• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Anyone remember "newscasts from the newsroom?"

Was in range of the SEA market yesterday, and the KOMO 4pm 'cast appears to back on the main studio set after years in a newsroom setting. (Of course, this could be temporary, don't know). But my thought is the newsroom setting was nice for Steve Poole with his "weather deck", and now that he is on medical hiatus, perhaps that is the reason.

You must have tuned in late in the newscast- when Molly Shen/Mary Nam is doing double-duties, they transition to the studio for the last portion, around quarter 'til 5 to join Chesky or Johnson for the 5 pm newscast later on.

You must have tuned in late in the newscast- when Molly Shen/Mary Nam is doing double-duties, they transition to the studio for the last portion, around quarter 'til 5 to join Chesky or Johnson for the 5 pm newscast later on.

Yes, I tuned into this newscast late. Thanks for that info.

KIRO had an uphill battle to overcome the "out of the box" fiasco, including losing their CBS affiliation for a couple of years, eventually gaining it back in the mid-90's. It was a sheer fight to get back in the fight, mostly with Steve Raible and they brought back Susan Hutchison at some point. They also hired Tony Ventrella for Sports. KIRO in the late 90's was the underdog, but they certainly gave it a good try. KIRO was a contender into the early 2000's, but never really was a winner. KOMO and KING dominated the local news ratings throughout the first decade of the 2000's.

Bonneville actually had agreed to give up the CBS affiliate. This was on the heels of KIRO refusing to air several prime programs due to Bonneville finding the subject matter; 'against Mormon Church values'. As I recall, it started with the show Picket Fences". KIRO technically violated their contract with CBS and both agreed to go their separate ways. KSTW picked up CBS and went full-on local affiliate news, but it seems few viewers made the transition. In fact David Letterman pitched a fit with CBS brass because over two sweeps his show in Seattle went from #1 in the late night slot, to less than .1 share.

'News Out Of The Box' was a precursor to what we now call: Walk and Talk's. The problem was at the time, the news director and management at KIRO didn't allow for much rehearsal and talent coaching. That, and they really didn't have the moves nailed down enough to rehearse. 'Out Of The Box' was too conceptual alone for seasoned anchors who'd been sitting behind an anchor desk for their entire anchor careers to pick up. KIRO management needed to keep their tried and tested familiarity of the exiting anchors, while literally turning their world upside down in two weeks. One could argue too, that KIRO should have soft-launched NOOTB, limiting it to just one block in one newscast, with no advanced promotion about it. That way, as happened, they could work out the bugs and limit the amount of collective egg on their faces because of missing expectations.

The ability to do Walk and Talk are now expected with anchors coming up through the ranks from street reporters to the studio. I've seen many seasoned long-desk-seated anchors who just can't seem to make the transition to moving around the studio.

Bonneville actually had agreed to give up the CBS affiliate. This was on the heels of KIRO refusing to air several prime programs due to Bonneville finding the subject matter; 'against Mormon Church values'. As I recall, it started with the show Picket Fences". KIRO technically violated their contract with CBS and both agreed to go their separate ways. KSTW picked up CBS and went full-on local affiliate news, but it seems few viewers made the transition. In fact David Letterman pitched a fit with CBS brass because over two sweeps his show in Seattle went from #1 in the late night slot, to less than .1 share.

IIRC, Gaylord Broadcasting. who owned KSTW at the time and had other CBS affiliates (e.g. in Dallas/Ft Worth where I lived), put pressure on CBS to move their affiliation to KSTW. It was actually a bit funny because they owned Channel 11 in Seattle and DFW -- and branded both as 11 News. The late newscast in DFW at 10pm was branded "11 on 11" and at 11pm in Seattle "11 at 11". In addition, 2 of KSTW's main news team members were previously in the DFW market.

IIRC, Gaylord Broadcasting. who owned KSTW at the time and had other CBS affiliates (e.g. in Dallas/Ft Worth where I lived), put pressure on CBS to move their affiliation to KSTW. It was actually a bit funny because they owned Channel 11 in Seattle and DFW -- and branded both as 11 News. The late newscast in DFW at 10pm was branded "11 on 11" and at 11pm in Seattle "11 at 11". In addition, 2 of KSTW's main news team members were previously in the DFW market.

KSTW as the Seattle CBS affiliate in the mid-90's...where are they now? The main anchor Monica Gayle has been the primary anchor at Fox Detroit for the past 20 years. Weatherman Neal Barton moved to become the main anchor at KETK Tyler, TX. (He also married former Seattle radio traffic reporter Renee Rhoads). Sports guy Rod Simons, who spent a couple of decades at KSTP in the Twin Cities, passed away from an apparent heart attack last year.

'News Out Of The Box' was a precursor to what we now call: Walk and Talk's. The problem was at the time, the news director and management at KIRO didn't allow for much rehearsal and talent coaching. That, and they really didn't have the moves nailed down enough to rehearse. 'Out Of The Box' was too conceptual alone for seasoned anchors who'd been sitting behind an anchor desk for their entire anchor careers to pick up. KIRO management needed to keep their tried and tested familiarity of the exiting anchors, while literally turning their world upside down in two weeks. One could argue too, that KIRO should have soft-launched NOOTB, limiting it to just one block in one newscast, with no advanced promotion about it. That way, as happened, they could work out the bugs and limit the amount of collective egg on their faces because of missing expectations.

The ability to do Walk and Talk are now expected with anchors coming up through the ranks from street reporters to the studio. I've seen many seasoned long-desk-seated anchors who just can't seem to make the transition to moving around the studio.

Yes, this is correct. I have posted about this before, but indeed in some ways KIRO was ahead of its time with "Walk and Talk". But as you point out, it was clumsily put together and the audeince had no patience for it. But, yeah, what we see today some two decades later is a version of that original Out Of The Box format at KIRO that failed at the time.

On the original subject, for a short time KCPQ was doing their newscasts from a temporary set in their newsroom while their news studio was undergoing a renovation.

On the original subject, for a short time KCPQ was doing their newscasts from a temporary set in their newsroom while their news studio was undergoing a renovation.

That's nothing new. Need to have somewhere to go while the studios are torn up.

Years ago, one of my stations did all their newscasts live from a stage at the NY State Fairgrounds during the entire run of the fair while the new sets were being installed. The last place I worked, we set up a green screen behind the anchor desk at our D.C. news bureau and keyed in the old studio background while the new ones were being built 17 miles away. It was a tight squeeze, having the whole news department working out of a space made for ten people, but it worked. No viewer could tell we weren't at our usual studio. When we were ready, just had the news department show up for work back at H.Q.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom