• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Anyone have special musical plans for Memorial Day?

Sirius and XM, over 1000 songs in a row, over 3 days, no commercials, not the same old worn out oldies. 8)

Interesting responses... for the most part.

To be more specific, does anyone have any plans for Memorial Day programming that will actually reflect the fact that it's, y'know, Memorial Day?

Mike Bratton said:

To be more specific, does anyone have any plans for Memorial Day programming that will actually reflect the fact that it's, y'know, Memorial Day?

A couple of stations in my market are runnings recorded messages from listeners to the troops. If you're looking for a station that will play John Phillips Sousa all weekend, I don't know of any.

TheFonz said:
Mike Bratton said:

A couple of stations in my market are runnings recorded messages from listeners to the troops. If you're looking for a station that will play John Phillips Sousa all weekend, I don't know of any.

Messages to the troops are great, as are messages from the troops. I was curious about music of the '60s and '70s, though--and Sousa didn't start having hits until the '80s and the '90s. The 1880s and 1890s, to be precise.

Nice jacket, by the way.

Sousa didn't start having hits until the '80s and the '90s. The 1880s and 1890s, to be precise....hard as hell to slip cue those wax cylinders... ;D

Mike Bratton said:
TheFonz said:
Mike Bratton said:

Messages to the troops are great, as are messages from the troops. I was curious about music of the '60s and '70s, though--and Sousa didn't start having hits until the '80s and the '90s. The 1880s and 1890s, to be precise.

Nice jacket, by the way.

Maybe you could help us by naming a few songs from the '60s and '70s that "will actually reflect the fact that it's, y'know, Memorial Day". You can wipe out much of the late '60s since a lot of that stuff was anti-military.

TheFonz said:
Mike Bratton said:
TheFonz said:
Mike Bratton said:

Nice jacket, by the way.

Maybe you could help us by naming a few songs from the '60s and '70s that "will actually reflect the fact that it's, y'know, Memorial Day". You can wipe out much of the late '60s since a lot of that stuff was anti-military.

I'm not exactly the Green Book Of Songs, but "Billy, Don't Be A Hero" comes to mind. A touch treacly, but it refers to sacrifice in war. Neil Diamond's "America" might be a good idea, as would Ray Charles' rendition of "American The Beautiful." Perhaps that will get the proverbial ball rolling...

Mike Bratton said:
TheFonz said:
Mike Bratton said:
TheFonz said:
Mike Bratton said:

Nice jacket, by the way.

I'm not exactly the Green Book Of Songs, but "Billy, Don't Be A Hero" comes to mind. A touch treacly, but it refers to sacrifice in war. Neil Diamond's "America" might be a good idea, as would Ray Charles' rendition of "American The Beautiful." Perhaps that will get the proverbial ball rolling...

Ray Charles and Neil Diamond are good. That would cover about 6 of the 1440 minutes we're trying to fill. No so sure about "don't be a hero". Is that a message we want to send on Memorial Day?

The title refers to the girlfriend of "Billy" asking his to keep his head down as he goes off to war--not to "be a hero." "Billy," of course, sacrifices his life for his buddies in the last verse of the song.

And I wasn't suggesting that such music could fill up an entire weekend--surely it didn't come across that way. Am I the only one here who thinks such "seasoning" on what's supposed to be a patriotic weekend is a bad idea?

Might as well include "The Ballad of the Green Berets"..."Billy" has that marching beginning with drums and flutes..kind of patriotic. Both were #1's.

Mike Bratton said:
TheFonz said:
Mike Bratton said:

Nice jacket, by the way.
I'd have to see the Billboard charts from those days before I can say whether or not they were "hits"! ;D

Elvis, "An American Trilogy"

Anyone remember "Voices that Care"? ???

Whitney Houston's rendition of "Star Spangled Banner"

Lee Greenwood, "God Bless the U.S.A."

We can reuse these choices over 4th of July weekend! ;D

"The Americans"- Byron MacGregor #4 in 1974
"Dawn of Correction"- The Spokesmen #36 1965
"Volunteers" - Jefferson Airplane
"Star Spangled Banner" - Jimi Hendrix
"Coming Home Soldier"- Bobby Vinton #11 1966

I've often thought it might be a neat idea for Memorial Day to have a countdown of artists who've left us before their time... a tribute to those who died way too young, but then I wonder if that would be in poor taste (I don't know).

The countdown would feature artists like Elvis, John Lennon, George Harrison, Karen Carpenter, Mama Cass, John Denver, Eddie Rabbitt, Rick Nelson, Dan Fogelberg, Andy Gibb, Dusty Springfield, Sonny Bono, Jim Croce, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Tammy Wynette, Patsy Cline, Jim Reeves, Otis Redding, Luther Vandross, Marvin Gaye, Bobby Darin, Nat King Cole, Dinah Washington, Roy Orbison, Marty Robbins, Conway Twitty, Roger Miller, Sam Cooke, Barry Sadler, Barbara Cowsill, Mary Wells, Tammi Terrell, Oliver, Sammi Smith, Bobbi Martin, Minnie Riperton, Laura Branigan, Harry Nilsson, Eddie Kendricks, Van McCoy, Freddie Mercury, Michael Hutchence, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, Big Bopper, Keith Moon & John Entwistle.....

These are just some that come to mind right now... I'm sure if you dig deep enough with some research, you could come up with so many more. This could make quite an interesting program, especially hearing about some forgotten artists you don't hear about anymore. But again, I don't know if audiences would find this morbid and depressing.

I'd have to see the Billboard charts from those days before I can say whether or not they were "hits"! the balad of the green berets # 1.. 2/9/66..stayed on charts for 11 weeks...billy don't be a hero #1.. 5/11/74..stayed on charts for 12 weeks..although not mentioned under BJ thomas, he did a song called "billy and sue" the stations in our area played it along side his hits at the time..maybe the ultimate sad lover dieing song...above taken from the billboard book of top forty hits..september 1990

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom