• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bruce and Pamela Out at KTAR

YIKES! Where do the Nurse and I get our fix of a overly caffeinated Bruce and his sidekick who constantly talks about her daughter? Politically speaking, KTAR turns even further to the right with Broomhead. Interesting that the morning news block will end at 8am. Now if only they could find a replacement for the rice & beans, frijoles y arroz show heard way too often on 92~Three.

YIKES! Where do the Nurse and I get our fix of a overly caffeinated Bruce and his sidekick who constantly talks about her daughter? Politically speaking, KTAR turns even further to the right with Broomhead. Interesting that the morning news block will end at 8am. Now if only they could find a replacement for the rice & beans, frijoles y arroz show heard way too often on 92~Three.

So, KTAR has great ratings and they do this?

And now we have 4 talk radio stations in Phoenix that are all hate, all anger, all the time. No one on radio is moderate, let alone progressive. What is the goal for TMISU? Endless advertisements for urine catheters and sexual dysfunction pills?

KTAR is dead to me, the hell with them. KJZZ and KFI and podcasts. Broomhead is a bomb throwing, ignorant right wing propaganda suck up. Just wait, Broomhead show for next 6 months will be Martha McSally propaganda HQ.

But, not if no one listens.

Bad call by the Kolob folk who think hot beverages are sinful.

So, KTAR has great ratings and they do this?.

KTAR has been between 12th and 15th in 25-54 during the last 12 books. They are about 3 to 4 positions lower on the 18-49 ranking.

While decent, that is not "great" by any means.

They are anywhere from 2nd to 6th in 55 and over, though. But there is not a lot of ad revenue there.

So, KTAR has great ratings and they do this?

And now we have 4 talk radio stations in Phoenix that are all hate, all anger, all the time. No one on radio is moderate, let alone progressive. What is the goal for TMISU? Endless advertisements for urine catheters and sexual dysfunction pills?

I think their ratings were infinitely better when they were still a de facto "talk radio" station and took on-air listener calls - as opposed to two hosts talking to themselves. Ankarlo was Paul Freakin' Harvey compared to those two. I'm happy for them, wherever they go, but 92.3 is rapidly turning into the FM equivalent of 1100 -- every freakin' show is all about the money.

Since moving to FM, KTAR has purposely counter programmed Rush Limbaugh on 5~Fifty. Now it appears they're circling the wagons with Broomhead and giving his listeners a two hour head start before El Rushbo starts at 10am. Did Limbaugh's recent diagnosis hasten the lineup change at 92~Three? Nurse Jeff and I dunno...but come 2/24, it's game on!

And now we have 4 talk radio stations in Phoenix that are all hate, all anger, all the time.

No hate or anger in beans & rice.

Did Limbaugh's recent diagnosis hasten the lineup change at 92~Three?

Good question, but I think this move was in the works before that was announced. However, it could change the landscape moving forward.

I don't think hard right talk is necessarily where Bonneville wants to be. They are more comfortable with straight news.

I don't think hard right talk is necessarily where Bonneville wants to be. They are more comfortable with straight news.

Bonneville wants to be where Salem is (and with Salem's White House access, too) - I don't believe for a moment they care whether "straight news" pays the bills as well as the hate-talk does. Can't help but be reminded of Andy Griffith in "Face In The Crowd." That's who they want to be face of 92.3.

I got tired of these 2 constantly preaching/lecturing their listeners. They acted like they were authorities on every subject.
Too bad Gaydos wasn't shown the door.

KFYI's mornings now consist of Heckle & Jeckle constantly promoting their beer drinking club.

I think their ratings were infinitely better when they were still a de facto "talk radio" station and took on-air listener calls - as opposed to two hosts talking to themselves. Ankarlo was Paul Freakin' Harvey compared to those two. I'm happy for them, wherever they go, but 92.3 is rapidly turning into the FM equivalent of 1100 -- every freakin' show is all about the money.

This is all supposed to boil down to ratings, but this move makes me wonder (since I don't have access to the numbers)...was Broomhead really a ratings powerhouse over at KFYI?

As I understand things, his ouster from 550 was not part of the iHeart bloodbath. Either way, did Bonneville look at the numbers and say "gosh, we gotta get this guy!"? I don't know.

As far as the rightward tilt, that's an odd move. I mean, it used to be Sharpe (a solid conservative, but no idealogue) into Bruce (a libertarian), into Ramsey (money+Jesus) and Mac n Cheese followed by Chad "I didn't think they could find a bigger Trump supporter than Krazy Kid, but they did" Benson.

Now the lineup is:

"Arizona's Truncated Morning News."

"AM Right Wing Radio on the FM."

"You Make Terrible Financial Decisions, but Jesus Loves You."

"MAGA and Gaydos."

"The 'Hey, Remember We're a News Station' Hour."

"No, But Seriously, You're Not Good With Money, but Jesus Loves You."

"Ha, ha, Trump Owned the Libs Again Today."

I guess I don't understand how this is supposed to appeal to anything other than the AARP card-carrying, ME TV watching, living in an "active 55+ community" demo.

Not sure if I agree with that. Bonneville is based in Salt Lake City. You know what's big there? They are more Mitt Romney, less Sebastian Gorka.

Bonneville does both moderate/center-right talk on the FM and strictly right-wing talk on one of their AMs in Seattle. They can do that because they have an extra AM to spare. If there was another AM with a good full-time signal like 620 (which is all-ESPN except for sports play-by-play overflow because of the strict ESPN contract) available for them to buy, they probably wouldn't have made major changes to 92.3.

Also, what works in Salt Lake City doesn't actually translate into the Phoenix market. They see the demand for ideological purity here, and want to be less like KJZZ and more like KFYI.

Also, what works in Salt Lake City doesn't actually translate into the Phoenix market.

That's not what I meant. I was referring to the big white building downtown. The one with the famous choir.

I don't see how adding Broomhead creates "ideological purity" at KTAR. All they did was cut back the size of the morning news block. There are some who think you can put AM talk on the FM and that will fix the aging demo problem. I think they'll discover that it doesn't.

That's not what I meant. I was referring to the big white building downtown. The one with the famous choir.

I don't see how adding Broomhead creates "ideological purity" at KTAR. All they did was cut back the size of the morning news block. There are some who think you can put AM talk on the FM and that will fix the aging demo problem. I think they'll discover that it doesn't.

I don't think Bonneville's as much of an organization that is driven by Temple Square as they used to be. They still allow alcoholic beverage ads on 98.7 (although they would be losing money without them), and they kept the stations they acquired from Entercom in San Francisco pretty much status quo. They seem to be driven more by market forces now.

The hard right turn is complete

So let me get this straight, they took a low rated right wing flak from an even lower rated station owned by a bankrupt company and put him in a higher rated format/station? This along with the mess they have created at the 2pm slot, the Trump white power hour. Ryan Hatch brilliance. Great news for the ever climbing NPR.

Also, what works in Salt Lake City doesn't actually translate into the Phoenix market. They see the demand for ideological purity here, and want to be less like KJZZ and more like KFYI.

I'm going to try to stay out of hot water with the moderators, but this looks like a radio move and a political move at the same time.

The radio part is easy: KTAR-FM has a better signal into the areas where the conservative talk listeners are: Mesa, Gilbert, Queen Creek and AJ in the east valley, and the west valley from the Sun Cities out to Wickenburg. Today's stucco-encrusted home construction, as well as older metal framed trailers and single/double wide prefab homes that are rampant in the east Mesa/AJ area are death to Ancient Modulation. Hiring Mike Broomhead was all but mandatory for TMISU, once he became available.

I'll keep the politics to a minimum, but I believe it also has more than a little to do with the LDS church reasserting itself in the state GOP, as well as... ummm... "trumping" their biggest competitor. It looks to me like they want to be the semi-official radio voice of the AZGOP that KFYI has been for at least 25 years. Hiring Broomhead and moving further to the right, where their Arizona members are (after seniors, Mormons are the GOP's largest voting bloc in Arizona) puts them where they want to be, as well as putting a nail in KFYI's coffin.

Hiring Broomhead and moving further to the right, where their Arizona members are (after seniors, Mormons are the GOP's largest voting bloc in Arizona) puts them where they want to be, as well as putting a nail in KFYI's coffin.

My view is they made a mistake starting him at 8AM. Yes seniors wake up early, but the commuters prefer news to political ranting. They will see their demos turn even older by starting Broomfield at 8. Consider it their donation to KJZZ.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom