• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Area Codes

Interesting topic... but I skimmed through pretty fast. Most of the regulator references were to FCC mandated changes. The Feds and the States have not marched in lock-step in recent decades on how LATAs (sounds like something from Starbucks :cool:) are implemented along with other designations that affect how we dial... and how we are charged.

Example: When an Area Code in nearing its limits in quantity of assigned numbers, in some areas that split into two distinct area codes with NO overlay. (Arkansas did that as I remember.) Here in the Atlanta area I think are up to about FIVE Area Codes and the person living across the street from you can have any one of those five. (I guess we can call that 'homogenized area codes'.)

When I lived in Indianapolis, the toll zones even within one Area Code were always frustrating. The LOCAL RATE AREA was about the size of the old city limits. If you lived at the south edge of Indy (but still in the county, and after government consolidated, still in the city) it could be a toll call to that area just north of the old city limits, but still in the UNIGOV city limits. Bah, Humbug.

But now comes one of the attributes of the Atlanta area that is worth noting. A number of years back, the state Public Service Commission got the bright idea it would be good for commerce (good for business!) to have the largest possible area within the Atlanta LOCAL CALLS RATE zone. I've never seen anything like it. I think I read in the paper once it was close to being a national one-of-a-kind situation.

I will be moving sometime soon and I will be looking for some way to keep my current land-line number active for at least two or three years. Move it to the chapest service I can find, and just set it up to forward all calls to my new number. (At my age, there are people including relatives that you haven't talked to for several years who want to call about Goldlen Wedding Anniversaries, funerals and other events. So I want to keep my implanted roots alive for awhile. Any suggestions on simplicity and economy?

Last edited:
How about free? With perhaps some limitations. If you are able to subscribe (free) to Google Voice you can establish one phone number which can be set up to forward to other numbers automatically. It will also translate (with limited success) voice mail and will forward text messages to digital phones. Outgoing calls can be made from your normal phones (and the recipient will see your native number) or from the Google phone (and the recipient will see the Google number). Handy for giving to questionable businesses or relatives instead of your real number. Also, free long distance to US and Canada and very low rates to other countries.

Landtuna,
your answer was totally 180 degrees from Goat's question...

He wants a way to fwd his CURRENT number to a new service...thats simple...get MajicJack and port the current number there.....No need for second service...

If MJ does not allow porting of your number (it happens), Vonage is the next step up IMPO...

Landtuna,
your answer was totally 180 degrees from Goat's question...

He wants a way to fwd his CURRENT number to a new service...thats simple...get MajicJack and port the current number there.....No need for second service...

If MJ does not allow porting of your number (it happens), Vonage is the next step up IMPO...

Yes, I am aware of that. I was just trying to give him another option. I do believe you can port an existing number to Google (at least you used to be able to do that).

I will be moving sometime soon and I will be looking for some way to keep my current land-line number active for at least two or three years. Move it to the chapest service I can find, and just set it up to forward all calls to my new number. (At my age, there are people including relatives that you haven't talked to for several years who want to call about Goldlen Wedding Anniversaries, funerals and other events. So I want to keep my implanted roots alive for awhile. Any suggestions on simplicity and economy?

Landline numbers can, as I said somewhere in this thread, be ported to wireless. And wireless carriers don't care (for obvious reasons) where the phone physically is. You can theoretically keep a specific number forever once it has been ported to a wireless phone.

In "nosing" around the Internet a bit, it seems that Google Voice has yet to find a stable, permanent place in life. What if ME and my NEED outlive Google Voice? :cool: But the price is right!

Assigning the current land-line number to a cell phone would work but it carries a monthly fee. I have to think long and hard about how important keeping the number alive is to me. The stable, known names in the cell phone world don't give those things away, and some companies that will sell you service TODAY for $10 per month or less may possibly have a shorter life expectancy than I do. (Picture the emoticon with the smile and sunglasses being repeated here.)

Hey folks, it's just a simple discussion. Don't do bodily harm to each other because you think the other guy came up with a less than sterling answer. Land Tuna's response caused me to do what I had put off doing: Pulling up all the info on Google Voice I could find on line and doing my own research. I'm still scratching my head over what is going to work (and what is going to fail) for this Google venture. So it's cost free for now.... What will they migrate to in the next year or two?

The frugal side of me says: For what it will cost to fund this project using even the most economical cell phone as a reflector to bounce incoming calls to my "coming soon" new abode... I could just go through files including my Christmas Card list and just send everyone an announcement of the new phone number and be done with it! I've changed addresses a little over 25 times through the years and I have never heard even a rumor that Publishers Clearing House was unable to locate me when needed.

So: If Google Voice goes "belly up" and they pull the plug nine months from now, I can still do the snail-mail routine to notify my dear friends from years gone by. [I wonder how many of them have relocated and didn't go to the trouble to worry about how I would reach them at some future date? ]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom