• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Best AAA station

Currently:

1. KFOG/San Francisco. Dennis Constantine has saved this station from irrelevance, in my opinion.
2. WXRT/Chicago. Always reliable.
3. WMMM/Madison. Seems to be a little more experimental than last I heard.
4. KINK/Portland. Chris Mays is doing a good job with this station. It's better during the overnights.

Radical348 said:
Currently:

1. KFOG/San Francisco. Dennis Constantine has saved this station from irrelevance, in my opinion.
2. WXRT/Chicago. Always reliable.
3. WMMM/Madison. Seems to be a little more experimental than last I heard.
4. KINK/Portland. Chris Mays is doing a good job with this station. It's better during the overnights.

Can't agree on Dennis.

Please check out WKZE! I've just discovered this little mom and pop gem, and it is very unique. I'm urging them to upgrade their webstream audio processor, so hopefully in the future, you won't notice drastic level changes from song to song. Still, I've become addicted to this "not like any other" radio station. I think I've heard every type of genre on this station now, of course except the overplayed stuff.

http://www.mainstreamnetwork.com/listen/player.asp?station=wkze-fm

I'm so glad stations like this still exist.

I've been listening actively to AAA radio for about a year and have enjoyed reading this thread. It's been gravedug a few times already, so I might as well dig it up one more time. ;D

Some of my current favorites:

- WXRV/Boston - Probably the first AAA station that really clicked with me. IMO, it has almost the perfect balance of the familiar & the slightly obscure. At times I do find it getting a little tame for my tastes, but usually that doesn't last for too long.
- WCOO/Charleston, SC - If WXRV is getting a little sleepy or I'm just in a mood to hear the charting stuff they're not playing, this is a good 2nd choice for me.
- KCSN/LA - Currently my favorite NPR AAA. A great music discovery station, with just enough familiar tunes to keep it from seeming too obscure.
- CHHR/Vancouver - An excellent example of how to do adult alternative while keeping it relatively uptempo. It might be a little too commercial for some, but at least for U.S. listeners, the CANCOM tunes help boost the "discovery" music quotient.

And a couple honorable mentions:

-WTTS/Indianapolis - A good AAA/classic rock hybrid, & the closest AAA within driving distance that I care for (I'm in Cincy). Plus the yearly "World Class Rock A-to-Z" stunt is great.
-WCLZ/Portland, ME - Close to WXRV or WCOO, but dips more into non-charting folk/Americana stuff (at least 1-2 tracks an hour).

after browsing this thread plus my own favorites I'd say
Wfuv and its hd 2 and 3
Kexp
89.3 the current
kcrw
wrnr

and though it calls itself an alt rock station 90.5 hd2 wbjb as they are more adventurous then a straight ahead alt rock station would be

wrlt lightning 100

Re: Favorite AAA Station(s)

You may want to try (Clear Channel's) NEW Radio 94.9 from Fort Collins CO. which is good I been listren to it on iheartradio.

I have a few.

-WCNR-FM Charlottesville, VA. (106.1 The Corner)

-WWNU-FM, Columbia, SC (92.1 the Palm).

-WCOO-FM, Charleston, SC (105.5 the Bridge)

-WUIN, Wilmington, NC (98.3 the Penguin).

-WXPK Westchester, NY (107.1 the Peak).

You guys should check out Birmingham Mountain Radio - it was internet-only for the last 3 years, and they just put it on an FM translator at 107.3 - kind of similar to Lightning 100 in Nashville, but they lean a little more mainstream during the daytime (which is great, because Birmingham doesn't have a Hot AC or an Alternative station) - and it's current-based, unlike most other AAA stations in the Southeast

They stream on www.bhammountainradio.com

atlantaboy said:
You guys should check out Birmingham Mountain Radio - it was internet-only for the last 3 years, and they just put it on an FM translator at 107.3 - kind of similar to Lightning 100 in Nashville, but they lean a little more mainstream during the daytime (which is great, because Birmingham doesn't have a Hot AC or an Alternative station) - and it's current-based, unlike most other AAA stations in the Southeast

They stream on www.bhammountainradio.com

Good station... I've known about them and listened to them for a few years now. Have them on my iPhone's Tune In favorites list.

Now if anyone from the station is reading this, PLEASE tighten it up! Not the playlist, the segues from track to sweeper and/or commercial. Sounds soooo amateur. LOTS of dead air ... That shouldn't happen on a first class professional operation.

Atlantaboy, check out 102.7 The Peak/Vancouver. Not too much classic stuff, pretty familiar playlist, and "Chocolate" by The 1975. It's on my TuneIn and I think you'd enjoy it. Basically Cities 97, but more Alternative and less Hot AC.

chrocket87 said:
Atlantaboy, check out 102.7 The Peak/Vancouver. Not too much classic stuff, pretty familiar playlist, and "Chocolate" by The 1975. It's on my TuneIn and I think you'd enjoy it. Basically Cities 97, but more Alternative and less Hot AC.

I like it a lot, but are you sure it's AAA? Based on what they just played, it sounds Alternative (Matt & Kim, Awolnation, other synth track in between...)

Birmingham Mountain Radio is almost all acoustic, like Lightning 100 - sounds like a different format IMO

RBRadioWaves said:
I have a few.

-WCNR-FM Charlottesville, VA. (106.1 The Corner)
-WWNU-FM, Columbia, SC (92.1 the Palm).
-WCOO-FM, Charleston, SC (105.5 the Bridge)
-WUIN, Wilmington, NC (98.3 the Penguin).
-WXPK Westchester, NY (107.1 the Peak).
Thanks, RBRW. While I'm quite familiar with WXPK and have heard WCNR, I wasn't aware of the other 3. Very much enjoying WUIN and WWNU. And WCOO's playlist looks very promising.

WUIN reminds me a bit of independent Americana/Roots outlets WHAY, Whitley City, Kentucky (Hay 98.3, for now) and WWHP, Farmer City, Illinois (98.3 The Whip) which are both quite varied in their output yet well-programmed.

While I'm here, let me second earlier votes for WKZE in Salisbury, CT/Red Hook NY.

Let me also mention WZXP in Au Sable, New York/Burlington Vt. which unfortunately doesn't stream right now. I wish ZXP could get its act together and line up some streaming firm up there for a trade-out deal that also covers royalties. It shouldn't be that tough. The station's programming is an encyclopedic history of rock and current blues/roots rock, a real treat. It's a shame most of us can't hear it. Some may remember the format from when it did stream a few years back under the WCLX calls (not the current CLX format).

FYI - The man who programs The Mountain out of B'ham also programs the AAA and Alternative stations on the Got Radio app that you can also listen to via tunein.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom