• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Are people's viewing habits like their listening habits?

I was wondering this because I was thinking about a radio stations playlist and what songs test well. While there's current based songs (which there are fewer these days and more recurrents which essentially stay currents) and a lot of gold's and gold based stations (which play Billie Jean and Don't stop believing). Do a lot of people watch a lot of old familiar shows they've seen (I do this...seen Seinfeld a bunch of times).and a narrow selection of new shows the same way radio programs music? Hope this question makes sense.

I was wondering this because I was thinking about a radio stations playlist and what songs test well. While there's current based songs (which there are fewer these days and more recurrents which essentially stay currents) and a lot of gold's and gold based stations (which play Billie Jean and Don't stop believing). Do a lot of people watch a lot of old familiar shows they've seen (I do this...seen Seinfeld a bunch of times).and a narrow selection of new shows the same way radio programs music? Hope this question makes sense.
The biggest difference is that we like to hear songs we like over and over and over during many days, months, year and decades.

Re-watching old TV shows is a bit different. We all missed lots of episodes of shows prior to the time when we could record them or when they were available the next day on-demand. And many shows we watched decades ago are mostly forgotten today.

But we don't want the same episode of an old show over and over.

So we might watch an old Seinfeld or an old Gunsmoke over again or find that we have not seen a particular episode. But we won't be watching it a third or fourth time soon after.

The biggest difference is that we like to hear songs we like over and over and over during many days, months, year and decades.

So we might watch an old Seinfeld or an old Gunsmoke over again or find that we have not seen a particular episode. But we won't be watching it a third or fourth time soon after.
I don't know. Certain movies get repeated and nauseam and Seinfeld and friends reruns take up large parts of schedules on linear cable. I know I've seen the soup nazi at least a dozen times!

I don't know. Certain movies get repeated and nauseam and Seinfeld and friends reruns take up large parts of schedules on linear cable. I know I've seen the soup nazi at least a dozen times!
There may be a few "Rocky Horror Picture"-like shows or episodes that bear multiple almost cult-like viewing, but most people may watch a long-forgotten show one time again, but not more than once.

For example, I found that I had missed many episodes of N.Y.P.D. Blue and E.R. and discovered I have both free on Hulu, so I watched alllllllllll of them while working on my website. Lotta' fun, but just once.

I never watched Seinfeld when it was new as in my market it did not run when the show started and when I got to LA I found it did not relate at all to my culture, sense of humor or lifestyle. So, there are many "hit" shows that won't reach new people... and many of the old fans have no desire to see it again... even once.

And so much of network TV in recent decades has been non-scripted shows. Who want's to see old episodes of reality shows or re-runs of awards shows or, even, replays of decades old sporting events?

In fact, out of curiosity I'd love to see what kind of ratings a re-run of TV's biggest audience-getter, the Super Bowl (tm), would get?

There may be a few "Rocky Horror Picture"-like shows or episodes that bear multiple almost cult-like viewing, but most people may watch a long-forgotten show one time again, but not more than once.

For example, I found that I had missed many episodes of N.Y.P.D. Blue and E.R. and discovered I have both free on Hulu, so I watched alllllllllll of them while working on my website. Lotta' fun, but just once.

I never watched Seinfeld when it was new as in my market it did not run when the show started and when I got to LA I found it did not relate at all to my culture, sense of humor or lifestyle. So, there are many "hit" shows that won't reach new people... and many of the old fans have no desire to see it again... even once.

And so much of network TV in recent decades has been non-scripted shows. Who want's to see old episodes of reality shows or re-runs of awards shows or, even, replays of decades old sporting events?

In fact, out of curiosity I'd love to see what kind of ratings a re-run of TV's biggest audience-getter, the Super Bowl (tm), would get?
I wonder about old movies too. I've probably seen the cable guy about a dozen times too and some others.

I find I like watching TV shows that were popular in the 50's - when I was growing up. Same for old movies when I can see favorite actors in their early years (William Powell in 'The Thin Man' series for example) or childhood favorites (Disney's 'Zorro').

There is no such convenient choice for radio although some come close (The Goldmine in Phoenix). When radio music began to turn to crap in the mid-80's I began building my private library of the tunes I wanted to listen to: no babbling idiots, no commercials, no songs I didn't like etc.). I listen to radio very rarely now - always in the car on short trips only. On long trips I will either DX (for the fun of it) or bring along my private library.

There's also the Christmas movies that come up every year. I'll watch A Christmas Story and Christmas Vacation multiple times but I'm usually done with that wants to season is over. Once during the season is enough though for other Christmas movies like Home Alone and It's a Wonderful Life.

But I'll usually watch any Star Wars Star Trek or Back to the Future movie or classic sci-fi if they happen to pop up on TV, especially when it's a Svengoolie spoof on MeTV.:)

It's an interesting topic. As we've discussed, the popularity of Running Up That Hill was completely driven by its play in Stranger Things, which is a current TV show on Netflix. So we're talking about one TV show that isn't even on a traditional TV service that has turned a 35 year old song into a current hit. That tells me that a lot of people watch Stranger Things. Current TV shows have a lot of impact in daily conversation, and even in morning radio. So while I'm sure a lot of people watch old shows, and there are quite a few channels that provide that kind of thing, they don't always have the same impact as the current shows.

On long trips I will either DX.
Awesome, and I do as well! If I have the time, I'll stop in a town, scan both the AM/FM bands, and possibly pop in to a local store and give them my business. It's a win/win scenario all the way around. But when I'm actually on the highway (safety being my number one priority), I'll usually just settle in on a decent sounding station, or leave it off. (I have been known to press that fast scan button from time to time, though). If nothing else though, I have a great collection of CD's, and Bluetooth.

Seinfeld was an acquired taste even then. I do catch an episode now and then, and have some favorites but it'll never make sense to a new audience. The cast wouldn't have been chasing each other all over the parking garage because they'd all have phones.

I know one guy who likes and collects old football games, especially with watching a game and not having to hear the words "true freshman" and other cliches used today.

But we don't want the same episode of an old show over and over.

That's true for me now, but there was a time when I did watch the same episode over and over. I can't imagine doing that now because I don't have the time to watch what I haven't seen. Now I record everything I watch, and I only watch specific programs that I want to.

Also, I used to listen to the radio like some people watch TV. I would go from one station to another to see what was on. I only do that on the way to the beach and on the way home if there's nothing specific I want to listen to. I've quit doing that.

The DVR is your friend. I probably catch most tv programming by this form. Not only can you watch at your convenience but you can skip the commercials! I know this is nothing new, but I have finally realized how to watch tv on MY terms. I started getting it about 5-6 years ago. It took me way too long to figure this out, but you do need a decent cable system/box. I’m sure other good options exist but for me this is the best approach.

Last edited:
I have my favorites that I watch/DVR them over and over again. It's been just over a year since COX Cable added ME-TV and I've been DVRing every episode of ADAM 12. They're probably on at least the 5th? rotation of that show since then.

COX Cable also recently moved GAC Family into the cable package that we subscribe to and I DVR'd every episode of Fuller House. I'm glad GAC bought the reruns of this show. I'm not a Netflix subscriber, so I never thought I'd be able to see this series. Sure they recycled some of the jokes from the original Full House *Spoiler Alert* 36 year old Stephanie backed Uncle Joey's car though the kitchen just like she did when she was 8, but the show is hilarious.

I have my favorite music. Today's hip-hop music is mainly garbage to this 40 (gasp!) year old, so I'm not listening to my local hip-hop station anymore. When I have free-time (I work 40 hours/week) I'm streaming Throwback Hip-hop stations on my phone i.e. Audacy's 94.7 The Block NYC and their sister station 104.3 Jams Chicago. Do I listen to an actual radio? Yes. Sometimes I will listen to the local Classic Hits station if I'm in the mood, however sometimes if I'm already streaming another station I'll switch to the stream of the local Classic Hits station. Oh and I also have been streaming the new RUMBA 106.1 outta Philly a lot too. (Blame that weird music choice for a Caucasian guy on the fact that I went to high school where there were a lot of Hispanics and I still have many Hispanic friends and they got me into the music. LOL. I don't speak or understand the language.)
Note: I got busted by my Hispanic boss last week for listening to RUMBA 106.1 on my phone. First off technically we're not supposed to be listening to music at work, but it gets boring sitting at the cash reegister in the Garden Center. Secondly she says by me listening to Spanish music I'll confuse customers into thinking I speak/understand the language.

The NFL network actually does this quite a bit, but I've never looked at the ratings for it. I'm sure when they replay it the day after the game, they get a good audience from the winning team and others that may have missed or wanted to see part of it again if was a really good game. After that they probably get diminishing returns.

NFL network runs interesting games from the past decade or so. Most of us don't remember who even won these games so it is interesting television. A pretty genious move by the NFL network.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom