the on-air jazz station but I'm not listening to it with headphones.

I heard the Chr in Birmingham AL with the 9.Sounds good considering most of the chr stuff sounds like crap.But to my ears the best audio in Birmingham is on 93.7 the crawford christian AC,running the Vorsis Air Aura.Open and smooth ,incredible on voice!! Really good audio.

oldiesstation said:
I heard the Chr in Birmingham AL with the 9.Sounds good considering most of the chr stuff sounds like crap.But to my ears the best audio in Birmingham is on 93.7 the crawford christian AC,running the Vorsis Air Aura.Open and smooth ,incredible on voice!! Really good audio.

I guess that this CHR in Birmingham not using it for the online streaming because they are on IheartRadio with there requierd Orban PC 1100 of 1101 card?

not sure about the stream.on air was good,maybe a little fatiguing (loudness) .All these darn chr songs sound alike....May have it on the yank and crank preset:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom