• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Apollo along with many of Private Equity Firms looking to buy Paramount owner National Amusments

Updating, the view has sobered quite a bit, as they see how much this would cost:

Paramount Global's stock slumped 8% on Thursday after CNBC's David Faber reported the company would need to raise as much as $3 billion in new equity if it were to merge with David Ellison's Skydance Media.

“A merger could improve retained economics on key franchises at Paramount,” he wrote. “However, shareholders might have indigestion at a Skydance deal that essentially leaves Paramount public, versus taking a cash premium from Apollo.”

“At some point, Skydance might want a breakup,” he added. “Skydance’s heart seems to be mainly in content creation at the studio, not in running TV networks.”

Wake me up when Chuck-E-Cheese offers to buy paramount, and someone let me know if stock prices rise again. How many more times are these companies going to keep crying wolf?

Wake me up when Chuck-E-Cheese offers to buy paramount, and someone let me know if stock prices rise again. How many more times are these companies going to keep crying wolf?

The company isn't the one doing the reporting.

Paramount and Skydance declined to comment, while Redstone didn’t respond to a request for comment.

So this is all a matter of what you want to believe. Speculators will jump on a rumor. If you don't care, there's an unwatch button at the top right of this thread.

One problem: Sony is still Japanese owned so they can’t own TV or radio stations nor a OTA network, but the studios and IPs they can own.

I doubt they have an interest in either of those things. Sony is a content company. They want Paramount's archive. I think it's pretty intact, as is the TV archive from CBS and Viacom.

From a cultural perspective, this means more of American culture and IP owned by foreign companies. Sony owns what was originally RCA and Columbia Records. So they own a lot of American music.

I doubt they have an interest in either of those things. Sony is a content company. They want Paramount's archive. I think it's pretty intact, as is the TV archive from CBS and Viacom.

From a cultural perspective, this means more of American culture and IP owned by foreign companies. Sony owns what was originally RCA and Columbia Records. So they own a lot of American music.
CBS once owned Columbia Records before Sony took over in 1989 followed by Columbia Pictures
One problem: Sony is still Japanese owned so they can’t own TV or radio stations nor a OTA network, but the studios and IPs they can own.
Apollo might get the CBS News and Stations but it will conflict with Apollo's WPXI and WFXT along with the LMA operations of WFOX.

CBS once owned Columbia Records before Sony took over in 1989

The Redstones regret that sale, made before they owned CBS. Larry Tisch made the sale when he was running CBS.

I call this period in the US record business the Great Schism of 1988, when Columbia was sold to Sony, and RCA was sold to Germany's BMG. About fifteen years later, BMG would sell RCA to Sony.

According to CNBC, Paramount CEO Bob Bakish will be fired on Monday. Shari Redstone flexing on her own executives again.

I have never been a fan of Bakish. He's been on the wrong side of many issues. His term as head of Viacom saw the stock value drop in half. When it combined with CBS, it dropped even further. He isn't a visionary thinker at all. They had much better people at the company, but all have left during his tenure. So it's now an empty shell.

There's only one winner here, and it's Chris Winfrey of Charter. Removing Bob from Paramount makes them ill-prepared to face a long, brutal retransmission fight with Charter, who would not hesitate to remove MTV, VH1 and their other zombie cable channels with no purpose and no future (look at what Charter did to Freeform and FXX).

Here we go a CEO change at Paramount.

LOS ANGELES, April 29 (Reuters) - Paramount Global (PARA.O), opens new tab replaced CEO Bob Bakish with a trio of executives, the company announced on Monday in the middle of talks with David Ellison's Skydance Media about a possible merger.
The owner of the Paramount+ streaming service, the Paramount Pictures movie studio and cable networks including MTV, BET and Showtime announced the change just ahead of reporting better-than-expected earnings for the quarter ended in March.

Paramount's shares were up nearly 1% at $12.36 in after-hours trading.
A new Office of the CEO will be led by CBS President and CEO George Cheeks, Paramount Pictures studio chief Brian Robbins, and Chris McCarthy, head of Showtime, MTV and other networks, the company said.
Paramount is in exclusive talks with Skydance and is working to build its streaming business as it faces tough competition from Netflix (NFLX.O), opens new tab and Walt Disney (DIS.N), opens new tab as viewership of cable TV declines.

"We're finalizing a long-term strategic plan to best position this storied company to reach new and greater heights in a rapidly changing world," McCarthy said on the company's quarterly earnings call.

Shari Redstone: willing to sabotage her vain dreams of selling Paramount Global by turning it into a total clown show.

Back
Top Bottom