• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Another Audacy Flip in Miami?

With the recent flip of WNSH in New York, and the rumors of more "The Block" format changes on the way, it wouldn't be very surprising to see WSFS flip before the years end.

It's been hovering around 1.4-1.5 share for the last few months making it the company's worst performing FM in the market, and I cannot imagine that demographically it performs very well.

Would a classic hip-hop format of the nature of WNSH/WXBK (targeting a Hispanic audience) perform well in Miami?

With the recent flip of WNSH in New York, and the rumors of more "The Block" format changes on the way, it wouldn't be very surprising to see WSFS flip before the years end.

It's been hovering around 1.4-1.5 share for the last few months making it the company's worst performing FM in the market, and I cannot imagine that demographically it performs very well.

Would a classic hip-hop format of the nature of WNSH/WXBK (targeting a Hispanic audience) perform well in Miami?
It would have to be a more rhythmic, less hip hop type of blend but an easy to do music test would reveal the proper mix.

And with the rhythmic heritage of Power in the market being so strong, a station that mirrored its gold history could work well. But you need to get someone like "Funky Frank" Walsh to program, not some genius from the cold Northeast!

Target would be much more Hispanic and far less Black.

Makes sense; I think that would indeed be a decent route for the station to take. As longtime and highly attentive readers may recall, I've viewed 104.3 The Shark - which I like to call 104.3 The Flounder - in an unfavorable light for a very long time!

One could also make an argument that Power 96 itself ought to be the station making such music adjustments (or at least significantly integrate such music into its rotations).

There was also Dave FM from Audacy's San Francisco outlet. However for Miami that has to be seen here.

There was also Dave FM from Audacy's San Francisco outlet. However for Miami that has to be seen here.
The Dave concept is definitely not a Miami one. Miami is in Latin America, not Florida.

It would have to be a more rhythmic, less hip hop type of blend but an easy to do music test would reveal the proper mix.

And with the rhythmic heritage of Power in the market being so strong, a station that mirrored its gold history could work well. But you need to get someone like "Funky Frank" Walsh to program, not some genius from the cold Northeast!

Target would be much more Hispanic and far less Black.
I always thought some station should carve a younger niche making a CHR/rhythmic format incorporating top Eurodance hits (like Power did playing imports in the mid to late 90s and calling them "exclusives") and incorporating some select rhythmic-leaning reggaetón hits.

I know it is a stretch, but why not play what all the Spanish-formatted stations like (El Zol, Mix and Tu) and dance stations (like Revolution) choose not to play? Miami is the one market that could blend a station like that altogether. Power had that kind of playlist in the past and DJ 106.7 tried to do but fizzled.

We did have the re-birth of WSHE later Variety 103.5, but it seemed to fail. That was the only attempt at Variety Hits here.

Two points about a possible WSFS flip:

1) Entercom/Audacy's David Field was/is a big fan of alternative stations for the group. He felt there was excellent growth potential there. They flipped several stations to alt around the same time.

2) Don't just consider ratings for each station as to why it should flip formats. The Shark probably sells really well in combo with the company's two sports stations. All get low numbers, but combined, it's not horrible. Male, younger to middle age. I'm not sure which station marries well in sales with classic hip hop. Beach? Maybe. Power? Not really.

Miami is in Latin America, not Florida.
There was a time in the not so distant past I'd get in trouble for saying that. Now, nobody bats un ojo. 😀
I think that's because, in Miami's case, it's so blatantly obvious and there are numbers and stats to back up that statement. I don't think it degrades or belittles any particular ethnic group or nationality to say it - it's just stating the obvious.

I always thought some station should carve a younger niche making a CHR/rhythmic format incorporating top Eurodance hits (like Power did playing imports in the mid to late 90s and calling them "exclusives") and incorporating some select rhythmic-leaning reggaetón hits.

I know it is a stretch, but why not play what all the Spanish-formatted stations like (El Zol, Mix and Tu) and dance stations (like Revolution) choose not to play? Miami is the one market that could blend a station like that altogether. Power had that kind of playlist in the past and DJ 106.7 tried to do but fizzled.
There is an issue in that nowhere in the Caribbean basin is any form of dance popular at present... nor has it been for many decades. There are not many "Castles in the Sky" and friends that have enduring appeal, or someone would pick them up in their music testing, particularly if an experienced Miami PD or MD is involved.

There was a time in the not so distant past I'd get in trouble for saying that. Now, nobody bats un ojo. 😀
But those that figured it out decades ago, like Bill Tanner, got ratings that were astoundingly enviable.

There are not many "Castles in the Sky" and friends that have enduring appeal, or someone would pick them up in their music testing, particularly if an experienced Miami PD or MD is involved.
Maybe it's me forward thinking, but reggaeton is getting a heavy dose of rhythm. Farruko and "Pepas" is a worldwide chart topper and the likes of DJ Snake, Tiesto, Major Lazer, and David Guetta have brought plenty of songs to the mainstream to rap and pop genres. Then you have to include the sound of Dominican-inspired Dembow being led by the likes of El Alfa who just sold a Madison Square Garden appearance last week.

This LA Times Article would be a bit of proof to my thinking.

Reggaeton dances to a new beat, as lilt of dembow gives way to thump of EDM Reggaeton dances to a new beat, as lilt of dembow gives way to thump of EDM

Maybe it's me forward thinking, but reggaeton is getting a heavy dose of rhythm. Farruko and "Pepas" is a worldwide chart topper and the likes of DJ Snake, Tiesto, Major Lazer, and David Guetta have brought plenty of songs to the mainstream to rap and pop genres. Then you have to include the sound of Dominican-inspired Dembow being led by the likes of El Alfa who just sold a Madison Square Garden appearance last week.

Reggaeton dances to a new beat, as lilt of dembow gives way to thump of EDM Reggaeton dances to a new beat, as lilt of dembow gives way to thump of EDM
Couldn’t they move 104.3 back to WPB, where it originated from?

Interesting idea but the station is probably worth more in a bigger market. I thought it was foolish to move to a market already saturated with FM signals. It was once a big fish in a smaller pond, but look that pond has been growing too!

Reactions: djl
Filling a venue of ten to twenty thousand in a market of 18 million is not good proof of the appeal of anything.
Getting media advice from the failing LA TImes is like asking your physician for advice on sports betting.
Reggaetón goes back to the late 1980's. It is almost as old as hip-hop. It has only been in the last five to seven years that it has become "universal" in Latin America, generating derivatives or subsets. There is also, as exemplified by the most watched video in history, reggaetón influence in pop, blurring the boundaries between genres.

Miami is a $200 million dollar radio market. WPB is a $30 million market. Even a mediocre station in Miami bills much more than those in the Palm Beaches.

In the Palm Beaches, only two station bill over $3 million. In Miami, there are 33 such stations. The highest two billers in the Palm Beaches do an average of $4 million. In Miami, there 19 stations doing $4 million or more. And 7 doing over $8 million.

As it is, 104.3, as an also-ran with a format that is totally inappropriate for Miami, bills more than all but two of the WPB stations do in that market.

Filling a venue of ten to twenty thousand in a market of 18 million is not good proof of the appeal of anything.

Getting media advice from the failing LA TImes is like asking your physician for advice on sports betting.

Reggaetón goes back to the late 1980's. It is almost as old as hip-hop. It has only been in the last five to seven years that it has become "universal" in Latin America, generating derivatives or subsets. There is also, as exemplified by the most watched video in history, reggaetón influence in pop, blurring the boundaries between genres.
Sure David, let's say you're probably right on all accounts. That's the mindset when it comes to the narrowminded thinking of today's commercial radio companies that made me leave terrestrial radio for podcasting 16 years ago. As long as they can manipulate the small samples of actual listeners provided through Nielsen PPMs to siphon advertising dollars...but at the listener's expense and abandonment for streaming.

You could boast each local station's annual billing. They've been running a ridiculous amount of ads to make good on any advertiser's PPM expectations.

What do they care about? At the latest Hispanic Radio Conference, SBS COO Albert Rodriguez was quoted to have said "having too many commercials isn’t a bad thing." Univision Radio President Jesus Lara spoke of having “a couple of volume deals” with a couple of third-party players. Doesn't sound like the programming has any priority, nor does the listener base but hey look at all that billing.

Question is for how long? There will come a day that terrestrial radio will lose its battle for listeners for programming and cannot sustain targeting an aging demographic and a continued decline in billing and then what do you say to those cherished advertisers? I'd rather talk about long-term solutions then brag about being oversold.

Ignorance of the remaining audience (or any future adopters) will be the ultimate downfall of this medium until radio decides to actually tackle the digital disruption and learn how to program for the next generation of listeners and monetize them.

What's so wrong about thinking of up some new formats for a change and seek out some new listeners that know there is a radio on their car dashboard for a reason? Maybe they'll actually find something for them to check out on FM or AM that will be more than just tired programming and too many ads?

As always! Have the last word, David. I'm sure you'll say I don't know what I'm talking about like you tell everyone else.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom