• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 1160

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clifton, New Jersey

Days: I get WVNJ "Relevant Radio" Oakland, NJ, which airs Catholic talk programming, with a decent signal.

Nights: It's usually WVNJ, but the signal is weak. I have received other stations depending on propagation. They include WJLK Lakewood Township, NJ, WYLL Chicago, IL, WSSV Mechanicville, NY, WSKW Skowhegan, ME and WCXI Fenton, MI.

That was when Radio Swan and later, Radio Americas, was on 1160 and 1165 aiming anti-Castro messages at Cuba. Widely heard and easily QSLed from the "Gibraltar Steamship Company" in downtown Miami.
I was unaware there was so much skulduggery on 1160 in those days. Now it’s over on 1180.

From NW San Antonio:

Day: It's KRDY on the "Relevant Radio" Catholic network, just five miles down the road from me.

Night: At night KRDY drops from 10 kW to 1 kW and a more directional pattern, and I can sometimes get a slight NW null and hear a weak KSL (when it's not covered by 1170 KFAQ's IBOC hash). But lately I'm not hearing KSL as much as I used to.

DX/Retro: I've heard KBDT in Highland Park, TX, just twice from San Antonio. The first time it was underneath KRDY back when (November 2020) the station still aired nostalgia music/shows; the second time was almost exactly a year later around sunrise when KRDY was briefly off air. On the latter occasion I also heard a weak KCTO in Cleveland, MO, briefly.

Back in January 2023 when I was at South Padre Island, TX, I logged the Caribbean Radio Lighthouse in Antigua one night near the beach - 2,342 miles away.

From Springfield, OH:

Day--WCVX Florence, KY, a semi-local, very reliable.
Nites--Can usually get WYLL, Chicago if I want it, though it is not as strong as some of the other 50kW stations. Other grabs in the last 3 months are WODY, Fieldale, VA and WYDU, Red Springs, NC.

This is a good frequency for me, little mash from adjacent frequencies, and I can typically null out WYLL if I need to. Once I can get a rotatable antenna, I will spend some time here at dusk and dawn. Would love to get KSL, would be my farthest grab yet. But best chance of that is dawn and I am just not a morning person!

Back in January 2023 when I was at South Padre Island, TX, I logged the Caribbean Radio Lighthouse in Antigua one night near the beach - 2,342 miles away.
Very cool. Probably a tough catch from inland, but would love to log them. I wonder if anyone else has heard them from this far west?

Eastern Iowa. Nothing in the daytime. Nighttime is usually WYLL. Used to hear KSL all the time years ago, but never hear it now. Occasionally hear KCTO from Cleveland, MO.

East SFBA:

Daytime: pretty much nothing, maybe some slop from 1170.

Night: KSL, usually almost like a local. The HD radio in my car can even partially decode the sidebands and display the call letters sometimes (makes it easy to ID!) Haven't gotten to hear any HD audio though, probably because the signal isn't strong enough for a good, consistent lock.

c

15 miles south of Orlando

WRLZ full time, when they are on the air. They have been silent a lot the past several months. Assuming they are on:

Days WRLZ, St. Cloud strong

Nights WRLZ good. For months they were clearly not reducing power at night, but lately, they have.

From Aberfoyle ON:
Most nights WCCS Homer City PA is the dominant station but not ever strong. Grey zone occasional fade-ins and outs include WCXI Fenton MI, WPIE Trumansburg NY and rarely WSKW Skowhegan ME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom