• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

ATSC 1.0 - Up to 24 SD, or 6 HD

With cord cutting, I was wondering what current video encoders (for ATSC 1.0) could permit in a channel originally developed for 1 1080i HDTV program.

Here in KC, the PBS (KCPT) station has 2 1080i programs + 2 480i programs and KPXE has 8 (1 720p & 7 480i):

Anyone have an ATSC 1.0 OTA DTV signal with more than 2 HDTV programs or more the 7 SDTV programs?

Kirk Bayne

With cord cutting, I was wondering what current video encoders (for ATSC 1.0) could permit in a channel originally developed for 1 1080i HDTV program.

Here in KC, the PBS (KCPT) station has 2 1080i programs + 2 480i programs and KPXE has 8 (1 720p & 7 480i):

Anyone have an ATSC 1.0 OTA DTV signal with more than 2 HDTV programs or more the 7 SDTV programs?

Kirk Bayne
I've set up ATSC 1.0 stations with two HD and one SD channel in a single stream. Problem is, one needs to have both HD channels run 720P at 8Mbs. Trying to run two 1080i HD streams plus one or more SD channel means the potential for pretty severe motion artifacts on HD channels because the bitrate is too slow.

Los Angeles market:

Weigel-owned channel-sharing partners KHTV-CD channel 6 and KAZA-TV channel 54 broadcast a total of three subchannels, all in 720p HD; with 6-1 carrying MeTV+ and 54-1 and 54-2 carrying MeTV and Story Television, respectively. I’m guessing the bandwidth is evenly distributed, because I don’t see too many digital artifacts.

As for large numbers of SD subchannels the main channel of KVMD channel 31 is in 720p HD with 17 subchannels in 480i SD. Many of its subchannels have noticeable artifacts. Another example of this would be channel-sharing combo KXLA channel 44 and KJLA channel 57, with a total of 16 SD subchannels and their respective 44-1 and 57-1 main channels in 720p HD. These three stations suffer the most from digital artifacts due to carrying so many subchannels on their respective multiplexers.

I'm still using VHS (usually the SLP speed), I find that a consistently "soft" image is more pleasant than an image that breaks up into blocks from time to time (the softness of SLP recording mostly hides the breakup into blocks).

Since 480i is only a format, I wish that the MPEG2 (ATSC 1.0) digital video encoders were/could be set to output a "soft" picture all time, thus mostly avoiding the image breaking up into blocks.

Kirk Bayne

Back
Top Bottom