• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week 1000

cyberdad

Staff member
40 miles northwest of downtown Chicago....

Days: Local blowtorch WMVP with a good signal, but not quite as strong as the other Chicago 50kw non-directional 50kw non-directional signals.

Nights: WMVP still good, but slightly weaker than daytime. I believe SC told me their night pattern sends around 25-30kw in my direction. Once in a great while....mosty in winter...I,ve been able to null WMVP and hear XEOY from Mexico City.

Other Location, On the Gulf near Pensacola at night, XEOY is usually on top. WMVP fairly common underneath and sometimes taking over.

Retro: At my college location in southeast Iowa, then WCFL was audible, but not comfortably listenable 24/7. The problem daytime was splatter from now-defunct WCAZ (990) daytime. At night the issue was WCAZ's frequent fades and XEOy overnight. Sometimes KTOK from Oklahoma City would also sneak in.

Last edited:
Tyler TX:

Nothing during the days. This was once home to country icon Jim Reeves' KGRI in nearby Henderson. KGRI was surrendered way back when, around 1985.

At night it's usually a pretty good signal from talk radio outlet 1000 KTOK from OKC. I hear Spanish is underneath KTOK, at times, but have never been able to decipher whether it is Matamoros or Nuevo Laredo.

Denver, CO - Too close to local 990 KXKS for comfort.

Former Oakland, CA - KOMO/KNWN Seattle, consistently. This station has recently been discussed in some detail over on the Seattle forum due to the evisceration of its news department by a new owner. Before that, it was a well-run all-news station, which made it stand out on the dial. Its future does not appear bright, sorry to say.

Retro - Quite a few things from mid-Missouri in the 1980s, even though 1000 was generally a very messy frequency there:
  • Sign-off of WVOV Huntsville, AL in January 1985. It was 10,000 watts at the time; now it's WJDL with 1,100 watts.
  • What was then WCFL Chicago during critical hours in November 1980. Never a presence at night.
  • KTOK Oklahoma City, nighttime, in September 1984.
  • KXRB Sioux Falls, SD, critical hours, in November 1980. Now KSOO, still 10,000 watts daytime.
  • XEOY Mexico City, just before midnight in January 1982.
  • Around 11 pm, July 11, 1979, a station from Medellín, Colombia. Yes, I heard Colombia in Columbia.

East Tennessee: For the most part splatter from 990 WNML, with WMVP sneaking through at night.
Retro/other: WCFL was the weaker of the 2 Chicago AM top 40s in Western Ohio but not by much.

Former Oakland, CA - KOMO/KNWN Seattle, consistently. This station has recently been discussed in some detail over on the Seattle forum due to the evisceration of its news department by a new owner. Before that, it was a well-run all-news station, which made it stand out on the dial. Its future does not appear bright, sorry to say.
Just sad. Hatewhemthis stuff happens. Including ditching legendary call letter. In my decades od travel up and down the west coast KOMO was alwys an easy mighttime catch and a good listen.

From the southwest suburbs of Chicago ...

WCFL / WLUP / WMVP from its neighborhood transmission site in Downers Grove. Back in the days when it had a Sunday night silent period, tried for KOMO and never got it. As the story goes, KOMO signed off at the same time.

The other catch on 1000 was Radio Nacional, HJHF Manizales, Colombia, with 10 kW on a late Sunday night. Have never heard anything else on 1000, except ... WMVP when it was transmitting from Tinley Park, diplexing with WLS during the rebuild of the Downers Grove site.

Just sad. Hatewhemthis stuff happens. Including ditching legendary call letter. In my decades od travel up and down the west coast KOMO was alwys an easy mighttime catch and a good listen.
Interesting...for me at least...is that NWN is the stock ticker symbol for my last client before I retired. It's a terrific company with some of the best people I've ever worked with. So the "KNWN" call letters give me a kind of mental whiplash.

"AM 1000 KOMO Seattle" is burned into my mind.
Boise ID.
Daytime mornings & afternoons KNWN is often in most of the day in winter.
Not hardly there at night.
Have heard (KXRB) KSOO in the morning before sunrise. The other 1000 stations out west also show up occasionally.

Back in the quietude, the days had downstate daylighter Carlisle PA (WIOO) atop. Logged originally here in the mid 1990's on 1000 watts omni, they're listed now by Radio-Locator as 15.000 watts omni. If true, they should be a bag of potato chips for folks west of here during twilight times. On their old 1000 omni watts they could also be a SSS regular back in Queens, 1010 WINS notwithstanding.
When WRNJ Hackettstown NJ was on 1000 kHz they were a fairly easy null job to cadge here, too, mid 90's, weaker than WIOO at a directional 250 watts. Word back then was that the owners put WRNJ on the dial just for the owners of WINS 1010 to buy them out so that WINS could send a bit more west. (WRNJ now resides on 1510 -- and as an Oldies station showed up once as the #10 station in the Allentown PA ratings.)
CKBW Bridgewater Nova Scotia, alone, somehow popped in here for an ID one night . But the huge WMVP Chicago is dominant most often when it's pitch dark out. With a lot of their volts and ohms sent our way 24/7, their seeming round-the-clock PBP and sound-clip highlight screaming can make for a genuine reference 'pilot' point for frequency determination on all radios.

Near north Chicago suburbs days and nights all WMVP strong. When out west KNWN takes over.
I’ve heard it in Hawaii as well. Other stations heard at home are KTOK and XEOY.

Detroit, MI suburbs:

Days: Empty, occasional splatter from WDEO. Sometimes weak WMVP in the winter months. Also caught WCCD Parma, OH once several years ago.

Nights: Strong WMVP, usually. Several days ago I heard a strong spanish-language signal on the frequency from the car. Assumed it was XEOY, however their webstream didn't match. I never was able to ID it.

Never a peep from KTOK here. Of course their pattern doesn't favor me for obvious reasons.

Wilmington Delaware

Days - Weak signal from WIOO Carlisle PA. Some splatter from WNTP Philadelphia on 990.

Nights - Always WMVP with varying signal strength. Some nights at armchair level and other nights weaker.

Retro - Many pleasant memories of listening to WCFL at night back in the 60's and 70's in West Chester PA.

Here in Rochester NY, it's mostly HD hash from local WDCX 990, especially by day, but WLNL (ex-WIQT) 1000 Horseheads, 80 miles south of here near Elmira, was the pre-HD usual in the day.

It's pretty much all Chicago after dark, once you null WDCX, which isn't hard - it's only 2500 watts and its main east-west lobe runs north of me.

KNWN Seattle (formerly KOMO.) A few weeks ago, I heard something that could have been WMVP faintly underneath in Sedro-Woolley, WA (it was running an ESPN feed and no other 24/7 full power station on 1000 kHz AFAIK has that.)

In east-central Iowa: WMVP 24/7 but it's rather weak during the day, sometimes inaudible. Night the signal is a bit stronger. I don't get much in the way of interference, or anything else on 1000. Never picked up KOMO or its successor, for example. I believe I have heard XEOY from Mexico City from somewhere in my region, but don't remember if I have heard it from my home.

40 miles northwest of downtown Chicago....

Days: Local blowtorch WMVP with a good signal, but not quite as strong as the other Chicago 50kw non-directional 50kw non-directional signals.

Nights: WMVP still good, but slightly weaker than daytime. I believe SC told me their night pattern sends around 25-30kw in my direction. Once in a great while....mosty in winter...I,ve been able to null WMVP and hear XEOY from Mexico City.

Other Location, On the Gulf near Pensacola at night, XEOY is usually on top. WMVP fairly common underneath and sometimes taking over.

Retro: At my college location in southeast Iowa, then WCFL was audible, but not comfortably listenable 24/7. The problem daytime was splatter from now-defunct WCAZ (990) daytime. At night the issue was WCAZ's frequent fades and XEOy overnight. Sometimes KTOK from Oklahoma City would also sneak in.
Within 300 miles or so, high angle radiation off the back of the pattern acts like the towers are closer together, and the pattern gradually approaches the pattern perpendicular to the towers, which explains the Night service in Iowa. I'm surprised that WWKB 1520 doesn't come in better in Michigan more for that reason, but then again, there have been as many as three 1520s operating at night near Michigan.

At night it's usually a pretty good signal from talk radio outlet 1000 KTOK from OKC. I hear Spanish is underneath KTOK, at times, but have never been able to decipher whether it is Matamoros or Nuevo Laredo.
Your Spanish station is probably XEOY. The latest IRCA Mexican Log doesn't show any stations on 1000 in Matamoros or Nuevo Laredo. They're currently simulcasting an FM "Stereo Cien", playing English language classic hits (lots of 80's) with Spanish language DJ's.

Here in west Houston, daytime is nothing but splatter from local KLAT 1010. It never really goes away, but starting at sunset other things can be heard.

At sunset the aforementioned XEOY starts to come through. I've also heard KTOK, WYBT (oldies from Blountstown FL, maybe on past their sign off time), and KKIM (religion from Albuquerque). At night, XEOY is on top, sometimes with KTOK. At sunrise, XEOY still on top, but WYBT can be heard at their sign on and KTOK is usually in there.

In central Ohio, nothing by day and all WMVP at night, thanks to both the frequency and directional boost. I do not expect that to change with the new tower farm when it goes active.
WMVP is often coming in an hour or more before sunset. I've heard it as early as 3 p.m. in December and January. I would say it's the first Chicago signal in, but WVON might have something to say about that.

Back
Top Bottom