• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Boom! We're getting classic hip hop...

P

purpledevil

...or so it appears. Radio One has registered several variations of "Boom!" for Houston's KROI, and the report from Insight says that KROI will be moving towards old school hip hop (think Kool Moe Dee, Dr. Dre, Candyman).

So, I know we have members that will be estatic that 80s/90s rap is coming back to Houston fulltime for the first time since 97-9 was spinning these songs, but is it the right move?

Can KROI exist without cannibalizing KBXX's listener base? Will The Beat be able to withstand the onslaught from both ends as KROI chips into it with the classics, and the Box focusing on all currents?

Wonder if their first song will be "Boom Boom Pow" by the Blackeyed Peas?

Or "Boom, I Got Your Boyfriend" by JJ Fad?

I can hear the liners already, "We're lowering the Boom on 93-7!"

Is it a swerve? Will you be curious to take a listen?

Your thoughts?

...or so it appears. Radio One has registered several variations of "Boom!" for Houston's KROI, and the report from Insight says that KROI will be moving towards old school hip hop (think Kool Moe Dee, Dr. Dre, Candyman).

So, I know we have members that will be estatic that 80s/90s rap is coming back to Houston fulltime for the first time since 97-9 was spinning these songs, but is it the right move?

Can KROI exist without cannibalizing KBXX's listener base? Will The Beat be able to withstand the onslaught from both ends as KROI chips into it with the classics, and the Box focusing on all currents?

Wonder if their first song will be "Boom Boom Pow" by the Blackeyed Peas?

Or "Boom, I Got Your Boyfriend" by JJ Fad?

I can hear the liners already, "We're lowering the Boom on 93-7!"

Is it a swerve? Will you be curious to take a listen?

Your thoughts?

Yawn. If its not oldies / classic hits I won't be listening. Yet another niche format for 92.1 that will fail in a year or two.

Well, we all know what bruce wants without his posting ;)

but the Classic Hip-Hop?? Nothing is classic about it.....the current generation does not care about classic anything....they only care about the latest/newest/hottest....anything "classic" to them means old and they dont want that...this format will likely cause 97.9 to suffer a little but as long as RadioOne is getting the listeners to just move from one station to another, they really don't lose...but they don't gain anything either..

Oh well, time will tell....(give it 6 months at the outside myself)

but the Classic Hip-Hop?? Nothing is classic about it.....the current generation does not care about classic anything....they only care about the latest/newest/hottest....anything "classic" to them means old and they dont want that...this format will likely cause 97.9 to suffer a little but as long as RadioOne is getting the listeners to just move from one station to another, they really don't lose...but they don't gain anything either..

Oh well, time will tell....(give it 6 months at the outside myself)

I think it will do well. I know there are many in my age group (35-50) who love this music. Us old hip hop heads will get to relive the music we grew up listening to over the air.

Not just me --- there are oldies / classic hits stations in markets all around Houston, and all over the country that do well in the ratings. If somebody wants to make money, they should put the format here in Houston because we can't be all that different demographically from markets all around us. But - go ahead - put another niche'y format on instead, it will fail, and nobody will understand why - they will go right on to the next niche'y little format without a clue why they keep failing.

Classic Rap Hiphop R&B should do well here Houston was big in the rap scene for about 6 yrs in the 90s

Not just me --- there are oldies / classic hits stations in markets all around Houston, and all over the country that do well in the ratings. If somebody wants to make money, they should put the format here in Houston because we can't be all that different demographically from markets all around us. But - go ahead - put another niche'y format on instead, it will fail, and nobody will understand why - they will go right on to the next niche'y little format without a clue why they keep failing.

Don't you think that Radio One knows how to sell to an urban audience. Trust me there is a market for this format. If it happens it becomes a favorite on my tunein app.

Tom Taylor's newsletter today talked about this, and included this sentence:

"But apparently CBS Radio has the U.S. rights to “Boom” in radio, based in part on an October 3 filing for a trademark."

So what could that mean?

Tom Taylor's newsletter today talked about this, and included this sentence:

"But apparently CBS Radio has the U.S. rights to “Boom” in radio, based in part on an October 3 filing for a trademark."

So what could that mean?

I mean, we are talking about Radio One here, not an independent like the one that got a C&D from CBS up in Cleveland. This isn't some knee jerk reaction, Radio One has certainly already been in touch with CBS for the name usage here. Worse case scenario, if they for some reason DIDN'T, is to continue using the simple "B92" branding that's currently in place, or something generic like "Old School 92".

Boom!......

....at 5pm. Get those recorders ready.

This might be the totally wrong frequency to do classic rap hiphop people north of 1960 will not be able to listen with a good solid signal. 92.1 and 107.5 just might be the worst signals to the north parts of Houston

but the Classic Hip-Hop?? Nothing is classic about it.....the current generation does not care about classic anything....they only care about the latest/newest/hottest....anything "classic" to them means old and they dont want that.

Disagree...ALOT of young kids love old school hip hop.

I'm 22, anything that goes bang bang with a sick beat I like turning up. LOL

Boom!

"Ain't Nuthin' but a G Thang, Baby...."

"Regulators! Mount up! I gotta car full of girls, and it's going real swell. The next stop is the east siiiiiiiiiide Moteeeeeeel."

Don't mind me, I'm just getting ready fo' some ol' school.

I'm 48, and while I care nothing for the current hip hop product, old school from the 80s & 90s? This is going to be fun to listen to...

...for awhile, lol.

"Hey DJ, keep playing that song, all night. On and on and on....."

Oh hey! This means we'll be hearing Run DMC's "Christmas in Hollis" in the next month or so...

"It's Christmas time in Hollis Queens, mom's cooking chicken and collard greens.".....

Yeah, I'll stop now.... :D

Edit to add: I remember way back when, one of us actually had this idea for 92-1. Did a little research and here you go: http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?457785-Since-we-re-flipping-formats-here

Only took nearly 10 years for it to happen, but hey, it IS happening.

Last edited:
As much as we baby boomers want to wish rap away, it's been mainstream for nearly 30 years now, long enough for its first decade to be "classic." It's what a whole lot of teens of all races and ethnicities were listening to in the '90s. This isn't a niche or a fad format, it's the future of oldies/classic hits. Whether a companion format featuring the rock that the rhythmic CHRs wouldn't play back in the day will emerge is doubtful, as the demographics may well be too narrow.

Oh hey! This means we'll be hearing Run DMC's "Christmas in Hollis" in the next month or so...

"It's Christmas time in Hollis Queens, mom's cooking chicken and collard greens.".....

Yeah, I'll stop now.... :D

Edit to add: I remember way back when, one of us actually had this idea for 92-1. Did a little research and here you go: http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?457785-Since-we-re-flipping-formats-here

Only took nearly 10 years for it to happen, but hey, it IS happening.

I think it will work for the 38-50 adults demo. Maybe add some new jack hits as well and it could take off. I remember when KJMZ turned in to V100 up here in D/FW. It took off with a bullet. Granted V100 was an urban ac, but its the same concept in my mind. Most folk my age cant stand the crap that is coming out now in hip hop.

I think it will work for the 38-50 adults demo. Maybe add some new jack hits as well and it could take off. I remember when KJMZ turned in to V100 up here in D/FW. It took off with a bullet. Granted V100 was an urban ac, but its the same concept in my mind. Most folk my age cant stand the crap that is coming out now in hip hop.

I think you got the age group wrong 30 to 50 and if they play any stuff from the last 11 yrs it will fail hard. If the play list nothing newer than 2001 it should do just fine

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom