• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Boston radio legend Charles Laquidara reminisces about ‘The Big Mattress,’ his on-air antics, and the end of an era

Thank you--are college students included in ratings? I wonder because he mentions how many people listened to WBCN, but if college students were excluded..
I say this because many years ago The Globe had an article about WCAS 740 and it mentioned something about college students (because they may not live full time in a certain place?) being excluded; article said "if they were allowed, Time Magazine would soon be beating a path to WCAS' door.. "

I was working nights. Dinah Vaprin was working mornings. At that time, nights were when people listened to underground radio. So Dinah Vaprin asked at a meeting: “Why do women always get the morning shift? The [expletive] shift.” I yelled out, “There’s no such thing as a bad shift, Dinah, you should be happy with what you got!” And she said, “Well then you take morning . . .” I said, “I will!” And I did. After the meeting was over, I said to the program director, “What did I just do?”

If you created a Mount Rushmore of Boston AM drive personalities Laquidara has to be included. Jess Cain and Matt Siegel are locks as well.

Carl DeSuze is probably the 4th

Guess my perspective is a little different. Although the rest of the day parts on WVBF/WCLB/WKLB/WROR never did amazingly well until recently for ROR, the morning drive did very well.
Loren has to be considered in a Top 5 without question.

Another to consider is Robert J. Lurtsema at WGBH

It was soothing to wake up to his birds

Back
Top Bottom