• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 880

cyberdad

Staff member
40 miles NW of downtown Chicago....

Days: Splatter from WLS Chicago

Nights: WCBS usually in with a fair-good signal. CKLG frpm Manitoba. Usually either underneath or mixing with WCBS. Sometimes even on top.

Sunrise/Sunset: KRVN from Nebraska makes it in And on top.

Other Location: At the Gulf near Pensacola, it;s usually R. Progreso from Cuba. WCBS sometimes underneath or mixing from time to time.

880 WCBS - New York NY - Newsradio 880 - All news – CBS -2023 - very good at night

880 WXBN -Sweetwater FL - BIN 880 - Black Information Radio - 2023 - Miami area - heard around sunset

880 CMBC - Pinar del Rio CU - Radio Progreso - "La Onda de la Alegria" (890 has a better signal) 2023

kw - Melbourne FL

In Pickerington, Ohio, it's local Salem daytimer WRFD with 23,000 watts daytime and 6,100 at critical hours. Once it goes off for the night, a solid WCBS is waiting to take its place.
I've heard WCBS under WRFD at critical hours, but about 35 miles east of Columbus around Newark. WRFD remains strong enough at my home location to cover anything else.

Near north Chicago suburbs: days minor WLS splatter, nights usually strong WCBS best of the NY signals at my location. I have heard CKLG and KRVN usually pre sunrise.

I've wondered how far out it gets @radioman148. They have a solid signal whenever they're on the air and certainly enough wattage to make it there at critical hours. I imagine 880 sounds ugly somewhere east of here when WCBS and WRFD clash.

Right now 3:35 PM in Annapolis MD I can hear a sports game on WCBS, inside the house on the CCRadio2E.
It is perfectly listenable. They come in on the GE Super Radio as well.
Very subjectively, at night WCBS frequently wins the button punch among the NYC clears.

Daytime reception of WCBS and NYC clears is not as good in summer, compared to winter.

Today when the local 1030 signs off for the day, WBZ will come right on in and make itself at home.

Last edited:
Kenosha, WI Days- Usually nothing, but occasionally in the dead of winter I can hear a VERY weak WRFD Worthington, OH (Columbus).

Critical hours- Can be WRFD, KRVN Lexington, NE (very common), or WMEQ Menomonie, WI (near Eau Claire). WCBS is usually an early visitor also. A couple months ago in the parking lot @ work (Waukegan, IL) at about 4:45 AM I heard a VERY strong WXBN Sweetwater, FL (BIN 880) all alone.

Nights- WCBS is usually strong and all alone. Consistently the best of the NY clears for me.

From Gaffney, Upstate SC

Daytime:
880 WPEK (ESPN Asheville) with a weak signal.

Nighttime:
880 WCBS-AM from NY with a decent signal most of the night, sometimes with splattering from neighboring / slightly stronger at times WWL 870.

I forgot to mention that in the late 70's and early 80's, I've heard WCBS in California late at night after KRVN signed off.

Not a very strong signal but enough to easily ID and listen to.

But yet I was never able to hear WNBC which was an open frequency from California at night in those days.

Strange considering both stations broadcast from the same location and same tower.

From west Houston TX

Daytime is semi-local KJOZ in Conroe TX, currently running regional Mexican "La Grande" //translator 104.5. Around sunset, I have nulled KJOZ and heard Radio Progreso from Cuba and KLRG Sheridan AR (Arkansas Rocks classic rock format).

At night, KRVN has a good signal in KJOZ null and I have also heard WCBS a couple of times. In January 2022 I heard the KJJR Whitefish MT DX test.

Sunrise, KLRG is sometimes heard, along with KRVN, before KJOZ goes to day power.

For the last few months KJOZ has had a much better night signal at my location than previously. They're supposedly directional toward me, but their nighttime signal has always been poor. As it stands, KRVN is the only other station I can regularly hear on this frequency.

Denver - Daytime, nothing. Nighttime, KRVN is often practically like a local, to the extent that there's related chatter on 870 and 890.

Farmington, NM for the eclipse yesterday - Daytime, KHAC Tse Bonito, NM, which is near Gallup. Not a local signal and can be nulled out pretty easily. Nighttime, KRVN, frequently strong.

I don't recall getting anything on this frequency, day or night, when I lived in Oakland, CA;

Wilmington Delaware

Days - WCBS with a good signal

Nights - WCBS with a good signal but subject to some fading. Not as strong as fellow All News WINS 1010. On occasion I've heard something in the backround and there was a mention of the Black Information Network so it must have been WXBN in Miami.

Sunrise - WCBS is overrun many winter mornings by WRFD before 8 am. When I'm driving to work at 7:45am the 2 stations are at equal strength then WRFD fades away as the sun rises higher. No problems in summer.

East Tennessee: Days-a weak one-time Progressive talker and now ESPN WPEK, Asheville, NC. Sunset can bring the aforementioned WRFD in with WCBS. Nights is mostly WCBS.
Retro/other: Dayton and Western Ohio. All WRFD during the day, and even with 5000 watts, the station pretty much covered the state. They made a quixotic pursuit in the 70s for nighttime authorization which of course never happened. They were one of the first Music Of Your Life-type stations as The Unrock of Central Ohio. 23000 watts is a huge signal now.

I heard KRVN once at 1am Eastern in Ohio, must have been on day pattern. When I lived in Quincy, IL KRVIN as a daily sunrise visitor.

In the East Bay, at night I can usually hear a mess with a station airing some kind of Spanish language programming (music. I think?) on top. Haven't ID'd it yet.

In the daytime, I think nothing (haven't checked in a while).

c

East Tennessee: Days-a weak one-time Progressive talker and now ESPN WPEK, Asheville, NC. Sunset can bring the aforementioned WRFD in with WCBS. Nights is mostly WCBS.
Retro/other: Dayton and Western Ohio. All WRFD during the day, and even with 5000 watts, the station pretty much covered the state. They made a quixotic pursuit in the 70s for nighttime authorization which of course never happened. They were one of the first Music Of Your Life-type stations as The Unrock of Central Ohio. 23000 watts is a huge signal now.

I heard KRVN once at 1am Eastern in Ohio, must have been on day pattern. When I lived in Quincy, IL KRVIN as a daily sunrise visitor.

I remember one night in 2012 or 2013, back when I was living about 30 miles east of Columbus in Thornville, Ohio, a station was giving WCBS fits around midnight or 1 a.m. Lots of co-channel fighting. I think this was in the winter months but not sure. I fully expected that it was KRVN, but it turned out WRFD was on for some reason at that hour. Haven't heard that since.

Here in Wood Dale, IL in the near NW suburb of Chicago:

Daytime: nothing
Nighttime: normally WCBS, but WMDB Nashville, TN has been making regular appearances with their Ranchera format, no doubt using their daytime power.

DX/Retro: KRVN and CKLQ are common catches at night. Others heard on this frequency include KLRG (Sheridan, AR), KJOZ (Conroe, TX), WPEK (Fairview, NC), WMEQ (Menomonie, WI), WRFD (Columbus, OH) and the Cuban CMAF Radio Progreso (Pinar del Rio). Most recent new catch on this frequency is KJJR from Whitefish, Montana during their DX test in January of 2022.

Back
Top Bottom