• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Annoying TV Commercials 2013 Edition

Here are some of the most annoying commercials:

1. Any of the Geico ads where it shows those 2 guys saying for example "a witch in a broom factory." Who are those 2 guys? The only one that is not annoying is the one with the camel.

2. Any Progressive Ads with Flo.

3. The California Milk Commercial with the cow singing in the shower.

4. The commercial that takes place in the auto parts store where it looks like the guy is wearing a car engine on his head.

5. Any commercial for Popeye's Louisiana Chicken.

6. The Commercials for Sonic with those 2 guys in the car.

7. Any commercial featuring a washed up celebrity endorcing anything - Debby Boone, Pat Boone, Chuck Woolery, Henry Winkler, Alan Thicke, etc, etc, etc.

Any of the current ads for Time Warner Cable with Betty White, or with the "coach" yelling at whoever about how great Time Warner is, etc. It is such a turn off that i'm not even sure what is going on...much less what they are advertising....

Anything with X1 and Comcast. Said cable provider acts like you're a loser if you don't have or use their services. :mad:

1. Any of the Geico ads where it shows those 2 guys saying for example "a witch in a broom factory." Who are those 2 guys? The only one that is not annoying is the one with the camel.

4. The commercial that takes place in the auto parts store where it looks like the guy is wearing a car engine on his head.

7. Any commercial featuring a washed up celebrity endorcing anything - Debby Boone, Pat Boone, Chuck Woolery, Henry Winkler, Alan Thicke, etc, etc, etc.

Interesting list, and I would agree with most. But tastes vary, obviously, and that's why these ads persist. I actually still like "Flo," though her ads haven't concinvced me to switch to Progressive Car Insurance. I compare rates, and go with the lowest quote. Farmers was it.

I agree about the use of older celebrity endorsers for the most part, because they're usually for unpleasant products like catheters (Woolery). But I've got to exempt Debbie Boone. I saw her as 'host' of an infomercial for an Soft Rock Oldies record collection. She looks amazing. And I say that as a person that was NOT a fan of hers in the 70s. You Light Up My Life made me gag.

The insurance ad with the NBA player knocking things out of people's hands. It was bad but when he knocked the ceral out the little boys hands (the kid looked terrified), I wanted shoot my tv.

The insurance ad with the NBA player knocking things out of people's hands. It was bad but when he knocked the ceral out the little boys hands (the kid looked terrified), I wanted shoot my tv.

Dikembe Mutombo must have needed the money in order to get talked into doing that one. And it must have been a lot of money. A total embarrassment to such a great player.

I will actually disagree with you here. I don't care for any of other GEICO ads, but I LOVE that one ad! :D

P.S. Does GEICO still stand for the Government Employees Insurance Company?

I agree most of the ads mentioned are annoying. What bothers me the most is with Cox cable inserting their own "local" commercials on national tv channels. I can be watching FX, TNT, TBS, TVLand and many other national stations. When they go to their commercial, sometimes it plays all the way throught and other times, Cox inserts their own commercial 5 to 10 seconds into the other commercial. It can be the same way at the end, when Cox finishes and you come back to the last 5 seconds of the stations commercial. If it were something interesting it might be okay but many of the ads are for these medical lawsuits (hip replacement recalls, use of YAZ birth control, mesh sling and others), local attorneys for injury, or debt solutions or the wonderful family for Cox Bundles.

I agree most of the ads mentioned are annoying. What bothers me the most is with Cox cable inserting their own "local" commercials on national tv channels. I can be watching FX, TNT, TBS, TVLand and many other national stations. When they go to their commercial, sometimes it plays all the way throught and other times, Cox inserts their own commercial 5 to 10 seconds into the other commercial. It can be the same way at the end, when Cox finishes and you come back to the last 5 seconds of the stations commercial. If it were something interesting it might be okay but many of the ads are for these medical lawsuits (hip replacement recalls, use of YAZ birth control, mesh sling and others), local attorneys for injury, or debt solutions or the wonderful family for Cox Bundles.

Yes. COX has this problem too here in Connecticut. About the only good thing about COX is that unlike COMCAST you still don't need a Cable Box to have cable, at least for now.

Interesting list, and I would agree with most. But tastes vary, obviously, and that's why these ads persist. I actually still like "Flo," though her ads haven't concinvced me to switch to Progressive Car Insurance. I compare rates, and go with the lowest quote. Farmers was it.

I agree about the use of older celebrity endorsers for the most part, because they're usually for unpleasant products like catheters (Woolery). But I've got to exempt Debbie Boone. I saw her as 'host' of an infomercial for an Soft Rock Oldies record collection. She looks amazing. And I say that as a person that was NOT a fan of hers in the 70s. You Light Up My Life made me gag.

I was a Progressive customer, but not because of Flo. Progressive offered me a better rate than what I was paying with E-Surance back in '09. Right now Progressive cancelled my policy because I didn't pay them because I'm unemployed (and don't qualify for unemployment). When I get a job and insurance again, it look like I may be getting Geico. They seemed to be the cheapest out of the ones I checked.

I didn't realize she did a Time-Life infomercial. I was referring to the ad she does that endorses that crap that's supposed to make you look younger.

I think it happens with pretty much every cable company that offers local insertion ads (not all do). Whatever commercial playback system they use is not calibrated correctly at the local head-end or they are using approximate insert times (which can vary depending on the program). I see it happen occasionally on Comcast here in Houston, though it's usually just a fraction of second difference between the spots.

Both Metrocast cable in Starkville, MS and Bresnan Cable in Great Falls, MT (where I've lived previous) were horrible about having their local insertion system fire late or come back early.

The worst of the year was Progressive's "LET'S GET READY TO BUNDLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" mess. Made me want to throw the TV out the window. Honorable mention to Flo's horrible off-key performance of "I'll Stand By You".

I also don't like the X1 Xfinity ads, the CenturyLink "Do the Math" game show ad, and the new royalty Empire Today ad. Also don't like Geico's "Hump Day" commercial, very stupid imo.

-crainbebo

I have Comcast cable in the San Francisco Bay Area. Some of their local cable-only commercials are unintentionally hilarious - kind of the equivalent of old cheap local commercials in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Comcast subscribers from San Francisco will know what I'm talking about - Jaing and Associates (dentists), Ocean Avenue Service Station, and 19th Avenue 76..."Not just any 76 - 19th Avenue 76!!"

Any Honda commercial with the tweets, but especially the one with the blonde girl.

I definitely agree on the Progressive commercials. I looked into Progressive after I lost my agent with Farmers Insurance, & Progressive was gonna charge me as much for insurance on 2 cars with them as Farmers. My rate was about to go up to $140 a month for liability, & Progressive was going to charge me that much for a new policy. Since I didn't have more time, I settled for State Farm, & so far, I'm paying $78.12 a month on 2 cars. If my policy with Farmers wasn't about to expire, I was also gonna look at American Family Insurance, & they seem to have good commercials, & hear good stuff about them. So far, State Farm has been good for me, though I find their commercials annoying. As for why I lost my agent with Farmers? My original agent dropped Farmers, because the fees to stay a Farmers agent were so high, that he couldn't justify paying the new agent fees, & the rates were getting too expensive as well. No one wanted to take my former agents customers, & the one agent I wanted to go with at first didn't want to take me, because of the rates going higher than what most of her customers were going up. She did take us, but the district office pulled me out from under her, & was gonna make me go with someone else. That was when I dropped Farmers. Farmers District office in Crown Point Indiana was trying to make me go with an agent who has her office inside the same store front as a real estate business, & that there to me is a conflict of interest, & that agent also works for the real estate company.

The O'Reilley Auto Parts commercials are annoying, mainly with the singing of O O O'Reilley, Auto Parts.

Though US Cellular has exited my market, I still see their commercials online from time to time, & I get annoyed with that Bruce guy, who claims to be from that man's, or lady's wireless company (you choose who he's from, since it's generic in the commercial).

Popeyes is also annoying.

The KFC commercials for the boneless chicken are the worst yet. I hate how people said "You ate the bones".

GEICO commercials are annoying too. I also despise this company, because one of their customers totaled my mom's car, that person immediately cancels her policy, & GEICO somehow got out of paying for my mom's accident, her injuries, & other bills caused by the lady that rammed my mom's car. It also didn't help that Hammond Indiana police didn't bother to issue a warrant against the lady for hit & run. I will never give them the time of the day because of it.

The Walmart commercials where they have people comparing what they buy from their local grocery store, & getting the same items at Walmart, that Walmart will save them money. I don't know about most parts of the country, but Walmart doesn't always save us money, because sizes are limited at Walmart for certain brands, & some items can't even be found, due to some shelves being bare. For the Chicago market, they've primarily focused on Jewel, but if they compared Strack & Van Til or Ultra Foods (Ultra Foods is taking off big time in Chicagoland, & moved in a number of former Cub Foods locations), Walmart might be higher on some stuff, & for me, I usually find Walmart higher on a lot of stuff that I buy. So I do look at prices.

HH Gregg is another one that I don't like for commercials, or their stores in general.

The Walmart commercials where they have people comparing what they buy from their local grocery store, & getting the same items at Walmart, that Walmart will save them money. I don't know about most parts of the country, but Walmart doesn't always save us money, because sizes are limited at Walmart for certain brands, & some items can't even be found, due to some shelves being bare. For the Chicago market, they've primarily focused on Jewel, but if they compared Strack & Van Til or Ultra Foods (Ultra Foods is taking off big time in Chicagoland, & moved in a number of former Cub Foods locations), Walmart might be higher on some stuff, & for me, I usually find Walmart higher on a lot of stuff that I buy. So I do look at prices.
The use of the now seven-year-old song "Suddenly I See" by KT Tunstall in those commercials is what is REALLY annoying! That song (or at least a cover version of it) has also been used in commercials for Rooms to Go (the ones with Cindy Crawford in them) and Marshall's or some similar women's clothing store. So this tired song has been used in commercials almost continuously ever since it was a hit! Time to give it a rest, already! It was never that great of a song to begin with!

Ah, yes. KFC commercials (especially the kids eating the bones) are very annoying!

-crainbebo

I like a lot of the GEICO ads but some are annoying.

As for the age of a song used in commercials, many commercials have songs from the 60s or 70s. So that's not old.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom