• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

BREAKING NEWS!...Star 102.5 sold in Buffalo

Tall Thin One News has not gotten official confirmation, but word is that Star 102.5 has been sold to EMF (K-Love). Terms of the deal unavailable at press time.

Last edited:
Typically deals with EMF do not include such things as intellectual property, domain names, or branding. So all that remains with Audacy.

EMF already owns 3kW WBKV on 89.9 which is doing the K-Love Christian Contemporary Music ("CCM") format, so it's quite possible that format will move the the big signal on 102.5 which covers everything in Niagara, Erie and Chautauqua counties and easily reaches Genesee, Orleans, Wyoming counties.

Before offering critical analysis, it might be worth checking out 89.9. Although CCM isn't my choice of fomats, on the occasions I've listened, the K-Love format does all the formatic elements of AC with a dash of Hot AC, while adding a touch Christian-based personality. It also sounds apolitical, knowing that's best left to its listeners' tastes. K-Love also puts up very competitive ratings in markets larger than Buffalo, and will likely perform well here on 102.5 if EMF puts the format on the frequency.

On the flip side of the coin, ad revenue no longer will flow to 102.5, so will Audacy re-direct that revenue to 107.7 by moving Star's Hot AC format to that frequency, or will the 107.7 signal also be divested. Moving Star to 107.7 will keep this board active for days (tbolt's dilema) because the format has been putting up improved post-All Christmas numbers. The million dollar question: If the format moves to 107.7, will Star listeners make the move to the rimshot signal ... or choose its very effective translator on 104.7?

I'll hang up and take your answer on the radio.

I'll inform the minister of radio. In the meantime, credit CCM lovers for banding together and supporting radio. Fans of other music genres could do the same thing, but they don't have the same devotion to music that the CCM fans have. Although fans of classical music continue to support WNED.

That actually is a really good point,
as always ..... :)

I do find myself checking out dove 92-1 on occasion, and the songs can blend in with today's light favorites.
In addition, the on air talent is relatable, as mentioning a moment which was genuine while attending a Sabres' game....

if THAT is what they are bringing cool,
I hope that 101.7 or 99.5 is not their programming as they it almost "offensive " with their opinion delivered "facts"

*the rare time I hear 99.5 play music it is okay
however, I can quickly identify it is CCM.

I'll inform the minister of radio. In the meantime, credit CCM lovers for banding together and supporting radio. Fans of other music genres could do the same thing, but they don't have the same devotion to music that the CCM fans have. Although fans of classical music continue to support WNED.
However evangelicals are involved in a religious culture where there is tremendous pressure from leadership and their own peers to provide financial support to their church and other proselytizing activities. Religious broadcasters such as EMF are an extension of that culture, and use the same mindset to encourage support of their radio ministries.

Those that love Classical music (or other ”fringe” genres) do not have the same financial demands and cultural pressure placed upon them.

However evangelicals are involved in a religious culture where there is tremendous pressure from leadership and their own peers to provide financial support to their church and other proselytizing activities. Religious broadcasters such as EMF are an extension of that culture, and use the same mindset to encourage support of their radio ministries.

Those that love Classical music (or other ”fringe” genres) do not have the same financial demands and cultural pressure placed upon them.
There's also Zoomer Radio Classical and Jazz FM in the neighboring Toronto. WNED is part of BTPM and they have a Toronto office

Tall Thin One News has not gotten official confirmation, but word is that Star 102.5 has been sold to EMF (K-Love). Terms of the deal unavailable at press time.
It's now 4 PM EDT and there is nothing on any recognized broadcast news site about the sale of WTSS. Do we have actual confirmation?

From Fybush to Radio Insight to Inside Radio to AllAccess there is nothing.

Of course not. They do it out of love and charity. There needs to be more of that in order for radio and certain genres of music to survive. Otherwise what you once knew as radio will be filled with religion and other paid programming. Advertising is disappearing as a support system for radio & TV. The future will be based on subscriptions and donations.

It's now 4 PM EDT and there is nothing on any recognized broadcast news site about the sale of WTSS. Do we have actual confirmation?

From Fybush to Radio Insight to Inside Radio to AllAccess there is nothing.

Staffers in Buffalo and Memphis were informed of deals yesterday. There's another market supposedly in play. I haven't locked down who is getting what yet completely.

Back
Top Bottom