• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bruce and Pamela Out at KTAR

I think radio, especially FM radio, is still very relevant. It is purely your opinion that having Broomhead on KTAR is not “forward-thinking.” To others, even younger people who are conservative, Broomhead might appeal to them now that he is on FM as opposed to Ancient Modulation.

Also, it is important to remember that what you might consider to be “forward-thinking” could be a lot different from what thousands of other people think is “forward-thinking.” I think Broomhead fits into KTAR’s current talk format that has definitely skewed more conservative the last few years. Gone are Bruce, Pamela and Mac Watson, both of which were very critical of the current president. In is Chad Benson, Mike Broomhead and even more Dave Ramsey. I personally am upset that KTAR is sacrificing an hour of their best programming, all-news in the morning with Detour Dan Beach traffic updates, for Broomhead, but I can see why they are doing it, especially in a Presidential Election Year in one of the most hotly contested states come this November.

For me, "forward thinking" has always been pretty straightforward. How do you not only grow your audience today, but how do you turn them into long-term listeners. Back when I was in CHR, it meant skewing younger at night, having events at the high schools, and other methods of appealing to the young audience so that when they grow up (and more importantly into the demo), you've got them. KTAR seems to be skewing older and more conservative. Something which certainly appeals to the folks moving into "active adult" communities, but what happens as that core audience continues to age and shrink?

On top of that, even if you think radio is as strong as ever, you can't deny that it's changing. I've heard complaints from some "older" air talent friends (and I've made some myself) that all management cares about is your social media presence. How often are you posting? How many IG followers do you have? Can you do a good Facebook Live? The "why can't I just do my radio show" question is answered with "because that's not enough anymore." More and more people on the younger end of the demo are getting their content from places other than traditional radio. How does radio compete in that space? Forward thinking means taking into consideration where your audience will be in 5 or 10 years from now. Forward thinking means strategizing what you can do to appeal to the next group of people that will age into the 25-54 demo over the next 5 years. How will they be consuming their media, and how can you meet them where they are?

As for the upcoming election, wherever you fall on the political spectrum you have to consider the possibility that Trump might lose. If that happens, KTAR will be left with a good chunk of their programming dedicated to a guy who isn't President. That, and weekends filled with shows about planning for your retirement aren't going to appeal to that younger demo that will soon be their demo.

True story...I knew this guy who got hired as a phone screener for a certain politician's talk show on KFYI. Back when they had local hosts and took phone calls. I asked him how the job was going. He said it had destroyed his faith in humanity. The people who got on the air were the few who were not - as you said - drooling morons. After receiving constant abuse and death threats, he shut down his social media account, quit the job, and left radio entirely.

Pretty much anyone that would call into JD Hayworth's old show would have problems with drooling correctly...those were more of the oozing morons...

I listened to Broomhead. Not bad.
I'm not hearing hate or rightwing propaganda.
He sounds pretty middle to me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom