• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Big 100.3 - the worst classic rock station ever

I've been reading some of these other message boards, and apparently the DC metro area has a bad history with Classic rock. Big 100.3 is a perfect example of what is wrong with some classic rock stations. A very boring, repetitive playlist. They play the same old, cliched songs over and over again, while totally ignoring some great stuff by these same classic rock artists! It's very frustrating. I've actually complained about it to the program manager, and he said that to go outside the very limited set list, you would have to make a special request for a song. Why can't the DJs show some imagination? Are they not allowed to? I used to love 105.9 WCXR back in the day...in fact that's when I really started getting into classic rock. That station introduced me to a-lot of great songs, then I went out and bought the albums. And then later on (after a period of being smooth jazz) it became 105.9 The Edge, and that was pretty good too...they at least played a good variety of music. Anybody else here hate 100.3 as much as I do?

Well i think Marylands classic rock station 100.7 is a real good classic rock station but i really liked when 104.3 was classic rock, It seems that alot of formats are evolving from what they used to be.

Classic rock 94.7 also had a limited playlist and did a lousy job as an AAA station as well. And the program manager at 100.3 sounds like he's making excuses. I don't think there's anything we can do about limited playlists. And no, I don't work for a station. There's iPods, Pandora, mp3's, internet radio...

A repetitive, limited playlist has also been used effectively to eventually weed out a bad apple over time.

What's the point of torturing the listerners with a bad playlist?

Silkie said:
A repetitive, limited playlist has also been used effectively to eventually weed out a bad apple over time.

8th place, 6+ (all I have access to). When's the last time anything even close to this format did this well in DC?

Yeah, that was an interesting article...even before they became classic rock they had a very repetitive set list. They mention on that station that they play the songs that the listeners voted for....but I don't think that means that they should NEVER play other songs by those same artists. If you go to their facebook page, you will see that numerous people have complained about the sameness (not just me). One person described the playlist as "Brutally Repetitive". Right now they are doing the top 500 songs for Memorial Day weekend. And I've noticed that the 500 down to the 300 songs are the ones that I really love....the ones that they never, or extremely rarely, play. If they could just mix those songs in on a daily basis, without them having to be requested, that would be great.

Playlist size is arbitrary to a point.

Now, if the station is not performing to the company's expectations ratings wise it can mean:

They got a bad music test. (It happens occasionally.)

The music is being scheduled poorly (you rarely hear complaints about repeats if the scheduling is done right).

Too many commercials or interruptions. Or poor content on the part of the people on the air.

Yes, the list could be too short as well. Most classic rockers are between 300 and 800 songs with about 450 to 500 as "average" with some other additional songs as "spice". However, just throwing hundreds of songs on the air that one "thinks" might be good is usually a prescription for an instant ratings disaster.

But, also true: The **#^#%@ does rise to the top. You could test 1000 people a list of 1000 or more songs. And the same songs will be at the top of the list plus or minus about 3 percent.

What this means...the hits are the hits. And the crap is the crap. You play the hits and let the rest lie.

And let the record collectors stew because, frankly, they are usually in the minority of listeners, even though they usually don't like to hear that. And they will usually lead you astray if you let them.

I posted here before Radio Discussions removed the post (from the May website problems).

Anyways, I also get sick and tired of 300-song playlists. Soon it will probably be 200, 150, and finally News/Talk after PPM fails on them. Country stations have no more than 400 songs. Soft Rock plays the same burnt-to-a-crisp Michael Jackson, Adele, John Mayer, Coldplay, Natasha Bedingfield, Gotye. CHR has 50 songs and no variety. The only playlists that work (on commercial FM) are Bob/Jack/Whatever FM playlists. I see 1000+ sometimes on those stations. Also college radio stations.

-crainbebo

I'm just grateful there's still a classic rock station to listen to. All the other stations suck anyway.

Rallen1st, I am not grateful...it is just that bad. Soooo frustrating to hear great songs being ignored in favor of playing other ones over and over. Just today I heard "Black Dog" from Led Zeppelin. You want to know how many times they play that song? For too much! Yet, they never play "Misty Mountain Hop", "Since I've Been Loving You", "The Song Remains the Same", "What is and What Should Never Be", "Daze and Confused", "Tangerine", "Your Time is Going to Come" etc etc etc. These are the Zep songs that they do play with any regularity: The aforementioned "Black Dog", "Rock and Roll", "Stairway to Heaven", "Ramble On", "Living Loving Maid", occasionally "All Of My Love", and occasionally "Hey Hey What Can I Do". That's it, and that is pathetic. With other groups it's even worse- The only songs they usually play be Heart are "Magic Man", "Barracuda", sometimes "Crazy on You", and once in a blue moon "What About Love". By The Clash, it is just "Should I stay or Should I go", "Rock the Casbah" and once in a blue moon, "Train in Vain". By Blue Oyster Cult, it's just "Don't Fear the Reaper" and "Burning For You"....that's it!

And you are right about all the other stations sucking now. like others have mentioned, I have noticed that many stations are making their play lists more and more tight. It isn't just Big 100.3, though they are getting to be really bad. I do think they were a bit better as just an Oldies station, though they were still pretty repetitive even then.

Why is this happening? Are they trying to squeeze out free radio all together by making it unbearable to listen to?

Zepgirl75 said:
Rallen1st, I am not grateful...it is just that bad. Soooo frustrating to hear great songs being ignored in favor of playing other ones over and over. Just today I heard "Black Dog" from Led Zeppelin. You want to know how many times they play that song? For too much! Yet, they never play "Misty Mountain Hop", "Since I've Been Loving You", "The Song Remains the Same", "What is and What Should Never Be", "Daze and Confused", "Tangerine", "Your Time is Going to Come" etc etc etc. These are the Zep songs that they do play with any regularity: The aforementioned "Black Dog", "Rock and Roll", "Stairway to Heaven", "Ramble On", "Living Loving Maid", occasionally "All Of My Love", and occasionally "Hey Hey What Can I Do". That's it, and that is pathetic. With other groups it's even worse- The only songs they usually play be Heart are "Magic Man", "Barracuda", sometimes "Crazy on You", and once in a blue moon "What About Love". By The Clash, it is just "Should I stay or Should I go", "Rock the Casbah" and once in a blue moon, "Train in Vain". By Blue Oyster Cult, it's just "Don't Fear the Reaper" and "Burning For You"....that's it!

And you are right about all the other stations sucking now. like others have mentioned, I have noticed that many stations are making their play lists more and more tight. It isn't just Big 100.3, though they are getting to be really bad. I do think they were a bit better as just an Oldies station, though they were still pretty repetitive even then.

Why is this happening? Are they trying to squeeze out free radio all together by making it unbearable to listen to?

If WBIG is so bad, why are they in the Top 10 in the ratings? Maybe it's because they're playing what the MAJORITY of their target audience wants. What part of "majority rule" don't you understand and why do you want to cram your minority tastes down the throats of the majority?

I sometimes wonder if the stations are getting the message that listeners have complained about playing the same overplayed songs over and over and over like "You Shook Me All Night Long", and aforementioned songs?

Mark Jeffries- I never said they should stop playing those popular hits all together. I only want them to mix it up a little bit. Play the lesser heard songs by these same classic rock artists. They happen to be leaving out some great songs! If you go to their facebook page you will see other people leaving negative comments about the sameness of the set lists, and asking for more variety. Let me ask you something- what is so wrong with a little variety? Are you perfectly ok with hearing the same songs over and over again? As a classic rock fan, I find being force fed just the mundane big hits to be really insulting. Yes, I like "Hotel California" by The Eagles. I am very well aware that that song was a huge hit.....I don't need to hear it ad nauseum to be reminded of that. Play something different! You mentioned the big ratings- I have the theory that it is only because there are no other classic rock stations available in the area. So, die hard classic rock fans like myself are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I still listen to Big 100.3 myself, but usually end up changing the station out of frustration.

I think the problem is kind of twofold

1st most of those who complain about the tight playlist are what we used to call "active" listeners those who may be passionate about their favorite music or radio station. They're the ones who comment on social media/message boards, call radio stations with requests etc. Unfortunately for those advocating a larger playlist you're in the minority. The majority of radio listeners are and have been those who could be called "passive" listeners - one who might "like" a certain kind of music or radio station but also listens to others and is much less passionate that the active listeners - a lot of passive listeners are pretty much "button punchers" going from one station or format to another.

2nd Ok say a classic rock station run by a mega-station company like Clear Channel (read keeps costs REAL LOW) was to embrace an expanded playlist - what songs should be added. For every song that one says is great and should be added another will say it sucks and forget adding it. So you wind up ticking off listeners anyway. Unless a station has a huge budget for music research (which many today don't) it just won't happen. Business wise (and that's all that counts anymore) it's easier and much more cost effective to keep pumping out the sure fire hits over and over again.

I love classic rock - I was on the air and programmed progressive/AOR radio stations back when these classic rock songs were brand new and I have my own solution it's called an mp3 player. It has all the deep cuts and hits I like. But, I have my alarm clock set to WBIG and I tell you it's great to wake up to the Who's Won't get Fooled Again or Back in Black by AC/DC. As a very occasional listener it's better than nothing.

I'd say CC knows what it's doing with 100.3.

They have arguably played a role in knocking two other stations out of the format (94.7 & 105.9). In fact, WBIG's ratings seem to consistently outperform what 94.7 WARW earned during its final five years of existence (perhaps even longer than that).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom