• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"BCE laying off 1,300 people and pulling plug on 9 radio stations across Canada" - CBC Canada

Weirdly, there isn’t that much of a drive by the Canadian government or the CRTC to keep AM around like it is stateside (given the recent political grandstanding around Ford and EVs and car stereos).
Other than the NAB and station owners pushing for AM inclusion, there is not much in the US either. Politicians see no downside, and would love to punish big business auto makers, so there is an upside for them and no negatives.
It’s telling that Bell outright sacrificed six AMs because (among other reasons) the marketplace can’t support them. If iHeartMedia or Cumulus were given that option here, they’d do the exact same thing and you couldn’t fault them for doing so.
The real issue in in the US is that many public companies have not made adjustments in asset valuations that are adequate for the loss on any closure or sale. The true impairment charge would affect current P&L's when they least need that.

Maybe Moses Zaminer might buy the stations in Windsor, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, and one of the two Vancouver stations to turn his "Zoomer Radio" format national, perhaps with local morning shows in each of those markets.
Zimmer is pretty old, so I don't see expansion for him... I don't know whether he has family or associates to keep up the effort, which is not improving with age.

Zimmer is pretty old, so I don't see expansion for him... I don't know whether he has family or associates to keep up the effort, which is not improving with age.
It's not just that, but if he did not get the 96.7 FM repeater for Toronto, he too also threatened to shut down his AM station.
I doubt he wants more AM stations, unless he can get an FM repeater to go with them...

He reminds me a lot of Saul Levine in the present day, someone who has already accomplished a lot with nothing more to prove, and can run his two radio stations and two TV channels for the heck of it.

Of note, Moses’s sister Libby Znamier recently moderated a Toronto mayoral candidate debate that his TV system originated. So maybe there does exist some interest among the family to continue things after him, who knows?

What's the deal with CFRN 1260? It was the only sports station in Edmonton, a metro with at least two pro teams (the CFL team and NHL team). Were their ratings (which I'm told repeatedly do not count with sports and similar networked stations) that nonexistent?

Last edited:
It's not just the land value, it's also the ever increasing cost of maintaining old antiquated towers.
If any engineers care to chime in and comment, please do...
The article that Theater linked says it all. Advertising going to Google and the like. Local media having less and less revenue.

AM stations have vastly less listening, so ad rates are lower. No profit.

A well maintained tower is like a well maintained building. We are not tearing down the Empire State Building or that skinny thing with the scary transparent glass observation deck floors in Toronto just because they are old.

The WLW tower in Cincinnati is going on 90 years old, and is neither any more costly to maintain nor any more antiquated than a tower built last year. All towers have maintenance, such as guy wire tension and painting, but they can last lots more time than radio has even been around.

The article that Theater linked says it all. Advertising going to Google and the like. Local media having less and less revenue.

AM stations have vastly less listening, so ad rates are lower. No profit.
But Bell Media has over 100 stations in 58 markets in Canada., which is large for a Canadian radio operation.

Is this a reflection on radio in Canada, the financial health of the clusters in question, or something else?

But Bell Media has over 100 stations in 58 markets in Canada., which is large for a Canadian radio operation.

Is this a reflection on radio in Canada, the financial health of the clusters in question, or something else?
It is a reflection of the continued decline of AM to the point that there are few opportunities for profit on such stations. We knew the end was near for several of the Bell stations when they put an all-comedy format on them, an obvious placeholder while they figured out what to do with them.

It is a reflection of the continued decline of AM to the point that there are few opportunities for profit on such stations. We knew the end was near for several of the Bell stations when they put an all-comedy format on them, an obvious placeholder while they figured out what to do with them.
Don't forget that right into the early 90's AM radio in Canada was protected. There was a rule that FM had to play 49% non hits on top of (back then) 30% Canadian content music. (now 35-40%)
Once that 49% non hit rule was scrapped, AM no longer had any protection, along with less usefulness.

This is why, if the CRTC were so serious about protecting AM radio, they should have scrapped the CAN CON rules for AM when they terminated the 49% non hit rule.
That would have at least given desire to maintain oldies and classic hit formats on AM for a while longer.
Oh well...

The comedy and business AM stations I can understand. But we keep being told here on RD that sports talkers on AM do well even with no ratings. Because they have a lock on potential male listeners. And Edmonton is a fairly big sports town. CFRN was the only sports station in the market, at least as far as I can ascertain.

So it's different in Canada with sports talk than it is in the US?

The comedy and business AM stations I can understand. But we keep being told here on RD that sports talkers on AM do well even with no ratings. Because they have a lock on potential male listeners.
That is the way media buying in the US takes place in the US, a very large nation with lots of segmentation in ad buys. I suspect that there is a lot less "Sports Marketing" budget assignment in Canada and all sports, available in just a handful of markets, is not given a specific budget there.

Hopefully someone involved with Canadian media can give some additional depth to this.
And Edmonton is a fairly big sports town. CFRN was the only sports station in the market, at least as far as I can ascertain.
But name the Canadian markets with all-sports stations. Very few, and compared to the US with well over 100 and there is just not a well defined segment worthy of separate budget assignments.
Just based on the number of stations makes me think so... and they also have a francophone province, further fragmenting the sports audience.

The comedy and business AM stations I can understand. But we keep being told here on RD that sports talkers on AM do well even with no ratings. Because they have a lock on potential male listeners. And Edmonton is a fairly big sports town. CFRN was the only sports station in the market, at least as far as I can ascertain.

The land CFRN sits on is worth millions of CAD$. While the station was probably doing better than the others shutting down, they probably saw this as an opportunity to shutdown CFRN as well so the land can be divested.

But name the Canadian markets with all-sports stations. Very few, and compared to the US with well over 100 and there is just not a well defined segment worthy of separate budget assignments.

Just based on the number of stations makes me think so... and they also have a francophone province, further fragmenting the sports audience.
Vancouver has one, CISL 650, and Calgary has CFAC 960, I know that much. Not so sure about other Canadian cities. Vancouver and Calgary each have a CFL and NHL team, and they probably follow the Blue Jays, as I believe the Blue Jays are considered a national team in Canada.

Otherwise, point taken.

The land CFRN sits on is worth millions of CAD$. While the station was probably doing better than the others shutting down, they probably saw this as an opportunity to shutdown CFRN as well so the land can be divested.
One would think that if they were doing decently enough they could have diplexed with another AM station? is that done in Canada like it is here in the US?

Obviously, applying for an FM was out of the question, as the CRTC is apparently not all that gung-ho about saving the actual AM stations. Here in the US at least the FM translator option helps keep some of the stations on the air in some form.

Also obviously, Bell Media figured none of it would be worth the bother though.

Vancouver has one, CISL 650, and Calgary has CFAC 960, I know that much. Not so sure about other Canadian cities.

Toronto has two - TSN 1050 (CHUM) and Sportsnet 590 (CJCL)
Montreal - TSN 690 (CKGM)
Ottawa - TSN 1200 (CFGO)
Calgary - Sportsnet 960 (CFAC)

It seems strange that Bell dropped its TSN station in Edmonton considering they run TSN Radio stations in the other major Canadian markets. Presumably they clear spots across that network where the usual goal is more markets and total audience.

Toronto has two - TSN 1050 (CHUM) and Sportsnet 590 (CJCL)
Montreal - TSN 690 (CKGM)
Ottawa - TSN 1200 (CFGO)
Calgary - Sportsnet 960 (CFAC)

It seems strange that Bell dropped its TSN station in Edmonton considering they run TSN Radio stations in the other major Canadian markets. Presumably they clear spots across that network where the usual goal is more markets and total audience.
At one point one could argue it's 2 1/2 sports stations in Toronto back when AM 640 had the hockey rights.
At least half their programming was very much in a sports talk direction.
I'm honestly not sure if they have any desire to go back down that road any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom