• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM station power and rules for protecting 2nd and 3rd adjacents.

This subject came up when I had lunch with an old friend. He used to work for Chicago's Newsweb station's. He worked primarily with their AM time brokered stations.

I had asked him the company want to change the COL of WNDZ AM 750 from Portage, Indiana to Dolton, Il. and WAIT AM 850 from Crystal Lake Il. to Itasca, Il. These are all in the Chicago metro. I thought it was a simple matter of being able to market them better by seeming they were closer to the city itself.

He indeed said that was one reason, they never filed for a physical move, just change of COL. On WCPT AM 820 changed their COL to enable them to get permission to broadcast after sunset, from a seperate tx site.

This was approved, the WNDZ and WAIT were denied. He told me that some thought was given to moving the signals closer to Chicago, most likely duplexing on a current tower, which could be done near the new COL's.

They were thinking of lowering the power, this was to save on towers and power consumption, while still reaching the area's they target with a good signal.

Would this be allowed? WAIT has to protect WCPT as a third adjacent and WNDZ has to protect 50kW WGN and WBBM both seperated by 30 kilohertz.

Could stations such as WNDZ and WAIT do this? At 30 kilohertz what is the closest they could move to the city core, at a power of 250 or 1,000 watts, as opposed to the current 15kW and 2.5kW, respectively?

What is the distance in miles that has to seperate a 2nd or 3rd adjacent, from a lower power station moving in?

I have heard in the past that WNVR has also considered either lowering their daytime power and moving in from The Crystal Lake area. There was some discussion of WNVR using a seperate nightime tower or towers located closer to an area on Chicago's North Side, where a great amount of their Polish speaking listeners reside.

They are a 3rd adjacent to 50kW-DA-2 to WMVP(WCFL).

I am curious if anything I said here is possible. If anyone could exlplain any of this I would appreciate it.

• 2nd Adjacent Channel Stations
– 5 mV/m contours cannot overlap
• 3rd Adjacent Channel Stations
– 25 mV/m contours cannot overlap

In short the answer is "it depends" If I were to guess I'd say probably not in this case...lower power adjacent stations might have a chance

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom