• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the week: 660

Thanks for the info on 648 as the former BBC World Service transmitter. It will be interesting to see how the reincarnation of R. Caroline fares on 648....both in terms of how well the signal does with 1kw, and also in terms of attracting a following. I believe there's already an online stream using the R. Caroline name. If so, I have to wonder whether or not there's any connection with the launch coming to 648.
Absolutely! It's the same group and they can trace a direct lineage back to the first incarnation of Caroline in 1964. Of course there are none of the original members still involved and many have now passed on but it's ultimately the same organisation.

As for attracting a following, well I'm under no illusions they'll top the ratings. The format is likely to be album rock rather than 60s pop, because that is the way Caroline went in its later years at sea. But the last sea based broadcast from Caroline was 27 years ago now, and AM is a niche thing in the UK now. So it'll be a niche format on a niche waveband.....

Last edited:
@bmr. Thanks again for the info.. The format and niche sounds almost exactly what I expected, but I was unclear about what, if any, connection existed with the original. It's always gratifying to me when someone or some group keeps a "legacy" going.

Daytime Houston - weak to moderate KSKY Dallas. Nighttime - I have never, from Texas, ever managed to hear WFAN or its predecessor WNBC. In spite of being able hear WCBS prior to KRVN signing on, and WABC prior to KAAM (although WABC was tougher due to KOB / KKOB). 660, though, was a blank spot. Nothing during KSKY maintenance / off the air periods. I threw some serious resources into it - nothing. These days nighttime is a jumble. I suspect I've gotten Window Rock a couple of times - no ID though.

When I lived in Houston, I don't think I ever heard a New York station at night. The farthest I heard, at least domestically, were WLW and, occasionally, WGN and WBBM (although the Chicago stations typically were DX'able only in the fall and winter, at least in my experience). WLW could be DX'd there at any time of year.
WHAS was a usual visitor as well, but of course it's slightly closer to Houston than WLW.

Here in W. Washington it's CFFR 90% of the nighttime. When conditions are poor the country station north of here, in Mt. Vernon WA comes in at night (KAPS).

Sometimes KTNN Window Rock AZ comes in, which is quite cool to hear.

Daytime, of course, it's a moderate strength KAPS.

I used to hear KXOR Junction City OR at night a lot (Spanish language programming), but not so much lately when I tune in the frequency. Not even sure if they are on the air.

Days:::Nothing

Nights::KTNN from Window rock AZ. Very strong signal with some minor fade in and out. Can get it indoors as well. Not a bad signal for exactly 712 miles from my location ( transmitter site to home )

From Central Baldwin County, Alabama, not too far from where cyberdad vacations…

Days: WXQW 660, which is the third strongest signal on the dial here. It's currently doing news/talk with gospel on the weekends.

Nights it's usually WXQW but I have also heard Radio Progreso (same as 650 and 4765 kHz) a few times. I have never heard WFAN or KTNN.

Here in Wood Dale, IL in the near NW suburb of Chicago:

Daytime: Noting but WSCR splatter/IBOC noise
Nightime: If WSCR IBOC is off and nulled than its usualy WFAN that makes it

DX/RETRO: Some catches in the 80's/90's include KSKY (Dallas, TX), WVAL (Sauk Rapids, MN), WESC (Greenville, NC). My most recent catches on this freuency is KTNN (Window Rock, AR) in 2006. Foreign DX include Radio Progreso, Cuba, XERPM - Mexico City, HRNN - La Ceiba, Honduras and Voice of Nicaragua - Esteli, Nicaragua

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom