• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Annoying and Overplayed Commercials on KFI

News radio KCBS runs ads for a company called Systems Pavers. The owner is a British man named Larry. Every spring and summer, Larry wants to voice commercials for re- landscaping your yard with his paving stones, so that you won’t be embarrassed by having a grubby looking yard for summertime entertainment. But his voice just gets annoying, because his tone is difficult to listen to.
Also a staple on KFI and KNX.

Along with the guy who "won't crack your stucco" when his guys replace your windows. "Your house could be made of potato chips and we couldn't crack one!"

Also a staple on KFI and KNX.

Along with the guy who "won't crack your stucco" when his guys replace your windows. "Your house could be made of potato chips and we couldn't crack one!"
Oh, yes, that guy ! He's another one of those home improvement business owners who want to voice their own commercials. Also overplayed is jewelry store owner Tom Shane, "You've got a friend in the diamond business", who apparently makes a very good living selling engagement rings. :D

Oh, yes, that guy ! He's another one of those home improvement business owners who want to voice their own commercials. Also overplayed is jewelry store owner Tom Shane, "You've got a friend in the diamond business", who apparently makes a very good living selling engagement rings. :D
Shane started doing those ads back in the 70s---at the time, they stood out against the heavily-produced, low-information spots from major chains like this one from Zales (this should roll right at the beginning, but if not, scroll to 1:43:50):

And in a total coincidence, this 1979 aircheck also features Tom Shane for Shane Co. at 57:38 in.

Also overplayed is jewelry store owner Tom Shane, "You've got a friend in the diamond business", who apparently makes a very good living selling engagement rings. :D
Shane started doing those ads back in the 70s---at the time, they stood out against the heavily-produced, low-information spots from major chains like this one from Zales
Tom Shane might have begun by voicing his own spots, but I believe the man died quite a few years ago. For a long time it's been a voice actor pretending to be him. If you listen critically to their ads, he no longer claims to be "Tom Shane", as that would be deceptive advertising.

Tom Shane might have begun by voicing his own spots, but I believe the man died quite a few years ago. For a long time it's been a voice actor pretending to be him. If you listen critically to their ads, he no longer claims to be "Tom Shane", as that would be deceptive advertising.

I'd ask you to provide a source for that, but why bother? It's not true. Tom Shane is alive, and just a month ago was sued by a former executive (story behind paywall):

Shane Co. founder created subsidiary to pay girlfriends, ex-exec says - BusinessDen

Shane started doing those ads back in the 70s---at the time, they stood out against the heavily-produced, low-information spots from major chains like this one from Zales (this should roll right at the beginning, but if not, scroll to 1:43:50):

And in a total coincidence, this 1979 aircheck also features Tom Shane for Shane Co. at 57:38 in.
Thank you, Michael; your research expertise is amazing. I do see the difference in these two commercials. -- D.

I'd ask you to provide a source for that, but why bother? It's not true. Tom Shane is alive, and just a month ago was sued by a former executive (story behind paywall):

Shane Co. founder created subsidiary to pay girlfriends, ex-exec says - BusinessDen
Yes, it appears you are right and I was misremembering. I wish I could recall where I saw/heard it. Or, if I'm conflating Shane with someone else, who that someone else was.

(BTW, paywalls only succeed if the text of the article isn't buried inside the page's HTML code. If it's there, and you're willing to display the HTML code and slug through it, you too can read the article text. It's rarely pleasant, but it's doable.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom