• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Beat 100.9 Mexico City

M

Mid West Clubber

As far as I know, this is the only Dance Music Format in Mexico...CORRECT....????

Anyone, does anyone know how well this station does, can they sell it pretty good, or is it a bottom feeder? Also, who owns them? Is it a large company or a mom and pop organization. Anyway, just tell me all the info you happen to know about this station. Im sure David Eduardo can probably tell me a thing or two. Also, why do they call it Beat (TEN o Nine) instead of 100.9... Just wondering, is this common in Mexico?

Mid West Clubber said:
As far as I know, this is the only Dance Music Format in Mexico...CORRECT....????

Yes, and for good reason.

Anyone, does anyone know how well this station does, can they sell it pretty good, or is it a bottom feeder?

I'm surprised it has lasted this long. In the last Arbitron, a year ago, it had a 0'.8 and was 28th in the market. In today's INRA ratings, it is in the same area. Very niche.

Also, who owns them? Is it a large company or a mom and pop organization.

There are some family owned stations in Mexico City, but there are no "mom and pop" stations in the world's largest city.

XHSON is owned by NRM Communications, the company produced by the merger of Núcleo Radio Mil and SOMER some years back. Núcleo Radio Mil goes back to the 50's, when clusters started to form in Mexico CIty. By 1963 (when I interned at a competitor) they had 1000, 1380, 590, 1410 and a CP for 1530 AM.

Anyway, just tell me all the info you happen to know about this station. Im sure David Eduardo can probably tell me a thing or two. Also, why do they call it Beat (TEN o Nine) instead of 100.9... Just wondering, is this common in Mexico?

I think they are trying to be clever.

The funny thing is that they took the tropical / salsa format of La Sabrosita off 100.9 and put it on 590 AM where it is 11th in 12+, while the FM has now about a quarter of the audience that Top 8 XHSON had as a salsa station.

Is that the former rock 101? I find it hard to think of Mexico City FM without Rock 101, although it's been gone for years.

Thanks for the info David, i knew you would know this. How is the signal on Beat 100.9, is it a flamethrower, a low powered rimshot????? Mexico City is so big, I would imagine that such a big city would be hard to cover without sufficient Tower Height and Power. Isnt it like even bigger than L.A and London,,,Well, maybe not London?

Mid West Clubber said:
Thanks for the info David, i knew you would know this. How is the signal on Beat 100.9, is it a flamethrower, a low powered rimshot????? Mexico City is so big, I would imagine that such a big city would be hard to cover without sufficient Tower Height and Power. Isnt it like even bigger than L.A and London,,,Well, maybe not London?

All the Mexico City commercial FMs are licensed to the city. Latin America does not have many independent suburbs like the US... cities just grow and absorb the areas around them. Mexico City is a little different as the Federal District is relatively small, and all the towns from the surrounding State of Mexico are part of the Metro. Total: 23 million.

The FMs range from about 60 kw to nearly 200 kw. All are between about 200 meters and nearly 600 meters above the center of the market. None have any signficant coverage issues.

BTW-- Mexico City proper is probably no wider than 20 miles across. But it is very densely populated. There are a lot of ears within a 10 mile radius. Your FM doesn't need huge coverage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom