• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 870

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone somehow show me what the Wobber and Bubbler sound like?

c
The correct answer for the wobbler is, "Like nothing you've probably ever heard". The closest I can come if you've never heard it is,"sort of the noise a hand saw blade makes if you wiggle the blade back and forth".

As for the "Bubbler", I don't think I've ever heard of that one. Maybe someone smarter than me has a better answer for either or both of these two,

Huh, interesting. I listened to the example posted by @gr8oldies , and it does indeed sound a lot like someone wobbling a hand saw around.

I don't hear anything like it here on the west coast. At least, I don't think so. Now that I know what it sounds like, I can keep an ear out for it.

I would suppose the Bubbler sounds similar to the Wobbler, except it more closely resembles some sort of bubbling sound versus a wobbling saw.

c

Are their transmitters from the 50’s like a lot of their cars, that might explain it
No. The first rebuild of radio in Cuba in the mid to late 60's used Czech AM transmitters provided by the Russians. They ranged from 1 kw to 30 kw, 60 kw and 120 kw rigs and one 300 kw unit. The more recent rebuild of AM used very sophisticated Chinese transmitters and, usually, 2 to 4 AMs on one tower in regional transmitter centers and 2 to 3 units in local area operations. The FMs were built out by the Chinese, also, using 2 to 4 FMs on single towers and antennae.

I had the 30 and 60 kw units pitched to me around 1967 by a pair of Russians. One guy knew his transmitter stuff and had been an engineer with Svetlana earlier in his career. The other guy, in a really, really bad suit, was obviously from some Soviet security organization like the KGB or other James Bond enemies. I did not buy one. What was amusing was the expression on the security guy's face when they were brought to my office; the spook was obviously disconcerted with amusing facial expressions upon finding that the station owner was 19 or 20 and very obviously a gringo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom