• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Atlanta Radio Ratings: February 2023

Covering the survey period from Thu. 2/2/2023 thru Wed. 3/1/2023, age 6+ overall:

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis will become available on Tue. 3/21/2023 via AllAccess.com.

That's the best numbers I have even seen one of these classic alt stations do. 91x in San Diego never got a bump going to classic alt.

99X brand identity was very strong back in the day. As an Australian I knew of KROQ and 99X, but knew nothing of 91X... Locals never really forgot it. The question is, will it last?

I would listen to it more if it came in clearer. It struggles a bit to the South and West from Newnan to Douglasville. My vote is to swap frequencies with 99.7. The market is littered with CHR and the like.

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis for ages 25-54, 18-34 + 18-49:
(scroll down to see Atlanta market)

25-54: 1. WAMJ 2. WSRV 3. WVEE 4. WSB-FM 5. WHTA 6. WNNX (up from #11)
18-34: 1. WSB-FM 2. WVEE 3. WSRV 4T. WAMJ (up from #8) 4T. WWWQ 6. WFSH (down from #2) 10. WUBL (down from #4T)
18-49: 1. WSB-FM 2. WSRV 3. WAMJ 4. WVEE 5. WHTA 6T. WNNX (up from #10) 6T. WWSZ-AM (Streetz 94.5)

Last edited:
It's nice to see 99X on 100.5 perform so well in what I believe is only its second full survey since the rotten Rock 100.5 was mercifully ditched.

Cannot help but wonder why Cumulus didn't scrap the very unpopular Rock 100.5 even sooner.

So long as 99X keeps a nice, wide playlist rooted in classic alternative, I'll be rooting for it's success. I do hope, though, that they introduce some select songs from the 2000s and 2010s eventually. I also must say it is a bit disappointing that Metallica can no longer be heard on the analog FM dial locally.

Streetz 94.5 tied for 6th in A18-49?!?! That is a stunner.

Can someone explain to me why 99x is doing well with classic alt but neither 91x in San Diego or the classic alt station in Indianapolis have gained traction?

Can someone explain to me why 99x is doing well with classic alt but neither 91x in San Diego or the classic alt station in Indianapolis have gained traction?
99x is a new station. People are sampling it because a lot of the songs haven’t been played in Atlanta in many years. Let’s see what the ratings are like come July.
The Indy station pretty much just dropped all of its currents and recurrents. It’s not breaking any new ground.
The SD station is still mired in a very crowded modern rock market between them, Alt, and KIOZ.
It helps that 99x is pretty much the only station playing modern rock in Atlanta (outside of the weak TOSOTR signal).

They're sampling and it also has a very strong connection to it's demo. They're not 91X simply changing their playlist, they're literally going as far as bringing the talent who played the songs originally back to the best of their ability. Every little detail, the voice guy Brian Christopher and even the late Keith Eubanks, the jocks from before, the music, even the website looks like a 90s or 2000s website. Doesn't even use the usual Cumulus design.

Think of how Classic Hits stations, Oldies stations got their start in the 80s and 90s. A lot of them used talent, and imaging elements that invoked memories of the original stations that played the songs when they were new. At the time, that target demographic for a 50s-60s Oldies station was 35-54.

Today, your average teenager and young adult in the 90s is now in their 40s and 50s. By bringing 99X, it's imaging, and it's original air talent back, they are literally bringing part of their youth back, the same way a lot of these Oldies stations did. Some very successful Oldies stations did just this. Usually with some airstaff who were on the AM Top-40 stations their audience grew up with. They're not just pumping in a playlist. They're bringing everything. I think that will bring them success if it continues to be this way. People like nostalgia. It just needs to be done right.

For now, let's just see how long it stays this way as people sample it.

Last edited:
Wow brian Christopher he use to work in my hometown in Louisville KY on the now defunct LRS 102 and he use to be voiceguy for klos in Los Angeles till they got sold.

99X is doing better than Q99.7. Maybe they will swap frequencies again? CHR appears to be having a rough time right now.
Q pulls in quite a bit of $ for Cumulus (I believe it’s been mentioned on here before - they’re one of, if not, the highest billers in the company). Absolutely no way they’re relegating it back to a much smaller signal.

Just one man's opinion - but I think the playlist construction of 103.3 in Indianapolis stinks.

I agree with chrocket87 that the issue with 91X in San Diego is audience fragmentation.

There are other classic alt stations out there, too, such as 103.1 The Wave in Salt Lake City. As their name suggests, that station has a strong new wave lean.

If Atlanta had a properly programmed Rock station (Rock 100.5 was certainly not a properly programmed Rock station), I suspect the rebirth of 99X would have substantially weaker numbers. Indianapolis has a decent (not great) sounding Rock station on 93.9, a 6kW signal that often pulls similar or better numbers than the more powerful 103.3.

If Atlanta had a properly programmed Rock station (Rock 100.5 was certainly not a properly programmed Rock station), I suspect the rebirth of 99X would have substantially weaker numbers. Indianapolis has a decent (not great) sounding Rock station on 93.9, a 6kW signal that often pulls similar or better numbers than the more powerful 103.3.
I wonder if Cumulus would put The Bone back on 98.9.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom