• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

B-Day 99.1 is back

I’m thinking it happened either today or sometime over the weekend. It’s now the fifth Jackson hip-hop oriented (albeit throwback) station.
Are you sure it's not skip from somewhere else? Most of the time I pick up Max 99.1 from the Delta. I can't pick up WFQY in Brandon since they moved the transmitter to Jackson. Plus the AM parent station has either been messed up or off the air for years. It is currently off the air. Which is illegal if the translator is on. 87,7 is still giving the legal I.D. for WFQY. Incidently the old BDay van is still sitting in front of their old location in Crossgates Brandon with faded paint and flat tires. Looks like it hasn't moved in years.

Just happened to catch B-Day 99.1. I could have sworn that station was toast. As far as the parent AM at 970, It was actually transmitting. But so weak you couldn't pick it up a mile from the transmitter. It could have only been a couple of watts. When fully operational the 350 watts gets out pretty good. I've picked it up all the way to Canton before. AM radio has really gone down hill since the "AM revitalizaton" program. It seems half the stations in jackson have deliberately destroyed their signals or simply let them go downhill.

Just happened to catch B-Day 99.1. I could have sworn that station was toast. As far as the parent AM at 970, It was actually transmitting. But so weak you couldn't pick it up a mile from the transmitter. It could have only been a couple of watts. When fully operational the 350 watts gets out pretty good. I've picked it up all the way to Canton before. AM radio has really gone down hill since the "AM revitalizaton" program. It seems half the stations in jackson have deliberately destroyed their signals or simply let them go downhill.

It's only a matter of time before there is no more AM radio, at least for the most part. I really believe AM is being essentially phased out. There's a part of me that waxes nostalgic and mourns this fact, but there's also the side of me that understands why most people have no desire to listen to an AM station.

It's only a matter of time before there is no more AM radio, at least for the most part. I really believe AM is being essentially phased out. There's a part of me that waxes nostalgic and mourns this fact, but there's also the side of me that understands why most people have no desire to listen to an AM station.
The thing that bugs me is when your out in the country the FM translator is so weak you can't pick it up. When you are in town the Translator is covered with splatter and spurious signals on these cheap radios and you can't hear it. So you have to try the AM staton which is often on low power with hideous distorted audio which they refuse to fix or they are too cheap to care. So now nobody can hear the station.

In my hometown both AMs are done. At my current location (Meridian) One station has been deleted, one has not filed a renewal (due June 1st), and another (outside Meridian) has been on a STA for 6 years. They sign it on the air every six months for one day on a picnic table, generator and a long wire to keep the license active.

The others are strictly are a placeholder for their FM translators. They sign it on the air every six months for one day on a picnic table, generator and a long wire to keep the license active.

At location #2 (Monroeville) all AM's have been turned in or deleted.

....and so it goes.

Especially as more AMs begin simulcasting on FM, and as more people listen on the phones or computers.

How's that any different from your station? :p

Touche', Tomservo.. ive heard from more than one person whos heard WLYB that the emphasis and care is not on the 3000 Watt ALABAMA licensed full power signal.. but more effort is now placed on the 10 watt MERIDIAN, MS translator

Touche', Tomservo.. ive heard from more than one person whos heard WLYB that the emphasis and care is not on the 3000 Watt ALABAMA licensed full power signal.. but more effort is now placed on the 10 watt MERIDIAN, MS translator

I will be glad to give you a tour of our studios in downtown Livingston. We just purchased a new storefront building with a full studio. We have local leaders, hosts, and community guests on the air all week, and I host the morning show from our studio in LIVINGSTON. I suggest before you troll a post you do your research.

I will be glad to give you a tour. Please call to make an appointment. I'll even let you troll my morning show.

Touche'

I will be glad to give you a tour of our studios in downtown Livingston. We just purchased a new storefront building with a full studio. We have local leaders, hosts, and community guests on the air all week, and I host the morning show from our studio in LIVINGSTON. I suggest before you troll a post you do your research.

I will be glad to give you a tour. Please call to make an appointment. I'll even let you troll my morning show.

Touche'

I remember when 670 would sign on in the morning and then shut down after only a few hours on the air.
Why was that?

670 is only authorized for daytime operation. They now have a FM translator that runs 24 hours a day.

I will be glad to give you a tour of our studios in downtown Livingston.

The studios for iHeart's WKNN in Pascagoula are apparently in Mobile now, so I don't see what that has to do with the price of rice in China. What's the point of having a translator in Meridian if it's not so you can be a Meridian station? If only the FCC would let you run local commercials on that translator, eh?

The studios for iHeart's WKNN in Pascagoula are apparently in Mobile now, so I don't see what that has to do with the price of rice in China. What's the point of having a translator in Meridian if it's not so you can be a Meridian station? If only the FCC would let you run local commercials on that translator, eh?

Tomservo, Damon/s WLYB is one of the proponents wanting to petition the FCC to run several hours a week of separate programming on translators fed by full powers

I don't know about WKNN. The difference is we generate local programming. With the exception of a few features, 98% of our programming is produced locally. We could of used the elimination of the main studio rule and shut down both studios in Livingston and Frisco City. The easy way out could of been to run a 24 hour sports or news feed, or a 24 hour syndicated music format.

The purpose of the translator is to serve listeners who commute back and forth to Meridian from Livingston and Demopolis. Many live there, and one of the biggest issues from listeners they couldn't hear uson their commute. We also have listeners and commuters from Demopolis. Should we stop serving them too?

Many live, work and commute from Meridian, Demopolis, and Livingston. I suggest once again you do your research, and I invite you to spend a day at the station so you can see what we do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tomservo, Damon/s WLYB is one of the proponents wanting to petition the FCC to run several hours a week of separate programming on translators fed by full powers

In our case, it would allow us to run several high school games that can't get coverage or airtime because no outlet is available.

I am in favor of anything will help small market broadcasters. I was one of the first supporters on translators for AM (for the record I don't an AM). I also support a power increase for LPFM's, and digital AM.

In our case, it would allow us to run several high school games that can't get coverage or airtime because no outlet is available.

How many high schools are there in Meridian, anyway? I find it hard to believe that with as many stations as they have there, that there is someone left out. I lived in rural Mississippi for years and even the non-comm religious stations had HS football on at night. If they have a booster group, they can pay to get the games aired if they wanted to.

And, why change the rules just for this one edge case? I think the reality is you want to sell ads in Merdian for Merdian businesses without having them air in Livingston where they would do no good. You can always buy one of the struggling or silent AMs and feed a translator that, or install HD on the FM and feed it with a subchannel like Alexander is doing with WSLY having an "Alex FM" on a subchannel and translator in Merdian.

I have a lot of respect for the small town broadcasters that still practice the magic of radio and are committed to serving smaller cities, including you. I just don't think it's wise to angle for a rule change that would basically put translators on equal footing with freestanding broadcasters.

How many high schools are there in Meridian, anyway? I find it hard to believe that with as many stations as they have there, that there is someone left out. I lived in rural Mississippi for years and even the non-comm religious stations had HS football on at night. If they have a booster group, they can pay to get the games aired if they wanted to.

And, why change the rules just for this one edge case? I think the reality is you want to sell ads in Merdian for Merdian businesses without having them air in Livingston where they would do no good. You can always buy one of the struggling or silent AMs and feed a translator that, or install HD on the FM and feed it with a subchannel like Alexander is doing with WSLY having an "Alex FM" on a subchannel and translator in Merdian.

I have a lot of respect for the small town broadcasters that still practice the magic of radio and are committed to serving smaller cities, including you. I just don't think it's wise to angle for a rule change that would basically put translators on equal footing with freestanding broadcasters.

With all due respect most of your statements are conjecture. First you said I'm not serving Livingston, now I am. Suppose I decided to add another translator in Livingston to broadcast sporting events on Friday Night if WLYB has another football game airing at the same time?

Buy a struggling AM? Not likely, and none are available. Another is on the brink of shutting down now (according to the FCC). I hope that is not the case. I hate to see a local station go dark.

HD radio. No... the HD license fees and tower rent would probably make that signal break even. We turned down the opportunity to also purchase or lease 99.7 in Meridian when it was available (and we could of sold commericals), but we didn't want to do that. It would of meant more places to air commercials :)

There are no local non-coms in Meridian.

There are several schools in Meridian, (Collinsville and Marion) that lack a radio outlet for sports. Why? I don't know. Probably because the revenue is not viable for the larger stations.

Until we we went on the air in Livingston. The local high school games were not on the radio? In fact, the local stations were broadcasting out of town games. I don't monitor them, so I don't know what they are doing now.

Many variables in the equation. Just because we support the proposal doesn't mean we might use it if passed, but other small broadcasters might.

Many variables in the equation. Just because we support the proposal doesn't mean we might use it if passed, but other small broadcasters might.

Just curiosity. The last time I was near Meridian (in Newton, in fact) was very early 60's and they pronounced it, sort of, "M'ridgin". Is that normal, or still sort of the way it is said?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom