• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Brian Whitman's last show...Where is he going?

TravisKnight

Inactive
Inactive User
He ought to go 97.1 The FM Talk Station. I think he is perfect for that station....his Tom Leykis impression would go over well...

> He ought to go 97.1 The FM Talk Station. I think he is
> perfect for that station....his Tom Leykis impression would
> go over well...

What are the circumstances for his leaving? I'm presuming he'll still do a separate show for WABC.

I had heard of Brian, but didn't hear him until he was on Glenn Beck before the election last year. I heard him soon thereafter while DXing KABC. I think he should have a weekend nighttime show on all of the ABC O&O's... he'd be infinitely better than wahtever else they're running.

You mean like that ridiculous Satelite Sisters show?

I think he should have a
> weekend nighttime show on all of the ABC O&O's... he'd be
> infinitely better than wahtever else they're running.
>

> > He ought to go 97.1 The FM Talk Station. I think he is
> > perfect for that station....his Tom Leykis impression
> would
> > go over well...
>
> What are the circumstances for his leaving? I'm presuming
> he'll still do a separate show for WABC.
>
> I had heard of Brian, but didn't hear him until he was on
> Glenn Beck before the election last year. I heard him soon
> thereafter while DXing KABC. I think he should have a
>

He was the second worst KABC talk show host. Now if they could only get rid of the worst, Leo...

Best host on KABC, Sean Hannity, hands down. If KFI had him, they'd be unbeatable 24/7. I don't know why Clear Channel L.A. hasn't downgraded Dr. Laura since so many other Clear Channel stations have or are dumping her. She does not fit KFI anymore.

Very simple - she still gets ratings. Hannity is signed up with the competition, so they wouldn't be able to get him anyway.

As long as Laura gets ratings for KFI, it is good to have her because she brings an audience to the table that might not tune in to a station that has become a bastion for conservative political talk.

> I don't know why Clear Channel
> L.A. hasn't downgraded Dr. Laura since so many other Clear
> Channel stations have or are dumping her. She does not fit
> KFI anymore.
>

> He was the second worst KABC talk show host. Now if they
> could only get rid of the worst, Leo...

Didn't Kim Serafin take his spot? Or is Leo on Sundays?

> Best host on KABC, Sean Hannity, hands down. If KFI had him,
> they'd be unbeatable 24/7. I don't know why Clear Channel
> L.A. hasn't downgraded Dr. Laura since so many other Clear
> Channel stations have or are dumping her. She does not fit
> KFI anymore.

Simple: KFI dances in and out of #1 overall. Why change? Hannity is an ABC product on an ABC O&O. BTW, what are KABC's numbers? I think the triplets and 97.1 are beating KABC.

Who is Brian Whitman?

Brian is a famous impressionist in the radio insdustry. He is a daily componant to the Glenn Beck show. He also does voices for Scott Shannon, and prior to WABC was the morning person at the same 102.9 FM in San Diego (hey, I used to work there too!). He may have also done some work at KIIS FM at one point.

I have never met him, but hear that he unbelieveably talented. He's also good at doing AM talk, and I hope he is getting a syndicated show.

> > He ought to go 97.1 The FM Talk Station. I think he is
> > perfect for that station....his Tom Leykis impression
> would
> > go over well...
>
> What are the circumstances for his leaving? I'm presuming
> he'll still do a separate show for WABC.
>
> I had heard of Brian, but didn't hear him until he was on
> Glenn Beck before the election last year. I heard him soon
> thereafter while DXing KABC. I think he should have a
>

Re: Who is Brian Whitman?

>>Brian is a famous impressionist in the radio insdustry. He is a daily componant to the Glenn Beck show. He also does voices for Scott Shannon, and prior to WABC was the morning person at the same 102.9 FM in San Diego (hey, I used to work there too!). He may have also done some work at KIIS FM at one point. <<

He did LOTS of work at KIIS FM. He hooked up with Rick Dees in the late 80's by calling his request lines one morning, in character. KIIS wisely kept Brian when they switched over to Ryan Seacrap's morning show. (Brian is still pictured on Ryan's KIIS website.) Unfortunately, Seacrap has no idea how to properly utilize Brian's talents, so he has gone to waste.

Brian's attempts at hosting his own show have been sad, in my opinion. He is an EXCELLENT voice guy. Most of his impressions are dead-on and the ones that aren't are usually done in a unique way that makes them even better. Sadly, Brian wants to host his own show. He's like an all-star receiver who wants to be a quarterback. His two morning shows in San Diego were horrible and he is mediocre at best when he works alone on KABC and WABC.

Regardless, it wouldn't surprise me if Brian has been tapped to be (a major part of) the 97.1 KLSX morning show once Howard commits career suicide by going to satellite. Or, I could see Brian Whitman replacing Hollywood Hamilton at K-EARTH. Both gigs (KLSX and K-EARTH) are programmed by Jack Silver, who was Brian's PD (and sidekick) at the two San Diego gigs. Jack was also producer of the Dees show when Brian came aboard at KIIS. And history has shown us that Jack Silver often hires his friends, regardless of whether they're the best choice for the job.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by TurnItOn on 06/02/05 12:58 AM.</FONT></P>

Who is Brian Whitman? - He's with Rick on Jack

Purely surmising here...but considering that:
* Brian Whitman worked with Rick Dees for years
* Rick no longer working for Clear Channel - hence Infinity is his likely destination
* Rick not being placed on KRTH during that Infinity station's recent AM drive opening
* Glenn's [imnabwon] announcing in a recent thread that Jack is expected to add local personalities later this summer
I would deduce that Rick could likely jock AM drive on Jack later this summer with Brian being part of his posse.
Further OOTB (out of the box) thinking, with Infinity aggressively rolling out Jack stations coupled with Rick's desire while with CC to syndicate, Rick could become the defacto Jack morning show on most Infinity Jacks later this year.

>>Brian is a famous impressionist in the radio insdustry. He is a daily componant to the Glenn Beck show. He also does voices for Scott Shannon, and prior to WABC was the morning person at the same 102.9 FM in San Diego (hey, I used to work there too!). He may have also done some work at KIIS FM at one point.<<

He did LOTS of work at KIIS FM. He hooked up with Rick Dees in the late 80's by calling his request lines one morning, in character. KIIS wisely kept Brian when they switched over to Ryan Seacrap's morning show. (Brian is still pictured on Ryan's KIIS website.) Unfortunately, Seacrap has no idea how to properly utilize Brian's talents, so he has gone to waste.

Brian's attempts at hosting his own show have been sad, in my opinion. He is an EXCELLENT voice guy. Most of his impressions are dead-on and the ones that aren't are usually done in a unique way that makes them even better. Sadly, Brian wants to host his own show. He's like an all-star receiver who wants to be a quarterback. His two morning shows in San Diego were horrible and he is mediocre at best when he works alone on KABC and WABC.

Regardless, it wouldn't surprise me if Brian has been tapped to be (a major part of) the 97.1 KLSX morning show once Howard commits career suicide by going to satellite. Or, I could see Brian Whitman replacing Hollywood Hamilton at K-EARTH. Both gigs (KLSX and K-EARTH) are programmed by Jack Silver, who was Brian's PD (and sidekick) at the two San Diego gigs. Jack was also producer of the Dees show when Brian came aboard at KIIS. And history has shown us that Jack Silver often hires his friends, regardless of whether they're the best choice for the job.<P ID="signature">______________
Peace is the word, and the Voice of the Peace is THE station, 24 hours a day. (Tribute to the VOP 1540 which broadcast for 20 years in the Eastern Mediterranean)</P>

R&R reports today that ABC Radio Networks will launch a national rollout this September of top-rated WBAP/Dallas talk host Mark Davis. His show will air 9a-11a PT. Assuming that as an ABC O&O, KABC picks this up, coupled with Don Barrett's report this week that Michael Jackson (the heritage KABC host) was seen walking the halls there, could the 9a-noon day-part be up for significant upheaval later this summer?

> You mean like that ridiculous Satelite Sisters show?
>
> > I think he should have a
> > weekend nighttime show on all of the ABC O&O's... he'd be
> > infinitely better than wahtever else they're running.<P ID="signature">______________
Peace is the word, and the Voice of the Peace is THE station, 24 hours a day. (Tribute to the VOP 1540 which broadcast for 20 years in the Eastern Mediterranean)</P>

Re: Who is Brian Whitman? - He's with Rick on Jack

> Purely surmising here...but considering that:
> * Brian Whitman worked with Rick Dees for years
> * Rick no longer working for Clear Channel - hence Infinity
> is his likely destination
> * Rick not being placed on KRTH during that Infinity
> station's recent AM drive opening
> * Glenn's [imnabwon] announcing in a recent thread that Jack
> is expected to add local personalities later this summer
> I would deduce that Rick could likely jock AM drive on Jack
> later this summer with Brian being part of his posse.
> Further OOTB (out of the box) thinking, with Infinity
> aggressively rolling out Jack stations coupled with Rick's
> desire while with CC to syndicate, Rick could become the
> defacto Jack morning show on most Infinity Jacks later this
> year.

That would be a great fit if they did it, david. However I predict that it won't happen. Infinity is way too cheap to pay for Dees. I predict we won't hear Rick Dees on Los Angeles FM anytime soon---if ever again. Let's face it, he doesn't need the money. I think the only way he'll do another morning show is if it's on satellite or broadband---where he can own the venue and make big bucks. Otherwise, it's not worth the time it would take him to set his alarm clock...

Re: Brian Whitman to 97.1!

Don Barrett is reporting that Whitman will join Tim Conway Jr. for the new Conway & Brian show on KLSX. Doug Steckler's contract will not be renewed and Whitman will also contribute comedy and characters to the KRTH morning show. <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by calguy on 06/02/05 07:17 AM.</FONT></P>

Re: Who is Brian Whitman? - He's with Rick on Jack

Interesting speculation.

> Purely surmising here...but considering that:
> * Brian Whitman worked with Rick Dees for years
> * Rick no longer working for Clear Channel - hence Infinity
> is his likely destination

Presuming he decides to come back to terrestrial radio. There has been no proof whatsoever that Rick had had any conversations with Infinity ... or anyone, for that matter.

> * Rick not being placed on KRTH during that Infinity
> station's recent AM drive opening
> * Glenn's [imnabwon] announcing in a recent thread that Jack
> is expected to add local personalities later this summer
> I would deduce that Rick could likely jock AM drive on Jack
> later this summer with Brian being part of his posse.

He could, presuming Infinity wanted someone that high profile. Again, we have no idea what Infinity is thinking along those lines.

> Further OOTB (out of the box) thinking, with Infinity
> aggressively rolling out Jack stations coupled with Rick's
> desire while with CC to syndicate, Rick could become the
> defacto Jack morning show on most Infinity Jacks later this
> year.

That is a long shot at best. We don't know that Infinity is thinking along those lines either.

But an interesting speculation nonetheless.

Here's another thought, probably as likely as the above:

What if Infinity made a deal with Dees to do a nationwide morning show sans music, to replace Howard Stern?

<P ID="signature">______________
K.M. Richards
Part of the team of Radio-Info moderators
</P>

> Very simple - she still gets ratings. Hannity is signed up
> with the competition, so they wouldn't be able to get him
> anyway.
>
> As long as Laura gets ratings for KFI, it is good to have
> her because she brings an audience to the table that might
> not tune in to a station that has become a bastion for
> conservative political talk.
>

A number of Clear Channel stations that lean conservative have downgraded her such as KOGO/San Diego. Also, KNST in Tucson, a Clear Channel station, dumped her last summer for Sean Hannity. She's done next to nothing for the loser station she ended up on.

Losing 1/3 of Rush's audience isn't smart programming. She's the weak link that will eventually go.

I expect KFI will eventually do a live local show from Noon-3. Probably another upgrading of Ziegler.

I actually agree with the both Ziegler and Laura predictions. In the end, she doesn't fit the format (other than being a conservative herself, who is not affraid to talk politics on her show).

In fact once they bumped the successful Hendrie to make room for him, it signaled to me that they were grooming him for something bigger. He won't be on at nights for long, maybe a year or two.

>
> A number of Clear Channel stations that lean conservative
> have downgraded her such as KOGO/San Diego. Also, KNST in
> Tucson, a Clear Channel station, dumped her last summer for
> Sean Hannity. She's done next to nothing for the loser
> station she ended up on.
>
> Losing 1/3 of Rush's audience isn't smart programming. She's
> the weak link that will eventually go.
>
> I expect KFI will eventually do a live local show from
> Noon-3. Probably another upgrading of Ziegler.
>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom