• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bob Lobel to Oldies 103

"Non-compete clauses in broadcasting have been illegal in Massachusetts for over a decade."

-Maybe he's waiting out a right-to-match clause. Those seem to work in MA under the right circumstances.

Regarding Dale's weekend shift, and others, too, does anyone know how much, if any,
voice tracking is done at Oldies 103?

exxear said:
Regarding Dale's weekend shift, and others, too, does anyone know how much, if any,
voice tracking is done at Oldies 103?

I've heard that there has been very little, if any, tracking done there. As far as I know, the live shifts are really live.

Some of the specialty shows have been pre-recorded. The Saturday morning Top 20 Countdown was a rebroadcast of the previous Thursday evening show (up until last week), and occasionally Barry Scott pre-records "The Lost 45's" when he can't be there in person once in a while. But, that's not the same as voice tracking.

P Terrance Dactyl said:
Originally posted by WMC2006

Zito could very well end up in the morning with Karen. I thought he may start immediately in afternoon drive and take Karen's slot. Maybe he has
to wait out a non-compete clause.

Non-compete clauses in broadcasting have been illegal in Massachusetts for over a decade.

To be more accurate....Non-compete clauses that extend beyond the term of the contract are non-enforce-able.

Dark Knight wrote:
Maybe he's waiting out a right-to-match clause. Those seem to work in MA under the right circumstances.
Maybe, but he's coming from where? I would think that scale at WODS would be in the same ballpark or more as someone from Worcester? So do you think Worcester will outbid WODS?
LouBertoni wrote:
To be more accurate....Non-compete clauses that extend beyond the term of the contract are non-enforce-able
What you are suggesting is a breach of contract, not a non-compete clause.

If his contract runs until (say) the end of the year and whatever corporation he works for yanks him off air prior to that, great! He sits on the beach and cashes checks until his contract runs out. That is not a "non-compete". If he quits prior to the end of his personal service contact then he is prohibited from working for another station if his contract so states, again, that is not a Non-Compete.

A Non-compete is a stipulation in the personal contract or condition of employment that for X number of months or years following the end of your contract, termination by the corporation or resignation of an employee at will, you are prohibited from working for a station or corporation within XY number of miles of the original station or corporation.

Howie Carr screwed up when he began to negotiate prior to his contract with Entercom lapsing. (I personally thought it was hystical that Carr tried to use the non-compete law that was championed by a UNION, AFTRA, after he had led the charge to get AFTRA decertified at Entercom! lol

P Terrance Dactyl said:
Dark Knight wrote:
Maybe he's waiting out a right-to-match clause. Those seem to work in MA under the right circumstances.

LouBertoni wrote:

To be more accurate....Non-compete clauses that extend beyond the term of the contract are non-enforce-able

What you are suggesting is a breach of contract, not a non-compete clause.

Actually the contract itself is a "covenant not to compete".....you are agreeing to a non-compete for the period of the term of the contract.

The contract is simply an instrument to that effect.

What the court has said is that non-competes cannot extend beyond the term of the contract.

The contract, but it's very nature, is a "non-compete" agreement...ensuring exclusive us of the artists talents, bio, pictures, etc.

Lou...
How are we disagreeing on this?

What the court has said is that non-competes cannot extend beyond the term of the contract.

The contract, but it's very nature, is a "non-compete" agreement...ensuring exclusive us of the artists talents, bio, pictures, etc

A non-compete is a clause that prevents a person from working within X number of miles for X number of months or years beyond the end of their employment. Most radio folk these days are not covered by a personal or union contact but by a condition of employment that may contain the same restriction.

So, if you violate your contract or quit prior to it expiring, then you are still bound by the contract restrictuion(s). If you are fired, end your employment at will, or your contract expires then you are free to do as you please without restriction.

A contract is a contract however IF that contract contains a non-compete clause that extends beyond the life of the contract, that extension is illegal in Massachusetts.

Isn't that what I said?

MOVED: Re: Bob Lobel to Oldies 103

Some posts have been moved to Take It Outside.

[iurl]http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=110165.0[/iurl]

Just briefly tuned into Lobel and Karen Blake this morning just before 8am. Lobel is there, June Knight is there, and some guy whose voice I don't recognize is there. Sure wasn't Karen. Initially thought it was JJ Wright with a REALLY bad cold but, no, not him.

Finally, they went to Gina Tempesta for traffic, she said "Thanks JayBeau". It's JayBeau Jones. Haven't heard him on-air since he left WXLO. Karen must have been a late sick call or something.

Week 3 of "guest-host Bob Lobel". I still can't listen to them. But JayBeau is pretty good.

Lobel actually is very funny in the fact he looks totally lost when Karen starts cornering him on different topics, kind of fun to hear what he has to say because he gives a lot of "What the heck am I dong here answers to her.

jhnkill said:
Lobel actually is very funny in the fact he looks totally lost when Karen starts cornering him on different topics, kind of fun to hear what he has to say because he gives a lot of "What the heck am I dong here answers to her.

That can only go so far, though, before it becomes really tough to listen to.

I used to often throw WODS on in the morning with Uncle Dale, and the previous hosts over the years. The few times I've tried listening lately, I've heard Karen (a real pro who knows how to do a good morning show on her own) trying to keep the show together, trying to keep it coherent and funny, while Lobel kept pulling random non-sequitors off the top of his head that didn't flow and didn't go anywhere... Karen kept trying to find something, anything in what he said to play off of, and bring the conversation back onto some course that listeners could follow and identify with, and then Lobel would pull another lead balloon out of the air... it doesn't sound like it's gonna work. After any initial curiosity wears off, I don't see how this could improve their morning ratings.

WROR has countered with a new Loren & Wally promo that borrows from certain candidates in this years Presidential campaign... "Experience Counts"...

Lobel announced this morning that he's having more back surgery tomorrow and will be gone for a few weeks. Then, at some point, he'll be back for a few weeks. Then, more back surgery and gone for more time.

I guess this was where the "guest" part of the guest cohosting comes in.

So does Karen fly solo until he comes back or does someone else guest cohost?

Maybe Chris Zito comes in for a trial run.

Maybe Uncle Dale will pop in. :D

Karen has been solo-hosting without Lobel this week and has sounded much better and fully in charge. They did call Lobel at home several mornings this week to get his sports-oriented opinion on the Red Sox playoffs although I didn't hear it.

But from what I have heard, Karen is much better hosting alone. June Knight has acted as something of a semi-sidekick, much as she did with Dale.

Lobel will supposedly be out for about a week and a half total so may or may not return sometime later this coming week. Regardless, they continue to promote the morning show (almost incessantly) as "Guest host Bob Lobel and Karen Blake in the morning".

WMC2006 said:
Karen has been solo-hosting without Lobel this week and has sounded much better and fully in charge. They did call Lobel at home several mornings this week to get his sports-oriented opinion on the Red Sox playoffs although I didn't hear it.

But from what I have heard, Karen is much better hosting alone. June Knight has acted as something of a semi-sidekick, much as she did with Dale.

Lobel will supposedly be out for about a week and a half total so may or may not return sometime later this coming week. Regardless, they continue to promote the morning show (almost incessantly) as "Guest host Bob Lobel and Karen Blake in the morning".

WMC2006 -I have to agree. I listened mostly this past Friday and alittle bit earlier in the week. Karen actually sounded excellent on her own. In comparison ,when hearing her with Lobel he really dragged the show down. He just doesn't seem to fit "Oldies" in general. I really hope they rethink having him on fulltime. No doubt he has a following, but I just think he's uncomfortable to listen too. Maybe they could have him on some parttime basis.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom