• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Arizona Coyotes moving to Salt Lake CIty

Vegas or the new Utah Coyotes or even both for KASW perhaps?

I suspect Arizona will end up in VGK territory at least. Utah depends on who gets the rights. Of the major Utah players, Sinclair and Bonneville have no connection to a Phoenix TV station, but Scripps has KUPX (which like KASW was converted into a standalone indie).

I suspect Arizona will end up in VGK territory at least. Utah depends on who gets the rights. Of the major Utah players, Sinclair and Bonneville have no connection to a Phoenix TV station, but Scripps has KUPX (which like KASW was converted into a standalone indie).
KUTV has KJZZ both part of Sinclair, Gray Television is launching a new station in SLC after trading some smaller ones to Marquee Broadcasting.

The Coyotes were the Winnipeg Jets. Why not swap back with Winnipeg?
There has been chatter that the Winnipeg Jets 1972-96 history should be sent back to that city and its current team.
The Atlanta Thrashers (now the Jets) could become the Utah team.
The Thrashers 1999-2011 history, now with Winnipeg Jets 2.0, might likely be sent back to Atlanta for a rebooted version of that team.
Hartford and Quebec City still need reparations for the Whalers & Nordiques...😑
Not going to happen in Hartford. Very unlikely in Quebec.

The franchise swap discussion can get silly, sort of like discussing radio station histories. For example: Does WFAN in NYC trace its history to WEAF, or to WHN due to WFAN moving from 1050 to 660 in 1988?🤪

"Let's build up a fan base for a different market team, so when (or if ever) that time comes when an expansion franchise becomes available, there won't be a fan base for that."

"Let's build up a fan base for a different market team, so when (or if ever) that time comes when an expansion franchise becomes available, there won't be a fan base for that."

It's basically free real estate. The chances of the Utah (Insert Team Name Here) on KASW took a big bounce up because Scripps Sports will apparently carry the games.

It's basically free real estate. The chances of the Utah (Insert Team Name Here) on KASW took a big bounce up because Scripps Sports will apparently carry the games.

I'll be surprised if their games air in Phoenix. I can see Vegas Golden Knights games airing here before whatever the SLC hockey team will be called.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman just confirmed at a news conference that Scripps will be airing the Utah NHL team games in Arizona.
So pretty much the NHL taking a page from the NFL with the Chargers & Raiders & having them move close by, but still airing games in their original markets. Not hearing about whether the Ducks or Kings will claim any part of AZ as well, although if they did, it'd probably be limited to the far western portions of AZ close to the CA border (ie Yuma, Quartzsite).

Back
Top Bottom