• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Boo..hiss..to Audacy

the tech in the Carver TX-11 FM stereo tuner:
^^^
"In my area, 10 or 12 stations are too noisy for stereo. Pressing the buttons made every one listenable and acceptable!"

The Carver FM tech could (and should) have been used in vehicle FM radios (probably still could be, maybe DSPized).

I had one of those Carvers for many years. The noise reduction eliminated the hiss on weaker FM stereo stations, but it narrowed the stereo image and created a hollow sounding effect with attenuated highs. For its time it was a very creative solution, though. Bob Carver designed some great equipment back then.

These days that sort of thing is all done with a DSP chip in the receivers. I believe some of the modern shark fin antennas on newer cars use some sort of diversity design too.

There's probably some additional psychoacoustics data obtained in the past 40 years that could be used to enhance the Carver FM tuner stereo improvement tech - anyway, in a vehicle, IMHO, the fidelity loss is outweighed by the relative consistency of the sound (minimal change when the vehicle FM radio receives a weak signal and/or is in a severe multipath location).

Kirk Bayne

IMHO, the radio "industry" should have worked on improving analog FM reception (in vehicles) rather than devising HD...maybe called the improvement (wait for it)...FMax.

A problem people aren't discussing much here is that, even 20 years ago, radio was trying to get people interested in a product they really didn't want. For years, it solved that problem by piggybacking onto devices people actually wanted. HD Radio went badly wrong when it didn't work on that. As the Big A mentions several times, it required anyone who wanted to use its technology to pay for it. iBiquity should've been trying to get onto all those products that had radios that people were already buying. Radio was able to grow, or at least maintain, for years by being everywhere for everyone.

Another poster mentioned that we should've done with the Eureka standard that Europe is using. For a lot of reasons, that was probably not technically and bureaucratically feasible here, though it's a better technology than HD Radio. It doesn't, however, solve the problem I mentioned above, which is that nobody wants it. Outside of the UK and Scandinavia, DAB, for the most part, hasn't caught on, and any embrace of the change has been gradual. Norway shut off most, if not all FM's, around 5 years ago, but accomplishing that took almost 20 years, and only about 2/3 of the population had a DAB capable receiver when FM was shut down.

Gonna be really interesting when KROQ's ROQ of the 80's station dies out considering KROQ plays like, barely anyrhing under Audacy Ownership. Gen X listeners are gonna want their classics...

Another poster mentioned that we should've done with the Eureka standard that Europe is using. For a lot of reasons, that was probably not technically and bureaucratically feasible here, though it's a better technology than HD Radio. It doesn't, however, solve the problem I mentioned above, which is that nobody wants it. Outside of the UK and Scandinavia, DAB, for the most part, hasn't caught on, and any embrace of the change has been gradual. Norway shut off most, if not all FM's, around 5 years ago, but accomplishing that took almost 20 years, and only about 2/3 of the population had a DAB capable receiver when FM was shut down.
That system only "worked" where the government had extreme control over radio, which defines the state of the industry in the nations you mentioned. It was tried in Canada, and had no success at all.

I read through the thread.... Seems like all the bases have been covered. It's sad to see a technology that generally sounds good, like HD Radio, fade away to nothing, or next to it. I'm sure some channels will remain -- one of the local Seattle stations runs the Mormon church channel on their HD2 or HD3, and I'm sure it gets a few devout listeners, and maybe is sponsored by that church, so it will be on an HD2 when the rest of the HD2's are gone.

But anything 'radio' is old hat, and has been since the late 2000's, and this is even if it's fairly new tech like HD (when I say 'new' tech, remember -- HD is 20-odd years old, compared to FM's 90 years and AM radios 100-odd years). I think DAB sold as well as it did in some countries in Europe because they didn't have the plethora of OTA broadcast stations a typical metro in the US has. Going to DAB was almost an upgrade because with DAB there were new stations available -- in most parts of Norway, for example -- at least.

Gonna be really interesting when KROQ's ROQ of the 80's station dies out considering KROQ plays like, barely anyrhing under Audacy Ownership. Gen X listeners are gonna want their classics...

KROQ should have had its license revoked by the FCC for dumping Rodney (who has since gone to Sirius XM.) One of the biggest mistakes any station ever made in all of North America. KROQ won't be missed.

one of the local Seattle stations runs the Mormon church channel on their HD2 or HD3, and I'm sure it gets a few devout listeners, and maybe is sponsored by that church,
That is because the stations, KIRO-AM/FM and KTTH-AM, are owned outright by the Mormons.

"Bonneville International Corporation is a media and broadcasting company, wholly owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) through its for-profit arm, Deseret Management Corporation."

KROQ should have had its license revoked by the FCC for dumping Rodney (who has since gone to Sirius XM.) One of the biggest mistakes any station ever made in all of North America. KROQ won't be missed.
Rodney was on in the middle of the night one night a week, and is probably making more money a week at Sirius than he was at KROQ.

KIRO FM HD2 carries KIRO-AM Seattle Sports. HD3 is KTTH. Has been for several Years.
But how many years previous to that change was the Mormon church channel run, though? It was every time I tuned through the HD2's and HD3's, up to maybe two years ago.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom