• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bill Carter: Late-night television’s golden age is over

It could get worse / cheaper than James Corden? If it wasn't for carpool karaoke, that guy would have been yanked long ago, me thinks. That's to say nothing of the fact that he's supposedly full of himself and pretty much a d!ck to most everyone once the cameras are off..And sometimes even when they're rolling (as was the case when he got in a tiff with Patrick Stewart a few years back on another show).
What is not being mentioned... and your reference to "cheap" made me think about it... is the decline in quality of the network scripted shows. Poor editing, fewer shots and angles per scene, fewer different locations, obviously less rehearsal time on the script, mundane writing and unoriginal stories.

Here, I am speaking of the established shows, not the ones that are in less than two full seasons or the ones that were canceled. Some that I enjoyed watching while working on the website such as the "Chicago" trilogy and "Law & Order: Special Victims" which were very professionally done in past seasons are now trite and unexciting.

Fortunately, I missed several decades of scripted shows which I did not see in Puerto Rico, ranging from NYPD: Blue and ER to Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere so I can binge on them for a long time and forget about the ABC/NBC/CBS and Fox new offerings. Heck, if I am desperate I can even watch all the episodes of Melrose Place!

Puerto Rico didn't give you any of the Virgin Islands or C-Band Big 3 affiliates on cable? Or did you just have rabbit ears (WKAQ, WAPA, etc.)?
There are hardly any new TV shows that I watch anymore. Boring reality shows and crime dramas with the same predictable plot and setting. There were entire months during the pandemic when I didn't turn cable/broadcast TV on once, just watching movies instead. For now, America's Got Talent and the current Press Your Luck give me my TV excitement, and I'm not sure what will replace that in the fall...
Like I said, I don't watch late-night TV at all anymore. As for the comment about whether Gutfeld's YT clips get traction, they seem to. A recent appearance by Jane Fonda on Fallon (plus a silly game they played) only has about 50,000 views on YT, a recent appearance by Mindy Kaling on Colbert only has about 150K. Gutfeld's clips from the past couple of months have anywhere from 250K-1 million views. Bill Maher clips get about twice as much traction as Gutfeld, especially the 'New Rule' segments at the end of the show.

Puerto Rico didn't give you any of the Virgin Islands or C-Band Big 3 affiliates on cable? Or did you just have rabbit ears (WKAQ, WAPA, etc.)?
I had cable from the time it became available where I lived starting in the mid-80's. Prior to that, it was all over the air TV. That brought MTV and CNN, but not the US networks which were limited by sale of program rights to the local stations once they were dubbed into Spanish.

I mostly watched CNN and the local channels... but the local viewing was to see what ad accounts were active to make sure we were looking for their radio budget.

The Puerto Rico market is essentially 100% Spanish dominant. We had, in the 70's and 80's a couple of channels carrying the non-blacked out network shows but not live. Only a few sporting events would come in via satellite, which was very expensive.

As cable developed in the later 80's, there was more English language material as there was really nothing in Spanish that could be added to local channel offerings. For that reason, cable only served the higher income housing developments and neighborhoods where there might be interest in English shows.

And that was in San Juan. Out "on the Island" may places did not get cable till recently and even now some areas have no service.

3.31 million last night for ABC's The Bachelorette (well, that's primetime).
That’s not a great number really.
I'd describe that as a pretty terrible number, by historical standards.

Just 10 years ago, in 2012, The Bachelorette earned at least 5.8 million each of its season, and averaged 7.5 million across 12 episodes. The low point came, not unexpectedly, on the Memorial Day holiday.

In the early 90s, the hit prime-time shows on the Big 3 networks averaged 15-20 million viewers, led by 60 Minutes. The 20th place show was "America's Funniest Home Videos" with 13.4 million viewers.

In 2022, season-to-date, the hit prime-time shows on the big 3 networks average around 6 million viewers, still led by 60 Minutes. The 20th place show is "NCIS: Hawaii" with 5.5 million viewers.

EDIT: And I should point out, there are several tens of millions more Americans now than in 1992, so 20 million back then would be an equivalent rating to about 28 million now.

Last edited:
3.31 million last night for ABC's The Bachelorette (well, that's primetime).
"The Five" averaged 3.4 million viewers to finish August as the most-watched program on cable news. What's really impressive about that is it airs at 5pm on the east coast and at 2pm on the west coast. Imagine what it could do airing in primetime.

"The Five" averaged 3.4 million viewers to finish August as the most-watched program on cable news. What's really impressive about that is it airs at 5pm on the east coast and at 2pm on the west coast. Imagine what it could do airing in primetime.

Gutfield is not a late night show though. It's a talking heads show on a night.

However, it's lighter in tone than Tucker, Hannity, or The Ingraham Angle which are right-leaning talk/discussion programs. All of which are still beating out MSNBC or CNN at their respective time periods even in the 25-54 age group.
Meanwhile, Dan Abrams on WGN Am...I meant, NewsNation gets only 20,000 viewers...

the only reason why Gutfield is #1 is because a combo of "MAGA Fanbase" and the other late night shows trying to get past Summer which in recent year seems to be a quieter time for late night ratings as many late night shows go on hiatus more due to people chosing to spend their summers taking vacations and having fun over staying home and watch Late Night TV, and also not to mention, Jimmy Kimmel has in recent years chosen to skip the Summer months and let random people who are famous host his show while he's on vacation. i think Late Night TV should just have a May season finale and September season premiere to skip Summer and maybe have fill in late night shows during those months to test to see who should replace who if one of the late night shows' host wants out of late night TV.

and on the topic of the future of "The Late Late Show", i think John Oliver should take the slot if HBO via Warner Brothers Discovery's purge that lead to cancelations of shows and movie and frees him up to host the show that airs after Colbert, or if Oliver is retained by HBO, hire Samantha Bee as the host to help her stick it to WBD and allow a politically charged late night line up.

and finally, it might be possible Colbert's longer hiatus than usual for this time of year could be related to changes to the show since the show's recently announced a change of house band leaders as Jon Batiste got too big to be the house band leader of The Late Show and has left the show and Louis Cato has taken his place as official house band leader as he been the fill in leader in Jon's absence from the show. also Colbert i wouldn't be surprised if his studio in the Ed Sullivan Theater is getting a new look as he debut the set back when he took over from Letterman back in the fall of 2015, and i'm sure The Late Show is due up for a makeover look wise.

the only reason why Gutfield is #1 is because a combo of "MAGA Fanbase" and the other late night shows trying to get past Summer which in recent year seems to be a quieter time for late night ratings as many late night shows go on hiatus more due to people chosing to spend their summers taking vacations and having fun over staying home and watch Late Night TV, and also not to mention, Jimmy Kimmel has in recent years chosen to skip the Summer months and let random people who are famous host his show while he's on vacation. i think Late Night TV should just have a May season finale and September season premiere to skip Summer and maybe have fill in late night shows during those months to test to see who should replace who if one of the late night shows' host wants out of late night TV.

and on the topic of the future of "The Late Late Show", i think John Oliver should take the slot if HBO via Warner Brothers Discovery's purge that lead to cancelations of shows and movie and frees him up to host the show that airs after Colbert, or if Oliver is retained by HBO, hire Samantha Bee as the host to help her stick it to WBD and allow a politically charged late night line up.

and finally, it might be possible Colbert's longer hiatus than usual for this time of year could be related to changes to the show since the show's recently announced a change of house band leaders as Jon Batiste got too big to be the house band leader of The Late Show and has left the show and Louis Cato has taken his place as official house band leader as he been the fill in leader in Jon's absence from the show. also Colbert i wouldn't be surprised if his studio in the Ed Sullivan Theater is getting a new look as he debut the set back when he took over from Letterman back in the fall of 2015, and i'm sure The Late Show is due up for a makeover look wise.
The theatre got completely redone when Letterman left. The biggest facelift since 1994. They had more time to work in it since when CBS Bought the theatre. I doubt they change the set at this point. They will have to redo the open and maybe a new theme.

does Gutfeld get much buzz on youtube? I thought conservatives went to bed early cause they have jobs and that led to failure of Rush Limbaugh's syndicated TV show which aired late in most markets
I thought Rush's TV talk show lasted from 92 to 96 when it was canceled. I only knew about Rush having his own talk show on Dark Side Of The '90s a few weeks ago, I don't know where Rush aired in the West Michigan TV market I didn't know it was aired largely in late night. Dark Side didn't say that when they talked about his talk show on TV.

It could get worse / cheaper than James Corden? If it wasn't for carpool karaoke, that guy would have been yanked long ago, me thinks. That's to say nothing of the fact that he's supposedly full of himself and pretty much a d!ck to most everyone once the cameras are off..And sometimes even when they're rolling (as was the case when he got in a tiff with Patrick Stewart a few years back on another show).

More on Corden's rather well-documented rude treatment of others...Something he of anyone has definitely not earned the right to do.

Famed restaurateur and Instagram maven Keith McNally has banned late-night host James Corden from one of his restaurants, citing at least two instances of rude behavior toward staff.
In an Instagram post on Monday, McNally complimented Corden as a “hugely gifted comedian” before ripping into the Brit as “a tiny Cretin of a man” and “the most abusive customer to my Balthazar servers since the restaurant opened 25 years ago.”

By definition, they are celebrities. You not knowing them because of their platform does not change that. We are well into this new century, and social media isn’t going away. People there can attract attention on par with those in music, TV or movies.

You not knowing them isn’t the barometer.
Our not knowing them is part of the fun on "Generation Gap".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom