• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Another daytimer broadcasting away in the night

Who: 770 KHZ WAIS 1 KW Daytimer. Buchtel, Ohio, a city about 50 miles from Parkersburg, WVA.

When: Sat Aug 1 9:45 PM - I'm pretty sure that is past their bedtime.

Playing 50's & 60's country and running advertisments on a Saturday night right there in WABC's back yard.

WABC was having a bad signal night or I probably would not have caught it.

Now that takes some dangling bojangles.

Icangelp said:
Who: 770 KHZ WAIS 1 KW Daytimer. Buchtel, Ohio, a city about 50 miles from Parkersburg, WVA.

When: Sat Aug 1 9:45 PM - I'm pretty sure that is past their bedtime.

Playing 50's & 60's country and running advertisments on a Saturday night right there in WABC's back yard.

WABC was having a bad signal night or I probably would not have caught it.

Now that takes some dangling bojangles.

I'm sure WABC wouldn't be happy about this.

There are over 50 FM pirate stations in WABC's backyard, do you think the FCC will care about one AM station in Ohio staying on the air for one night.

Nick said:
There are over 50 FM pirate stations in WABC's backyard, do you think the FCC will care about one AM station in Ohio staying on the air for one night.

Apparently the FCC doesn't care because there are many stations that violate the hours and power they should be broadcasting with.

It's not hard to find stations that, due to low nighttime power and/or unfavorable directional pattern, cheat past radio sunset. Back in 1985 and '86, I worked at an Urban AC AM that haD vast signal superiority-day and especially night-over an Urban Contemporary AM competitor with a drop from 5 Kw omni day to 500w directional nights with the ugliest pattern known to man, shooting nulls over wide swaths of the city.

The competitor would regularly "forget" to change power and pattern at sunset in order to get better coverage. We had their studio private line phone number and would take turns scaring their jocks into changing to nighttime parameters by threatening them with an FCC complaint about their shennanigans. We'd hang up and run to a monitor radio...in about 30 seconds their signal would go to crap or drop out completely, meaning they are now on the nighttime kit!

The King Bee said:
It's not hard to find stations that, due to low nighttime power and/or unfavorable directional pattern, cheat past radio sunset. Back in 1985 and '86, I worked at an Urban AC AM that haD vast signal superiority-day and especially night-over an Urban Contemporary AM competitor with a drop from 5 Kw omni day to 500w directional nights with the ugliest pattern known to man, shooting nulls over wide swaths of the city.

The competitor would regularly "forget" to change power and pattern at sunset in order to get better coverage. We had their studio private line phone number and would take turns scaring their jocks into changing to nighttime parameters by threatening them with an FCC complaint about their shennanigans. We'd hang up and run to a monitor radio...in about 30 seconds their signal would go to crap or drop out completely, meaning they are now on the nighttime kit!

I remember various stations that used the excuse of switching to standard time in the fall as an excuse to broadcast another hour.

Wasn't so much as an excuse as just carelessness. All through October a station may have been signing off at 7pm. The DST switch happened the last Sunday in October but the station forgot for a week that it needed to sign off at 6pm. I used to hear WPRT in Prestonsburg KY every year that way.

gr8oldies said:
Wasn't so much as an excuse as just carelessness. All through October a station may have been signing off at 7pm. The DST switch happened the last Sunday in October but the station forgot for a week that it needed to sign off at 6pm. I used to hear WPRT in Prestonsburg KY every year that way.

In most cases you're right, but I suspect that there are at least a few stations that did it on purpose.

Early in my career, I used to compete against a station that only "forgot" to power down on Friday nights during high school football season. Oops!

A station I used to work at did just that under previous ownerships, we didn't do it but the guys who subcontracted the spoprts out begged us to, even promising to pay any fines we got (except you can't enforce an illegal contract!).

The King Bee said:

What worked for me is a call to the request line (back when music was played on AM by live jocks & radio was fun) & go on & on about how great they were coming in & then request a song. Invariably, the signal disappeared within 1 minute.

Not daytimers, but must have been running daytime power well after sunset. Heard in East Tennessee between 830 pm and 930pm Wed 8/5: 590 WVLK Lexington, 1440 WZYX Cowan, TN and 850 WXJC Birmingham. Also something interesting I noticed Wednesday, 1040 AM WHO was nowhere in sight. When I first tuned to 1040 heard French language dissecting "Hey Jude" by the Beatles. They would play a line from the song then a female announcer would repeat it in english then french. Does anyone know if WHO has been off or having trouble?

formerjock said:
Also something interesting I noticed Wednesday, 1040 AM WHO was nowhere in sight. When I first tuned to 1040 heard French language dissecting "Hey Jude" by the Beatles. They would play a line from the song then a female announcer would repeat it in english then french. Does anyone know if WHO has been off or having trouble?

AM radio propagation was rather odd on tuesday and wednesday this week, at least in the midwest and the east. For instance, normally inaudible KEEL 710 Shreveport was coming in with a decent signal level in No. Illinois. As for WHO, on the 4th and 5th, their signal was weaker than normal, but there. A station like WHO has a backup 50kW rig as well as emergency power, so it would take a lot for them to be off the air. CJMS is supposedly a country station, so they're playing Hey Jude - format change? There are applications for other Canadian stations on 1040 in Quebec, including Montreal, however, these are not on the air.

stormy01 said:
formerjock said:
Also something interesting I noticed Wednesday, 1040 AM WHO was nowhere in sight. When I first tuned to 1040 heard French language dissecting "Hey Jude" by the Beatles. They would play a line from the song then a female announcer would repeat it in english then french. Does anyone know if WHO has been off or having trouble?

AM radio propagation was rather odd on tuesday and wednesday this week, at least in the midwest and the east. For instance, normally inaudible KEEL 710 Shreveport was coming in with a decent signal level in No. Illinois. As for WHO, on the 4th and 5th, their signal was weaker than normal, but there. A station like WHO has a backup 50kW rig as well as emergency power, so it would take a lot for them to be off the air. CJMS is supposedly a country station, so they're playing Hey Jude - format change? There are applications for other Canadian stations on 1040 in Quebec, including Montreal, however, these are not on the air.

I live less than 2 hours from Montreal and I have never heard CJMS. I've checked out their website online and have read about the station. In the day for me 1040 is a very weak WYSL and at night it's WHO burried under WBZ hash.

I understand they have some paid programming on the station as well....some may be infomercials and some may not be. I'm wondering if that's what was being heard.

¿What do you know about these other applications for 1040 AM in Quebec? I'm interested to hear about them if you can share any information.

stormy01 said:
formerjock said:

I've heard 710 Shreveport in Chicago, but it's rare. Most often I hear 1130.

Another one that has been going for the last few months, WCEO in Columbia, SC (840). This signal blasts in all throughout the Carolinas, and almost blocks out WHAS in that area with their 50KW daytime signal. Has anybody noticed that Spanish signal anywhere else?

Thanks for the 840 WCEO tip. As you might guess, WHAS comes in like a local around Cincinnati, but I should be able to null them at least slightly & I'll give it a shot.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom