• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 1080

cyberdad

Staff member
40 miles NW of downtown Chicago...

1080 here days is ethnic rimshot WNWI from OakLawn, IL. 5kw from about ten miles south of the Chicago Loop.

Nights: 1080 drops to 2.6 kw with pattern aimed north.. Result here is a weaker signal but still on top of the channel. Which otherwise is relatively empty.

Retro: Before WNWI came on. A weak and fade prone KRLD was most common at night. Occasionally WTIC came in, but not very often. WTIC was in a little more often...which isn't saying much,,,around sunrise. More commonly, at sunrise WOAP from Owosso Michigan came in.

Denver, CO -

Daytime: Spillover from 50 kw KMXA at 1090.

Nighttime: Depends on whether KMXA cuts its power. (More on that when 1090 comes up for discussion.) When the channel is not getting as much spillover from KMXA, KRLD is usually what's coming in.

Retro: Hasn't been a very interesting channel for me. In the Midwest, KRLD dominated; in the Bay Area, KNX and XERPS chewed into the channel from opposite sides.

From the southwest suburbs of Chicago ...

Originally, 1080 was occupied days by WNWI Valparaiso, Ind., a 250-watt daytimer. Nights were a scrap between WTIC Hartford and KRLD Dallas, the former coming in early and the latter taking over, or trying to, later, each with an unfavorable but not impossible pattern for Chicago. Once upon a time in came WKLO Louisville, 1 kw fighting the two 50 kw stations.

Then Birach Broadcasting bought WNWI, moved it to south suburban Riverdale, licensed it to Oak Lawn, expanded to 24/7 hours, and the fun went away. I'm too close to do anything but grind my teeth. Tanks for nuttin!

East-central Iowa: nothing daytime. Nights are usually KRLD, or slop. Most often KRLD. Never been able to hear WTIC from here. I've heard KYMN from Northfield, MN, on occasion as well as WNWI, probably just before sunset or after sunrise.

Rochester NY: daytime is a very fringe WUFO from Buffalo (weaker since it changed tower sites a few weeks ago), WTIC dominant at night.

Boise Idaho
Day nothing.
Night:
Little bit of KVNI Couer D'Alene ID and KFXX Portland.
KVNI occasionally forgets the night DA & power when there's sports.
KRLD come up to listenable levels occasionally.
No sign of KSCO after they got slapped by the FCC.

Hi Cyberdad---wasn't expecting to see you, hope all went well with the surgery.

East Tennessee---days, nothing. Sunset, nights. WKJK, Louisville/ is pointed right at us. WTIC of course.

Retro/other: Not much different but I did work at the now-defunct WMVR, Sidney, OH, with a super-tight pattern which meant being able to see the towers to the west and not hear the station. It was protecting WIBC with the power going North and East, with pre-sunrise authorization tied to WTIC. Towers blew down in a tornado and were never rebuilt, but the FM is still reasonably successful.

kw - Melbourne FL

1080 - WHOO - Winter Park - Relevant Radio - Catholic - 2023 - fair signal in the daytime

1080 - CMCH - Villa Maria - Radio Cadena Habana - Spanish - 2016

1080 - KRLD - Dallas TX ---- News, talk - 2016

Great to see you there at the FOTW helm, Cyberdad. That 'on any given Sunday' asterisk proves true again. Terrific to read that!
1080 has treated me pretty well here in NE PA, with more loggings than back in Queens near JFK Int'l (7 here, just 6 there). And both Then and Now without any 'midday' signals.
SSS times here have brang in WRES KY, WKBY VA,, WUFO Buffalo, plus North Carolinianisms WKGX and WKKE. All are file-taped IDs except for WUFO.

It's WTIC at night and through the wee hours. I used to kid the people at AAA that, if I sent my Traveler's payment directly to WTIC it might be cheaper. But I hear Audacy owns them lately. So I'll stick with the middleman.
March 18 2001 was a publicized overnight when WTIC was scheduled to be off for some testing reason, and KRLD positively boomed in here in the absence. That night a Long Island radio pal caught their network news so clearly that he thought it was WTIC and tuned out before an ID. (On a second such identical occasion a few years later, KRLD was there but not nearly as clear).
1080 is the first freq through this Interesting trip through these ten 'clear' channels with just U.S loggings ; no Canadians or other countries IDed on them yet. Same 'domestic tranquility' as back in Queens.
Once again, great to've 'seen' you navigating the FOTW today, Cyberdad! Stay the course, y'hear ?

Wilmington Delaware

Days - Nothing

Nights - WTIC Hartford CT at varying strength. Some nights as strong as WBZ, other nights much weaker. No other stations heard.
Easy to identify in summer with them being a member of the Boston Red Sox radio network.

Back
Top Bottom