• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

best DJs in Tennessee radio history

Who are some of the best djs in Tennessee radio history? The ones who would be in the Tennessee broadcasting hall of fame, if there were such a place. (Maybe there is!) Anyway, discuss!

(I would start a companion thread for the "worst" djs in Tennessee radio history, but I didn't want to offend anyone. But if you want to start such a thread, feel free! Just don't nominate me to it! ;D)

That's a great site! But it appears to be fairly new. This year's class is the "inaugural" class, and there are some yet to be completed bios on some of the board members. But otherwise, fascinating reading! Some of these guys I had never heard of, but that was largely due to my not living in their listening area, or maybe even not even being born yet!

I was glad to see that Rick Dees has made their list, but I am hoping that some other guys that I grew up listening to, like Olson, Conley, and Prestigiacomo at FM 100 in Memphis, soon make the list. Olson, from what I understand, is still there, and Conley and Prestigiacomo were there for many years. The three of them pretty much made up all the dayparts (morning, mid-day, and afternoon) on FM 100 for many years.

Ralph Emery
Eddie Stubbs
Pat Sajak
Gerry House
Coyote McCloud
Georeg D. Hay
Charlie Chase

George Hay was a reporter for the Memphis Commercial Appeal in the 1920's when the paper started a radio station. He transitioned over to the radio side as an announcer, and within a year or so made it to WLS, Chicago. There he hosted the National Barn Dance program. WSM came calling, and Hay brought the concept with him to Nashville.

The Barn Dance program followed a network broadcast of the Metropolitan Opera. Hay, off-the-cuff, ad libbed that for the previous hour they had been listening to the grand opera, and now they were going to hear the Grand Ole Opry... and a new brand was born.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom