• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the week: 1340

cyberdad

Administrator
Staff member
Far northwest suburban Chicago....

Days: Another battle of weak signals. WJOL from Joliet, IL and WJYS from Milwaukee. Both are about 60 miles from me. WJYS generally gets the better of it, but not by much. I attribute that to the signal path being more urban between here and Joliet, but more rural between here and Milwaukee. Whatever. The two are both weak enough that I can null one and hear the other.

Nights: 1340 is my favorite graveyard channel. As often as not something breaks through. The three most recent new catches for me (this past spring) were WSOY from Decatur, IL, KROS from Clinton, IA, and KROC from Rochester, MN.

Other Locations: One of my more interesting catches this winter was daytime skywave from KQDE from Evergreen, Montana on the St. Paul Alberta SDR. Weak but alone and listenable from a distance of more than 300 miles.

I also get a similar distance hop daytime via saltwater at our vacation spot near Pensacola, FL from WTAN out of Clearwater. Again, a very weak signal but alome, rerliable, and listernable.

Finally, during my college days in southeast Iowa, I made repeated attempts to catch the Milwaukee 1340. Which in those days was legendary top-40 WRIT. It took me until my junior year, but one early Monday morning, I finally snagged it.

A classic graveyard channel...

Occupied here 24/7 by local KDTD, 1 kW ND. Highly listenable by day, some skywave interference at night as I am 20 miles due south of the transmitter site.

Bob

In the near north Chicago suburbs all I get during the day is splatter from nearby WKTA. At night it's not as bad and like everyone else I hear a graveyard mess.
I have heard WSOY a few times.
Getting back to daytime, if I drive a few miles further away from WKTA I do hear a fair/weak WJOL during the day.

I don't know if you're interested in the west coast, but here in San Diego I can get NPR KCLU Santa Barbara during the day. It's 650 watts day and night, according to Wikipedia. That's a long ways away, but a straight shot across the Pacific. Not very strong right now, but it had been better a few days ago. I'll spend some time on 1340 tonight to see if anything emerges from all the stations.

Chicago by the lakeshore:

During the day this frequency depends on exactly where I am. If I'm slightly away from the lake I'll hear WJOL in Joliet, and if I'm at the lake or south of the city I'll hear WTRC in Elkhart, IN. One time I was able to get an ID for WJYI in Milwaukee when I was driving at the right spot on Lake Shore Drive but normally I can't hear it at all.

At night, 1340 is a cacaphony of many signals. I've only identified one station at night... a few weeks ago I was able to ID WSOY in Decatur, IL.

I don't know if you're interested in the west coast, but here in San Diego I can get NPR KCLU Santa Barbara during the day. It's 650 watts day and night, according to Wikipedia. That's a long ways away, but a straight shot across the Pacific. Not very strong right now, but it had been better a few days ago. I'll spend some time on 1340 tonight to see if anything emerges from all the stations.

We are interested in reception from anywhere so welcome.
I'm not surprised at your good reception over salt water. Many years ago I was on a large hill near San Diego over looking the water. This was mid day and I heard several San Francisco stations. Having a clear shot over water really helps radio signals.

East Tennessee: Local WKGN in Knoxville but you don't have to get far away to hear WGRV, Greenville TN underneath. Nighttime, just the usual graveyard mess.

Retro/other: Western Ohio. I worked in the building housing WIZE, Springfield OH transmitter. It was at one time the studio building too, but we were using the studio building for WULM-1600. It was one of Clear Channel's test stations for iBoc, but programming-wise just a relay of WONE. Depending on where one is in that part of Ohio it's WIZE or WXFN (the former WLBC), Muncie IN.

You may recall the busy signal that was running every night on 1340 last winter? DXers DFed this signal to WXKX, Clarksburg WV, which had trouble with a phone line feeding ESPN programming. This station is now under silent STA. It was heard far and wide. I did not ever hear it in Knoxville with the local station on 1340, but heard it on SDRs in Edinburgh IN, Farmington MI, and Cleveland OH. DXers heard the busy signal as far away as Minneapolis.

We are interested in reception from anywhere so welcome.
I'm not surprised at your good reception over salt water. Many years ago I was on a large hill near San Diego over looking the water. This was mid day and I heard several San Francisco stations. Having a clear shot over water really helps radio signals.

Welcome to the board, Chuck. We're interested in reports from anywhere, so don't be shy and keep 'em coming. I used to have both business and family in San Diego, so I used to get into town on a fairly frequent basis. I found it to be a great spot for DX. Especially when I stayed in North County along the coast or up in the hills in and around Rancho Bernardo or Escondido.

Orange County, TX, normally 1340 would be occupied by KOLE-Port Arthur but they haven't been on the air for some time now. Back in the rock-n-roll days they were one of the stations most listened to by us teenagers. Since they've been silent frequent visitors to my QTH are KAND Corsicana, TX, KVNN Victoria, TX, KRBA Lufkin, TX, KRMD Shreveport, LA and occasionally WAML Collins, MS.

Here in Wood Dale, IL in the near NW suburb of Chicago:

Daytime: WJOL
Nightime: just a jumbled mess

DX/RETRO: KBTA (Batesville, AR), WJYI (Milawaukee, WI), WSOY (Decatur, IL), WTRC (Elkhart, IN), WLBC (Muncie, IN), WHPI (Herrin, IL), KROS (Clinton, IA) some of my DX on this frequency.

Thanks for the welcome, Radioman.

I listened last night for a bit. I heard a reference to Bullhead City, AZ, which could have been Las Vegas KKGK.

Coast to Coast AM was dominating somewhat, and I even heard call letters that I didn't understand well enough to identify. I'll try again tonight.

I was using an old CCrane Justice Antenna plugged into an Icom IC-R75.

Orange County, TX, normally 1340 would be occupied by KOLE-Port Arthur but they haven't been on the air for some time now...

So that explains why I'm not hearing them in Houston.

I don't spend a lot of time on the GY channels, but on 1340, the most-often heard station at night is KVNN in Victoria TX, usually mixing with KAND Corsicana TX.

West Central Georgia:

Days: Local WOKS Columbus GA 1000 "The Voice of the Community" Black gospel, MoTown Oldies or whatever

Nights: Very weak WOKS, can hear WIFN Atlanta GA 1000 ESPN Sports underneath from time to time

Tonight I heard KCLU from Santa Barbara. Then a slight turn of the antenna brought in that station that mentions Bullhead City in Arizona. Tonight they were talking about the Colorado River and also mentioned Lake Havasu. I'm sure it's KTOX out of Needles, CA. Wikipedia says that one of the areas it serves is Bullhead City.

There are also dozens of other stations running in the background, or so it seems. Some patience would probably get me a few for the logs.

Tonight I heard KCLU from Santa Barbara. Then a slight turn of the antenna brought in that station that mentions Bullhead City in Arizona. Tonight they were talking about the Colorado River and also mentioned Lake Havasu. I'm sure it's KTOX out of Needles, CA. Wikipedia says that one of the areas it serves is Bullhead City.

There are also dozens of other stations running in the background, or so it seems. Some patience would probably get me a few for the logs.

On 1340 I'm sure you could hear alot if you listen long enough.

In case you're not already familiar with it, this link should help you track down what you're hearing.....https://www.radio-locator.com

Navigation is pretty much self explanatory. If you want to check out a specific frequency, go to "advanced search".

Thanks, Cyberdad. I'd been using Wikipedia, but that looks better. Entering Bullhead City produced KTOX from Needles.

Tonight I heard what sounded like "KRKO." It came out of nowhere, then promptly left again. It wasn't KRKO, but it probably was KIKO near Phoenix. I need to record this mess. Occasionally some call letters burst out of the fog and I don't quite catch them.

Far northwest suburban Chicago....

Days: Another battle of weak signals. WJOL from Joliet, IL and WJYS from Milwaukee. Both are about 60 miles from me. WJYS generally gets the better of it, but not by much. I attribute that to the signal path being more urban between here and Joliet, but more rural between here and Milwaukee. Whatever. The two are both weak enough that I can null one and hear the other.

Nights: 1340 is my favorite graveyard channel. As often as not something breaks through. The three most recent new catches for me (this past spring) were WSOY from Decatur, IL, KROS from Clinton, IA, and KROC from Rochester, MN.

Other Locations: One of my more interesting catches this winter was daytime skywave from KQDE from Evergreen, Montana on the St. Paul Alberta SDR. Weak but alone and listenable from a distance of more than 300 miles.

I also get a similar distance hop daytime via saltwater at our vacation spot near Pensacola, FL from WTAN out of Clearwater. Again, a very weak signal but alome, rerliable, and listernable.

Finally, during my college days in southeast Iowa, I made repeated attempts to catch the Milwaukee 1340. Which in those days was legendary top-40 WRIT. It took me until my junior year, but one early Monday morning, I finally snagged it.

There are a number of them out here in the west, but my fav is KVGC in Jackson, CA . I helped the owner build it out, and even found the CP for him, which hew bought from the original guy that won the CP. It's no powerhouse, but he serves the community very well, and is making a living with his family...

Thanks, Cyberdad. I'd been using Wikipedia, but that looks better. Entering Bullhead City produced KTOX from Needles.

Tonight I heard what sounded like "KRKO." It came out of nowhere, then promptly left aga, in. It wasn't KRKO, but it probably was KIKO near Phoenix. I need to record this mess. Occasionally some call letters burst out of the fog and I don't quite catch them.

KRKO is in Everett, Washington. A little to the north of Seattle. It's on 1380. But with 50KW, it shouldn't be impossible to hear at some point in Southern California. Especially if you try for them around sunrise or sunset on non-directional day pattern.

I don't know if you're familiar with SDRs. Software Defined Receivers. These are remote receivers accessible online that you can tune and listen to from any point in the world. Not all of them tune the AM band, but there's a network of a couple hundred that a lot of us on this board like to visit on a fairly regular basis. Especially during winter. One of the most popular is located above the arctic circle in Norway. On that one, KRKO has been widely heard via a polar signal path during the months long arctic night. I myself have snagged KRKO on the arctic SDR at least a half dozen times.

If you're not familar with the SDRs, I'd be happy to send you a link to an interactive map. Then you can just click on whichever ones you want to try. (Note that the Arctic SDR is typically offline during the summer months. There's nothing to hear during the months of 24-hour daylight anyway.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom