• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bob Barker dies at 99

Sad to hear. Have mixed feelings as I enjoyed Bob way back in the day but didn’t appreciate his scumminess later on. Alas may he RIP.

My sentiments echo those of genius. Many entertainers can be complicated and sometimes the person you see on camera shows a different side vs. the person those working with and for them see once the studio lights are off. That said, this is a memoriam so I choose to remember the smiling, jovial host we saw presenting contests and handing out prizes each weekday. As tbolt909 correctly stated, Mr. Barker was an animal advocate as well, reminding everyone at the end of each show to spay or neuter their pets. He was also a bit of a pioneer when he broke an "ageism" stereotype; he stopped dying and slicking up his hair and walked on stage in the '80s with his natural grey and spent some time pointing it out to the audience on national TV. His cameo in the movie "Happy Gilmore" (where he insisted on doing most of his own stunt work) was also pretty priceless. RIP, Bob - say hi to Johnny Olson and Rod Roddy for us!

Last edited:
It seems that 100 is an elusive age; Betty White and Hugh Downs also passed away at 99. A more obscure game-show host, Woody Woodbury (he replaced Johnny Carson on "Who Do You Trust?"), is also 99. When I look at which classic game-show hosts are left, I see Peter Marshall (not sure of his age--96 or 97, I think), Wink Martindale (89), and Bob Eubanks (85); Pat Sajak is a relatively-young 77. I see very few who could be added to the list of classic hosts; Steve Harvey is the only name that comes to mind.

It's ironic that Barker died just over a week before the anniversary of his debut on "Price"; that was Sept. 4, 1972, and this year it will be on a Monday as it was that year. I hope, too, that Drew tapes some kind of tribute to be inserted into this Monday's show.

R.I.P. Bob, you'll be missed and you're great legendary host and heir property of The Price Is Right.

Let's hope if Buzzr will air the reruns tribute to him for the first time in network's history and not on Game Show Network anymore.

R.I.P. Bob, you'll be missed and you're great legendary host and heir property of The Price Is Right.

Let's hope if Buzzr will air the reruns tribute to him for the first time in network's history and not on Game Show Network anymore.
PlutoTV has nonstop TPIR reruns from the Bob Barker era. You can binge watch to your heart’s content.

Let's not forget Beulah, the chimp on "T or C".....
She'd blast the horn if someone gave a wrong answer or time ran out!!!:)
Couldn't do that today.....Folks would be screaming "Animal cruelty!!!":(
RIP. Mr. B........

I've been dreading this day for a long time. It might be long, but I need to put this out there.

Like many of us, I also grew up with Bob Barker, even when I was in diapers. Sick day from school? Summer vacation? Spring break? Christmas break? If it was 10AM (PT), the TV was on KIRO, always spent watching Bob Barker and Rod Roddy, then Rich Fields on Price. The excitement in the air lasted from the first minute to the last minute.

He had a professionalism to his hosting that no one could match. It didn't matter whether it was a housewife playing Any Number, a college girl screaming over hitting the $10K slot on Plinko, or a lucky guy going on a trip on 'the Goooolden road!', Bob treated his contestants in a special way. In the olden days when the show had a slightly longer running time, he would quib about contestants' shirts, military branches, or the strange ways they came on down. Far more than his 'have your pets spayed or neutered' speech at the end of his show, I remember when an Item Up for Bids had not only the prize but also a dog or cat waiting for adoption. And he would tell us the name of the animal, age, and encourage the audience to adopt this cute animal from the Los Angeles SPCA. I have no doubt many dogs and cats were waiting for Barker's arrival into Heaven today.

Bob had a sense of humor too, cracking up jokes when appropriate for the circumstance and one thing I always remember, whenever a contestant was one car away on Triple Play, or about ready to reveal the missing number on Golden Road's fabulous prize...he would walk away at the last millisecond and ask a silly question to the contestant. MORE than once! (BTW, you *KNEW* it was one of those special days when Bob came out of the audience with his long microphone in his hand. Has Drew ever done that since?)

Who can forget those "historic moments" too? He made a point of making it big news. The one I will always remember is when there was a double overbid and the poor second woman went over by $1. You could tell that Bob felt sorrow for that woman.

And he was as excited as the contestants, at least in a professional, calm demeanor. The thrill when someone hit the $10K space on Plinko. Winning Grocery Game by 10 or 20 cents. Double showcase winners. $10K winners on the Big Wheel, $10K winners on Punch-a-Bunch. Need I say more? Bob was a household institution, with ages 2-102. My grandmother (deceased last spring) also watched Price, more because she was waiting for The Young and the Restless to come on. But she played along at home, whenever she wasn't tending to the sheep and chickens, and made comments about those wacky contestants bidding crazy amounts, or thinking that a trip to Spain with airfare and hotel was only worth $1,500.

I hope that CBS preempts Monday's Price rerun and shows Barker highlights with Drew, George, and especially Rich Fields (if they can snag him out). Maybe even Roger Dobkowitz. Or that they do a primetime tribute special. Perhaps a couple of weeks of 'best of' Barker episodes leading to the S52 premiere from the new studios.

There will never be another host, or TV personality, like Bob Barker. Just as much as there won't be another female comedian like Betty White, or a late-night personality like Johnny Carson. Millions of Americans are mourning this weekend, young and old.
May he forever rest in peace. Say hi to Mark Goodson, Rod Roddy, and Johnny Olson for us. And remember to have your pets spayed or neutered.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I believe that a mark of a good game-show host is that he or she does not get down on the contestants' level. Contestants may jump up and down or run around the stage or whatever when they win, but the host needs to keep cool. Bob always did that, as did Monty Hall on "Let's Make a Deal." OTOH, there was somebody like Gene Wood, who would get as silly as the contestants on "Beat the Clock" (he was a much better announcer than host).
The behavior of the contestants on "Price" is a far cry from the Bill Cullen days, but Bob knew how to handle it.

Back
Top Bottom