• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Audacy Leasing HD Subchannels, KALV-HD3 and KOOL-HD2

I just noticed today that KOOL-HD2 is carrying KWSS-LP 93.9/99.5 and KALV-HD3 is carrying KZAO-FM 89.3(Z89.3) out of Ajo, AZ. I think this was recently added because the last time I used my HD radio two weeks ago KOOL only had HD1 turned on.

I just noticed today that KOOL-HD2 is carrying KWSS-LP 93.9/99.5 and KALV-HD3 is carrying KZAO-FM 89.3(Z89.3) out of Ajo, AZ. I think this was recently added because the last time I used my HD radio two weeks ago KOOL only had HD1 turned on.
The KWSS HD2 makes sense, but the KZAO one ... how did they think of that? Why not place KRDP or KVIT on an HD2/HD3 as well?

Glad to hear that KZAO is on HD on a South stick.

Could they be trying to move a translator to the LPFM site, then turn in the LPFM license and run commercials on the station.
There is nothing stopping KWSS on HD from opting out and running commercials on the HD stream while running PSAs, etc. on the LPFM transmitters.

There is nothing stopping KWSS on HD from opting out and running commercials on the HD stream while running PSAs, etc. on the LPFM transmitters.
That would be interesting....a non-commercial LPFM running underwriting ads on 93~Nine, while covering them with paid advertising on commercial BIG (KOOL) HD~Too. The Nurse and I suspect someone might challenge that move.

That would be interesting....a non-commercial LPFM running underwriting ads on 93~Nine, while covering them with paid advertising on commercial BIG (KOOL) HD~Too. The Nurse and I suspect someone might challenge that move.
There's nothing illegal about it. The more common practice is to opt out on streams and insert commercials on the stream where the FM is running underwriting. I always advise stations to keep good logs, because we have already seen situations where objections to renewals were filed where the complainant claims they were hearing commercials and then they finally admit that they were listening to the stream as opposed to the FM.

In a similar situation (but not an exact duplicate):
New York Islanders NHL game broadcasts originate from non-commercial WRHU 88.7 Hempstead NY (Long Island), Hofstra University's radio station..
Most of their games are simulcast on one of the ESPN Radio WEPN frequencies in New York (98.7 or 1050) depending upon availability.
The underwriting announcements and "filler" used on the WRHU feed are "covered up" by commercials on the WEPN feed.
Obviously takes some planning as to the timing of each break, but they've done this on and off for about 10-11 years so experience isn't an issue.

In a similar situation (but not an exact duplicate):
New York Islanders NHL game broadcasts originate from non-commercial WRHU 88.7 Hempstead NY (Long Island), Hofstra University's radio station..
Most of their games are simulcast on one of the ESPN Radio WEPN frequencies in New York (98.7 or 1050) depending upon availability.
The underwriting announcements and "filler" used on the WRHU feed are "covered up" by commercials on the WEPN feed.
Obviously takes some planning as to the timing of each break, but they've done this on and off for about 10-11 years so experience isn't an issue.
There's nothing illegal about it. The more common practice is to opt out on streams and insert commercials on the stream where the FM is running underwriting. I always advise stations to keep good logs, because we have already seen situations where objections to renewals were filed where the complainant claims they were hearing commercials and then they finally admit that they were listening to the stream as opposed to the FM.

and with todays technology, this stuff is eazy peazy to do... run seperate breaks on the same feed used on different signals.

This might be a case in which an LPFM would wish to convert the station to a translator. There are many translators that wish they could convert to LPFMs so they could originate programming.

TV translators and LPTVs can switch between the two

Back
Top Bottom