• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bob O Is Back In Mornings

I just heard a few minutes ago that Bob O is back in mornings on WGNY-FM “Fox Oldies” replacing Van Ritshie. I don’t know why Van is short lived after 8 months of doing mornings back in April. Van’s last show was on Wednesday, and Thursday and Friday are not here.

No word on what they are going to be replaced in middays, maybe bring back Sunny Joe Allan to middays.

Any thoughts?

In addition to his morning show, he is still doing middays for now. This bring Bob O to a total of 9 hours. That’s right! 9 hours. Bob O now doing mornings, and then he does middays. It starts at 6AM all the way through 3PM. No word on what the new midday host might be taking over. This is pure speculation for “Fox Oldies”.

I just heard a few minutes ago that Bob O is back in mornings on WGNY-FM “Fox Oldies” replacing Van Ritshie. I don’t know why Van is short lived after 8 months of doing mornings back in April. Van’s last show was on Wednesday, and Thursday and Friday are not here.

No word on what they are going to be replaced in middays, maybe bring back Sunny Joe Allan to middays.

Any thoughts?

Has Bob O been named the regular host or is. he just temporary? I been recording Vans shows but missed his last show on Friday.if anyone would like me to post his last Thursday show just let me know.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Has Bob O been named the regular host or is. he just temporary? I been recording Vans shows but missed his last show on Friday.if anyone would like me to post his last Thursday show just let me know.

Thanks for the info. I guess Van Ritshie was not on Friday, his final show was around Tuesday or Wednesday. And now, Bob O takes over on both mornings and midday shifts and it would his first and only 9-hour show. I don’t know what is going on with Van Ritshie these days. I’m not a Van Ritshie fan. I guess he left the station last week, but I’m not sure maybe might be coming back or not. And now, Bob O is back on board for the rest of the 9-hour shift doing both mornings and middays.

And like I mentioned before, no word on what they will be replacing Bob O on middays if it’s available. Why not bring back Lorrie G back to morning and pairing up with Bob O since they have not doing mornings together since 2014.

I hope WGNY-FM’s “Fox Oldies” is making some changes coming soon. Maybe they should bring back Sunny Joe Allen for middays or bring back Gene Slather since he has not been on this station since 2015. I don’t see it happening anytime soon. We’ll keep you posted.

Thanks for the info. I guess Van Ritshie was not on Friday, his final show was around Tuesday or Wednesday. And now, Bob O takes over on both mornings and midday shifts and it would his first and only 9-hour show. I don’t know what is going on with Van Ritshie these days. I’m not a Van Ritshie fan. I guess he left the station last week, but I’m not sure maybe might be coming back or not. And now, Bob O is back on board for the rest of the 9-hour shift doing both mornings and middays.

And like I mentioned before, no word on what they will be replacing Bob O on middays if it’s available. Why not bring back Lorrie G back to morning and pairing up with Bob O since they have not doing mornings together since 2014.

I hope WGNY-FM’s “Fox Oldies” is making some changes coming soon. Maybe they should bring back Sunny Joe Allen for middays or bring back Gene Slather since he has not been on this station since 2015. I don’t see it happening anytime soon. We’ll keep you posted.

I myself think WGNY should be playing nothing but late 60s and 70s (not from the disco era) to improve their image. After all playing this is what they did best in the 60s & 70s with super jocks and jingles not to mention the brilliant advertising commercials heard back then. I'm not a fan of other music eras though I still aircheck djs like Van Richie who's been on the air since the 1960s. I wonder if he will go back to his old station 1450 WKIP before he officially retires; though there's no hints WKIP will be going Oldies anytime soon.

I myself think WGNY should be playing nothing but late 60s and 70s (not from the disco era) to improve their image. After all playing this is what they did best in the 60s & 70s with super jocks and jingles not to mention the brilliant advertising commercials heard back then. I'm not a fan of other music eras though I still aircheck djs like Van Richie who's been on the air since the 1960s. I wonder if he will go back to his old station 1450 WKIP before he officially retires; though there's no hints WKIP will be going Oldies anytime soon.
Just to.correct what I said before, I don't have a show Van did on Thursday, the last day I have a show for Van is Tuesday November 29.

Just to.correct what I said before, I don't have a show Van did on Thursday, the last day I have a show for Van is Tuesday November 29.
One radio station that is overlooked in the Hudson Valley is WTBQ 1110 AM & 93.5 FM in Warwick, NY.
The owner of this small market station Frank Truatt runs a smooth mixture of talk and music programs though out the week. Frank recently celebrated 50 years on the radio, among stations in New Jersey and the Hudson Valley. WTBQ features non stop music from midnight till 2 AM then "Nat The Cat" comes on for four hours. Nat started at WSUS in Newton, NJ. At 6 AM its the Morning show with Frank Truatt, Frank starts the hour off with the best music.
then at 7 AM WTBQ presents community talk Taylor (PD) & company dealing with issues effecting various parts of the committee. WTBQ is also repeated in New Jersey on WGHT 1500 AM. at 1 PM is the John Tess show with todays hits. At 6 PM on Mondays Frank does an all 70s show for two hours. Val Martin is heard weeknights 6 PM till midnight.In conclusion WTBQ is worth its money or like WTBQ says "WTBQ Is Worth Listening To".

Last edited:
One radio station that is overlooked in the Hudson Valley is WTBQ 1110 AM & 93.5 FM in Warwick, NY.
The owner of this small market station Frank Truatt runs a smooth mixture of talk and music programs though out the week. Frank recently celebrated 50 years on the radio, among stations in New Jersey and the Hudson Valley. WTBQ features non stop music from midnight till 2 AM then "Nat The Cat" comes on for four hours. Nat started at WSUS in Newton, NJ. At 6 AM its the Morning show with Frank Truatt, Frank starts the hour off with the best music.
then at 7 AM WTBQ presents community talk Taylor (PD) & company dealing with issues effecting various parts of the committee. WTBQ is also repeated in New Jersey on WGHT 1500 AM. at 1 PM is the John Tess show with todays hits. At 6 PM on Mondays Frank does an all 70s show for two hours. Val Martin is heard weeknights 6 PM till midnight.In conclusion WTBQ is worth its money or like WTBQ says "WTBQ Is Worth Listening To".

Thanks for the info. My suggestion is WGHQ’s “Magic 92.5” is a much better radio station than WGNY-FM’s “Fox Oldies”. It plays 50’s and 60’s oldies, plus even more 70’s, a lot more 80’s and 90’s music that you don’t hear on “Fox Oldies”. This is a great station, and I hope WGHQ is going after WGNY, because of its competition, and I hope maybe WGHQ does very well, maybe WGNY-FM will be selling the station to Pamal. Sunrise Broadcasting is not going to be very happy if they can continue to make money, or else, they will be going into bankruptcy, and it will be selling the station to Pamal to put WGHQ’s format to 98.9. This is going to be my prediction starting in 2023.

And speaking of predictions, I listened to “Fox Oldies” this morning and Bob O is not on in mornings, and all I hear is nothing but dead air for about 3 minutes. All I hear is the music, traffic reports, newscasts, the music, and of course, dead air. WGNY-FM’s “Fox Oldies” is going crazy now.

Yesterday, Bob O did a fantastic job taking over mornings and remains in middays and it was his first ever 9-hour show. I don’t know how his show will last, but when I was listening to this morning, it’s just nothing but dead air, except the music, the newscast, and the traffic reports. I hope Bob O will come back in the next hour or so. If not, I will listen to either Scott Shannon on WCBS-FM, and I hope Scott Shannon is leaving the airwaves starting December 16th and I’m going to miss him so much. After Scott Shannon leaves, I am officially done with WCBS-FM. I will be listening to Bob Miller non-stop on WBPM where he takes over Scott Shannon’s time slot. Bob Miller is still the best than Scott Shannon. Starting January 2nd, I will be listening to JJ Carter on WBPM from 10AM until 2PM, and then John Gabriel on WROW’s “Magic 590/100.5” at 2PM until 7PM and Jimmy Howes from 7PM until 12AM on WALL. And like I said, maybe Bob O might be back later in the hour, and if he comes on, and if it’s still dead air, he will do the 10AM to 3PM midday show until 12/30. We shall see.

As of 8AM or so this morning, Bob O came back on the air and he would remain in mornings until 10AM, and guess what, Caroline Barton has returned to middays replacing Bob O for the first time in 8 months.

After listening to the first few minutes of Caroline Barton returns on WGNY-FM’s “Fox Oldies”, I decided to turn it off, because I can’t stand her too much. Her show is absolutely terrible. I decided to flip over to WBPM and listen to JJ Carter, because he sounds a ton better than Caroline Barton. But thankfully, it’s great to hear JJ Carter back once again to do middays replacing Bob O on “Fox Oldies” which is the other station. JJ Carter does an excellent job where he took over Bob O on the other station.

Caroline Barton sucks now. So I definitely go with JJ Carter than listening to that piece of garbage.

What’s going to happen to WGNY-FM’s “Fox Oldies” in evenings? I’m not sure yet, Caroline moved from evenings back to middays, but no word on whoever person to do evening should bring Joe Manglass back to evenings. He has not doing evenings since 2020.

After JJ Carter on WBPM, I will be listening to John Gabriel on WROW’s “Magic 590/100.5” to afternoons, because he does a great job replacing other people like either Bob Johnson or Cadence Bury.

Hello & Thank You for the add. This is my first post and hopefully not my last. Been a fan of local radio since the `70's when I was a young teenager. I listen in on many of the current local stations for sports, news and music for 8-10 hrs a day or more so I get a good dose of the airwaves and have some comments regarding the state of commercial and college radio as well. Since we're talking Fox Oldies here, I will say that right up until they made the switch back to Bob O (we'll get back to him) their programming has been God awful with the non stop incessant vintage TV & radio adds such as Gilligans Island, Slinky, Budweiser etc... etc... all day long wasting valuable airtime whilst I tune away so I don't have too listen to any of it again. That and the repetitious set list including many lemons like that horrible Three Jacks & a Jill song that somehow gets played 6 times a day everyday.

Which leads me back to Bob O whom I found out out from very reliable sources, "does everything over there" including too much say over the set list by the sounds of things. I find him to be un listenable at times with all his bluster and "I'll tell ya folks" type of stuff where he treats his audience like they're morons. IMHO, Fox Oldies has a great opportunity to really do a re-set and expand their playlist get some new blood in there but I'll take no more vintage ads all day long as a start. Caroline is horrible to listen to stumble and bumble through the mid day show. I liked Van who's a real pro but seems like bit of a loose cannon nowadays with some of his off the cuff material. Buffalo Bob is cool and Joe Manglas drags on too much.

I like both WFUV & WVKR (both are college stations) - WPDH really is just horrible anymore especially Boris & Robin (and they have the nerve to broadcast the "best of" on Sat morns) The best thing about WPDH is "Flashback" played on Sunday mornings. WALL radio is ok but again, way too repetitious and Kate Brannon in the morning is like eating milk toast. Van was much better. than her on the am. I like WDST in Woodstock but their signal is weak where I live.

I wonder if Van will re-surface again or if he's done

Signing off.

Van Ritshie has been a part of Hudson Valley radio longer than anyone I can think of. He dates back to at least the 1980's on WKIP. I believe he must be in his 80's. Perhaps he is suffering from age or health related issues, that have forced him off the air. I also ,know in the past his huge ego grated on some people sometimes. Anything said without direct knowledge is just pure speculation.
Is Bob O the PD at WGNY ? That would explain his influence on the station. I happen to enjoy listening to him.

Van Ritshie has been a part of Hudson Valley radio longer than anyone I can think of. He dates back to at least the 1980's on WKIP. I believe he must be in his 80's. Perhaps he is suffering from age or health related issues, that have forced him off the air. I also ,know in the past his huge ego grated on some people sometimes. Anything said without direct knowledge is just pure speculation.
Is Bob O the PD at WGNY ? That would explain his influence on the station. I happen to enjoy listening to him.
I remember Van working the late nights on WSPK 104.7 back in the mid `70's

Hello & Thank You for the add. This is my first post and hopefully not my last. Been a fan of local radio since the `70's when I was a young teenager. I listen in on many of the current local stations for sports, news and music for 8-10 hrs a day or more so I get a good dose of the airwaves and have some comments regarding the state of commercial and college radio as well. Since we're talking Fox Oldies here, I will say that right up until they made the switch back to Bob O (we'll get back to him) their programming has been God awful with the non stop incessant vintage TV & radio adds such as Gilligans Island, Slinky, Budweiser etc... etc... all day long wasting valuable airtime whilst I tune away so I don't have too listen to any of it again. That and the repetitious set list including many lemons like that horrible Three Jacks & a Jill song that somehow gets played 6 times a day everyday.

Which leads me back to Bob O whom I found out out from very reliable sources, "does everything over there" including too much say over the set list by the sounds of things. I find him to be un listenable at times with all his bluster and "I'll tell ya folks" type of stuff where he treats his audience like they're morons. IMHO, Fox Oldies has a great opportunity to really do a re-set and expand their playlist get some new blood in there but I'll take no more vintage ads all day long as a start. Caroline is horrible to listen to stumble and bumble through the mid day show. I liked Van who's a real pro but seems like bit of a loose cannon nowadays with some of his off the cuff material. Buffalo Bob is cool and Joe Manglas drags on too much.

I like both WFUV & WVKR (both are college stations) - WPDH really is just horrible anymore especially Boris & Robin (and they have the nerve to broadcast the "best of" on Sat morns) The best thing about WPDH is "Flashback" played on Sunday mornings. WALL radio is ok but again, way too repetitious and Kate Brannon in the morning is like eating milk toast. Van was much better. than her on the am. I like WDST in Woodstock but their signal is weak where I live.

Signing off.

Thanks for the long comment. And speaking of Bob O, I heard that Scott Shannon has left WCBS-

Signing off.

Thanks for the long comment on Bob O and the whole thing.

And speaking of Bob O, I just heard that Sunny Joe Allen is back on middays for the first time since March. Caroline Barton has been on middays for a while until she went back to evenings which I don’t normally listen to her. Sunny Joe has left the station back in March to go out on Long Island for another radio station which was WPTY-HD2 when it was on “Oldies 98.1” (now “Big 98.1”), and it never happened. He was supposed to do evenings, but it didn’t work out. So JVC decided it didn’t work, so they removed them from the website and the schedule until “Oldies 98.1” was rebranded to “Big 98.1” which is now a Classic Hits station instead of oldies.

Sunny Joe was supposed to go to WLNG to do fill-ins for other DJ’s, but he didn’t do WLNG for sure, and after a 9-month hiatus, he returned to the Hudson Valley to do middays replacing Bob O on WGNY-FM’s “Fox Oldies” to do the 10AM-3PM shift and he is still doing well after a 9-month break. I’m so glad to have him back.

And speaking of Sunny Joe, I heard the news that Scott Shannon has left WCBS-FM after 8 years of doing mornings. His last show was yesterday where he did a live broadcast from the Blythedale Children’s Hospital. I was the only one that I listened to his emotional farewell. After I finished listening to Scott Shannon’s final show, I stopped listening to CBS-FM after 4 decades of being a loyal listener to the original oldies format to the “Greatest Hits” format right up until the end where Scott Shannon was the last person to do a final show.

And now, I will be listening to oldies on a few stations like WROW’s “Magic 590/100.5”, WGHQ’s “Magic 92.5”, WMTR and WGNY-FM’s “Fox Oldies” which were still competitors, and I can still enjoying the oldies the way it sounded on CBS-FM back in the first 33 years when it was “New York’s Oldies Station”, and the “Golden 101”.

Last edited:
I have been a long time listener of WGNY-FM .I am a big fan of Van Ritshie, l will miss him, he treats his listeners with respect, and doesn't go on, and on about the sponsors of his radio show, like Bob Miller does, the Guido family restaurants, you think he had an interest in them. The old commercials like, Budwesier beer, slinky, Hoffman soda, are getting very boring, they are just too repetitive. The station needs to get rid of the worn out cds, and replace them with new ones, on some of there recordings all you here is the music and not the singers. Van Ritshie, always has interesting guests on his show that have very good information that his listeners can use. I don't know were Van Ritshie went, and hope he is well, and not having any health issues. I hope maybe some day he will return to WGNY-FM.

I have been a long time listener of WGNY-FM .I am a big fan of Van Ritshie, l will miss him, he treats his listeners with respect, and doesn't go on, and on about the sponsors of his radio show, like Bob Miller does, the Guido family restaurants, you think he had an interest in them. The old commercials like, Budwesier beer, slinky, Hoffman soda, are getting very boring, they are just too repetitive. The station needs to get rid of the worn out cds, and replace them with new ones, on some of there recordings all you here is the music and not the singers. Van Ritshie, always has interesting guests on his show that have very good information that his listeners can use. I don't know were Van Ritshie went, and hope he is well, and not having any health issues. I hope maybe some day he will return to WGNY-FM.

I do agree on that, and I hope that 2023 is going to be the worst year ever for WGNY-FM’s “Fox Oldies”. I hope my prediction is that Sunrise is going to go out of business once if they are not going to make money, and screwing up the airtime for example the TOH hourly newscast which is going to be about 15 minutes before the top of the hour, maybe someone needs to get fired or get laid off soon. Maybe I would like to see Bob O, Buffalo Bob Corsino and Caroline Barton needs to be let go from the station beginning around 2023, and maybe Sunrise should sell off the station to Pamal and maybe they will takeover the station and move WGHQ’s “Magic” to 98.9 and it will do a lot better than “Fox Oldies”. I hope “Fox Oldies” needs to die soon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom