• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AUDACY LAYOFFS

RadioInsight states that Christine Richie, the evening personality on WNEW 102.7 has been laid off. She had been with the station for around 11 years.
It would not be surprising if evenings on the station will now be with someone piped in from somewhere else. I believe all the other A/C stations in the area run syndicated or automated programming during evenings.
Even Lite FM has a syndicated show (Delilah) during evenings.

Audacy Layoffs

Last edited:
It doesn't have to be hosted at all. Lots of stations are running without any hosts in the evening.

Usage of radio after 7PM is pretty low. They know exactly how low, compared to other stations.
But in a world where DJs are around the clock now on Apple/Spotify (even though it’s AI), does radio need to invest more to keep up with the personalities on other apps?

It doesn't have to be hosted at all. Lots of stations are running without any hosts in the evening.
Depends on the union contract. WCBS-FM is hosted 24/7. iHeart New York's SAG-AFTRA deal allows only one daypart to not be locally staffed. That's why WHTZ and WLTW are live in overnights since they carry Seacrest in middays and Delilah at night respectively.

Usage of radio after 7PM is pretty low. They know exactly how low, compared to other stations.
However, "pretty low" in the NYC market would be "phenomenal" in almost any other market.

However, "pretty low" in the NYC market would be "phenomenal" in almost any other market.
Just as the "pretty low" numbers of alternative rock or country music fans in NYC are compared to almost any other market. But those numbers aren't large enough to make commercial radio stations in those formats viable there. In this case, the number of New Yorkers listening at night doesn't justify the expense of paying a live person to provide between-songs chatter from 7 to midnight. Running AI or jockless wouldn't chase away enough listeners to make a difference in billing for those hours, nor would replacing syndicated programming or voice tracking from flyover country with live, local DJ talent attract enough new ears for the station to increase billing.

I would listen more if djs werent on.
On siriusxm as soon as they start their inane yappin its move on down the road to one of my multiple presets.

Just as the "pretty low" numbers of alternative rock or country music fans in NYC are compared to almost any other market. But those numbers aren't large enough to make commercial radio stations in those formats viable there. In this case, the number of New Yorkers listening at night doesn't justify the expense of paying a live person to provide between-songs chatter from 7 to midnight. Running AI or jockless wouldn't chase away enough listeners to make a difference in billing for those hours, nor would replacing syndicated programming or voice tracking from flyover country with live, local DJ talent attract enough new ears for the station to increase billing.
But most of the local A/C stations are not totally without personalities during evenings. They apparently feel the need to run syndicated fare, such as John Tesh, or Delilah.

Hopefully the reports that Christine Richie was laid off from WNEW 102.7 are incorrect.
She is still listed as the evening personality on the station's website. And checking out the station, I hear a female DJ. Nice that they have some commercial-free hours at night; not just mornings.

Depends on the union contract. WCBS-FM is hosted 24/7. iHeart New York's SAG-AFTRA deal allows only one daypart to not be locally staffed. That's why WHTZ and WLTW are live in overnights since they carry Seacrest in middays and Delilah at night respectively.
But union agreements that are so restrictive are only in effect in, literally, a handful of radio stations. Even in major metros there are many stations either with no such agreements or with far less restrictive ones.

Isn't that union contract voided by the bankruptcy? Otherwise, how could they fire the evening host if it's in the contract?
It is not voided...
Hopefully the reports that Christine Richie was laid off from WNEW 102.7 are incorrect.
She is still listed as the evening personality on the station's website. And checking out the station, I hear a female DJ. Nice that they have some commercial-free hours at night; not just mornings.
It's not incorrect. Why would I or other publications just make something like that up?

But union agreements that are so restrictive are only in effect in, literally, a handful of radio stations. Even in major metros there are many stations either with no such agreements or with far less restrictive ones.
But those stations are under agreements...

When I read about company-wide layoffs, I am often puzzled. It seems some jobs will quickly be replaced with someone else. Some examples from an Inside Radio article...

Christine Richie, evenings at WNEW-FM New York.... So will evenings just be voice-tracked from another market? Someone from, say Cleveland, will DJ live there and then voice-track evenings on WNEW-FM?

Rick Dayton, afternoon news anchor at KDKA Pittsburgh... Clearly KDKA will still have newscasts in the afternoon. So where's the savings here?

Mike Kadlick, WEEI-FM Boston beat reporter for New England Patriots... Won't a Boston all-sports station still have a Patriots beat reporter? Maybe the station will send a part time stringer for games and news events?

Chuck Taylor, WRCH Hartford AC station afternoon DJ.... Surely WRCH, always rated #1 in Hartford, will still have an afternoon DJ. So where's the savings here?

KCBS San Francisco All-News, three reporters are dismissed... So how do you have an all-news station with three fewer reporters?

Maybe some of these moves are to oust an older, better-paid person and replace him/her with a newer, lower-paid person? Because I can't see where the savings are with some of these dismissals.

Rick Dayton, afternoon news anchor at KDKA Pittsburgh... Clearly KDKA will still have newscasts in the afternoon. So where's the savings here?

According to RadioInsight:

Rick Dayton has departed afternoons at News/Talk 1020/100.1 KDKA Pittsburgh. The station is extending the hours of its other shows as Larry Richert’s morning show will now run from 5:30 to 10:00am, Marty Griffin moves from 9am-12pm to 10am-2pm and Colin Dunlap is now listed from 2-6pm.

Chuck Taylor, WRCH Hartford AC station afternoon DJ.... Surely WRCH, always rated #1 in Hartford, will still have an afternoon DJ. So where's the savings here?
One salary is the savings. No one is going to abandon WRCH because one of its bland DJs is gone. The station's entire purpose is to present inoffensive music with as little gab as possible, especially during the work day.

When I read about company-wide layoffs, I am often puzzled. It seems some jobs will quickly be replaced with someone else. Some examples from an Inside Radio article...
When you read an article that simply lifts names from another publication without sourcing that's what you get...

The cost savings come from hiring people at lower salaries or having someone take on additional duties.

Back
Top Bottom