• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 940

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the southwest suburbs of Chicago ...

Days, nothing midday, though WFAW Fort Atkinson, Wis., has been noted near sunset.

Nights, CBM Montreal traditionally ruled. Replacement CFNV is weaker and working off two towers. I believe CBM was nondirectional.

Others over the years: KIOA / KPSZ Des Moines; daytimer WCPC Houston, Miss., on signoff, and on 2/16/2021 on overnight; CJGX Yorkton, Sask.; XEQ Mexico City; and most recently on 1/15/2023, WMAC Macon, Ga., another 50 kW daytimer burning the midnight oil.

In east-central Iowa. Daytime KPSZ Des Moines, IA.
Nighttime is a pretty interesting mix. Kind of like spinning the prize wheel to see what you might win. Maybe not quite that exciting, but still, there's no predictable regular station there whatsoever. Most often, I've heard KPSZ Des Moines, CJGZ Yorkton, SK, or XEQ Mexico City. Other catches include the 940 from Montreal (this used to be a regular back in the day, but I haven't heard it in a long time), WCIT Lima, OH, KVSH Valentine, NE, KSWM Springfield, MO, KIXZ Amarillo, TX, and my biggest catch on 940, WINZ Miami. Remarkably, if my memory is correct, WINZ remains the only station from the state of Florida that I've ever heard from home.
I don't think I've heard CFNV Montreal on 940 since it has been on the air (since 2016-17). I think I only heard its predecessor on 940, CINW, which went off the air in 2010.

I once heard KTFS in Texarkana.
Apparently they're one of the first stations to go all-Christmas music this year

Apparently they're one of the first stations to go all-Christmas music this year

Caught this yesterday at sunset and was wondering who was playing Christmas music until I heard that “Christmas 105.9” ID.

Not sure what day KTFS flipped. But WLIT here in "Chicagoland" flipped November 2. Thus creating a significant decreas in iHeart accountants' Maalox consumption.

Seriously, I was a little surprised they flipped that early. WLIT already has very strong ratings, and is by all accounts is a significant cash cow. Frankly, I'm not exactly a fan of WLIT's Christmas music presentation. Maybe it's just me, but they seem to have much more clutter than they used to. The heavy commercial load is nothing new. But I don't think I've heard two back to back songs in the 20-minute music sweep I heard in the car. ALWAYS a plug or a promo between the tunes.

Clifton, New Jersey

Days: Some splatter from 930 WPAT Paterson, NJ. The transmitter is only 3 miles away from me at 5,000 watts.

Nights: Same as during the day except when CFNV "AM 940" Montreal, QC comes in depending on propagation.

In north suburban Chicago: Can usually hear a weak WFAW Fort Atkinson, WI during the daytime and sometimes at night if the frequency isn't too much of a jumble.

As a budding DXer of 12 or 13 years old, CBM was my first "real DX" catch. It was a thrill to hear their sign-off with "O Canada" and "God Save the Queen" coming thru the tinny speaker of my portable transistor radio. I even got a QSL card from them. Ah, what fun.

@r388yh
GREAT memories there vis a vis those old blue-and-white glossy CBC QSL cards,
Age 11-12-13 or so are such critical, irreplaceable foundational years -- ain't they? -- for kids growing up and learning to wobble outside of the litter and explore regions other than the front stoops, backyard fences and other restraints to other worlds they'd been issued with.
(It's also been said, for decades, that age 12 is also when a 'yoot' initially and irretrievably finds his/her own pop musical refrain as an idle guide through life.

It's great to have yet one more communicator aboard, pal! Thanks again!)

In north suburban Chicago: Can usually hear a weak WFAW Fort Atkinson, WI during the daytime and sometimes at night if the frequency isn't too much of a jumble.

As a budding DXer of 12 or 13 years old, CBM was my first "real DX" catch. It was a thrill to hear their sign-off with "O Canada" and "God Save the Queen" coming thru the tinny speaker of my portable transistor radio. I even got a QSL card from them. Ah, what fun.
Welcome to the board! Keep the posts coming! You're always among friends here.

From NW San Antonio:

Day: Heavy splatter from local 930 KLUP.

Sunset: Aiming NE/SW I can null the splatter a tiny bit and hear XEQ "La Q" in Mexico City. KTFS (currently playing Christmas music) in Texarkana is often underneath or mixing in at times before it drops to night power.

Night: The splatter is reduced a little, and XEQ is stronger in the NE/SW partial null.

Sunrise: KTFS and KIXZ in Amarillo usually come up briefly with weak signals. WYLD in New Orleans comes up consistently when it goes to day power and sometimes has a decent signal if I aim E/W. XEQ ends up being the last to fade.

DX/Retro: Using a narrow filter or sync detector and E/W orientation, I can occasionally hear XEMMM in Mexicali, XERLA in Santa Rosalía (in Baja California South), or WINZ "Fox Sports" in Miami pop up weakly for brief bits and mix with XEQ. Also, before they were retired, I often used to hear XEYJ in Nueva Rosita and XERKS "Radiorama" in Reynosa mixing in with XEQ at night.

My one-time loggings include WMAC in Macon, GA (sunrise) and KSWM in Aurora, MO (sunset).

Last edited:
South Mississippi:

Day: good signal from WYLD New Orleans - Hallelujah 940, which runs AM stereo since installing a Nautel NX10 transmitter in 2020.
Night: mostly XEQ Mexico City - La Q and WINZ- Fox Sports Miami, sometimes
WYLD
WCPC Houston, MS - Truth Radio 940
WMAC Macon, GA - News Talk 940

Have tp confess that I've probably spent more time in the WYLD gospel music tent at New Orleans Jazzfest eating gumbo and washing it down with a cold Abita Amber than I have actually listening to WYLD. :)

KKNE - Wikipedia Honolulu. Remember when KDEO Country Radio AM 940 was a MLB Dodgers affiliate? Usually aired weekend and holiday games. In Hilo at night you could hear the 50,000 watt Fresno station when you rotated the radio a certain direction.

KKNE - Wikipedia Honolulu. Remember when KDEO Country Radio AM 940 was a MLB Dodgers affiliate? Usually aired weekend and holiday games. In Hilo at night you could hear the 50,000 watt Fresno station when you rotated the radio a certain direction.
Welcome to the board. As many here are aware, I spent my junior year of High School at McKimlry in Honolulu (1964-65). 940 was country then (as KAHU) before several format flips. Now apparently, they're bacck to the[r roots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom