• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week 1140

A quite early 'first' logging from here in NE PA ws, of course, WRVA.
I never knew until recently that they were directional 24/7 ; they are always loud, here in PA or back in Queens. But they send a big lobe southeast into Norfolk, sort of a companion along that corridor. I know they're a secondary but solid daytime signal in Norfolk on a clock radio.
Well, at least they were, back in 1963, hi.

WXLZ from some place in Virginia was a taped SSS catch, also long ago.
So was WCJW from upstate NY.

I never knew WRVA was directional until the past several years. They are dependably loud here in central Ohio, largely because one of their major lobes is pointed right at us.
I've never heard it daytime visiting one of my best friends who used to live in Gaithersburg, Maryland. There have been nights I haven't heard it there either, but I did pull WRVA in on a great radio in a rental car several summers back in western Maryland while en route to DC. I think it was between Hancock and Hagerstown.

West Houston TX:

Daytime, semi local KYOK with gospel programs.

Sunset, KHFX Cleburne TX is often strong and mixing w/KYOK until the latter's sign off. I usually lose KHFX completely on night power, but they sometimes forget to switch. I've also heard WBXR Hazel Green AL and KCXL Liberty MO. Slightly later XEMR comes up and eventually takes over the frequency.

Night, XEMR is dominant. I have heard CHRB a couple of times

Sunrise, similar to sunset with XEMR on top until KYOK comes on.

West Houston TX:

Sunset, KHFX Cleburne TX is often strong and mixing w/KYOK until the latter's sign off. I usually lose KHFX completely on night power, but they sometimes forget to switch. I've also heard WBXR Hazel Green AL and KCXL Liberty MO. Slightly later XEMR comes up and eventually takes over the frequency.

Night, XEMR is dominant. I have heard CHRB a couple of times
Need to append this...tonight at sunset I heard 2 new Cubans, Radio Mayabeque (playing tropical music) and Radio Surco (playing soft ballads), both with XEMR nulled and //'ed both with their streams.

Clifton, New Jersey

Days: Nothing but splatter from WBBR "Bloomberg Eleven-Three-O" New York, NY.

Nights: It's WRVA "NewsRadio 1140 WRVA & 96.1 FM" Richmond, VA with some splatter from WBBR depending on the radio and the bandwidth setting. On 01/15/2024, I received CBI "CBC Radio One" Sydney, Nova Scotia. It was mixing with WRVA at the time and was the only time I ever received it.

In east central Iowa, nothing daytime. Nighttime is usually WRVA. Have also heard XEMR Monterrey fairly often, and a few times KXRB (the former KSOO) Sioux Falls. I've listened for CHRB from Alberta but never heard it.

From the southwest suburbs of Chicago ...

Nights, it's invariably WRVA Richmond, Va., dependable for decades.

Days, if I'm lucky I can get a hint of WVEL (nee WSIV) Pekin, Ill., a 5 kW omni, though I also caught it last June in the late evening, hammering on WRVA.

Bonuses: WVHF Kentwood, Mich., one winter day in 2020 in critical hours; WBXR Huntsville, Ala., on 7.5 kW critical hours power in 2021; KTLK Centerton, Ark., on 5 kW day power two minutes before midnight on a cold night in 2023 – all three of those needing the AN-200 loop aside the Sony ICF-2010. And, a couple of months ago during morning drive (and while driving), KXRB Sioux Falls, S.D., busting through the last of WRVA with 10 kW.

From NW San Antonio:

Day: Blank with slop from 1130 KTMR.

Sunset: XEMR in Monterrey and KHFX in Cleburne, TX, both Spanish-language Christian stations, start to appear amidst the splatter, with XEMR strongest most often. Occasionally I'll hear a weak signal from daytimer WBXR in Hazel Green, AL, if aim the radio E/W.

Night: Local KTMR signs off, but KWKH booms in on 1130, so there's still splatter. XEMR and KHFX are still there, with the former dominating even more since the latter is on night power. I can null them out fairly well by aiming the radio SE and occasionally hear weak signals from Cuban stations Radio Musical Nacional in Santa Clara and Radio Mayabeque in La Salud.

Sunrise: KYOK in Conroe, TX, mixes in with urban gospel music for a while when it signs on for the day.

DX/Retro: I've heard KNAB in Burlington, CO, with adults standards music a few times at sunrise. Also, I've heard CHRB in High River, Alberta, a couple of times briefly when aiming the radio NW/SE at night.

Last edited:
I used to work only a few miles from you then, off Gessner just south of Westheimer. Most of my DX'ing was from my house in League City, but I definitely scanned the AM dial from work over lunch many times.
I smoked my first joint, some 35 years ago, in a condo near Dairy Ashford and Memorial Drive, with a girl who was a senior at Stratford. Small world.

Do y'all remember the little Part 15 station that used to run on 92.5 out there long before there was such a thing as LPFM? This would've been in the early to mid 90's. Very broad mix of what we now call deep cuts. That was the girl's father's set up. You could sit in Town & Country's parking lot facing the West Belt and still hear it plain as day.

West central Georgia

Day - I frequently hear a weak signal from WBXR Hazel Green/Huntsville AL with religious programming during the day, even though this station is almost 200 miles away from me. According to Radio Locator its 15,000 watt daytime signal is directed on a north-south axis and reaches all the way from Nashville to Birmingham, but from my experience it actually extends much farther and to the southeast towards me. WBXR has a signal strength similar to 50,000 watt WLAC Nashville which also directs its signal on a north-south axis and can also be heard during the day at times here in Georgia.

Night - fair signal from WBXR during critical hours which I believe they define as most of the evening
almost never hear WRVA - very directional away from the southern US
often hear a weak Spanish language station which I assume to be XEMR in Monterrey

Back
Top Bottom