• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Alternative Internet Radio Stations

Curious to see what results I get from this from you guys. I want to know what the best alternative rock station is on the internet. The goal is to listen to it via tunein or something on my phone through my car speakers.

Here is what I'm looking for:

1- It's got to be play the newest singles first.
2- Introduce me to a few new bands but I'm wanting alternative and not straight out indie.
3- Little 90s won't hurt but don't forget about the early 2k hits from artist like The White Stripes, The Strokes, Interpol, etc.
4- large playlist
5- I'm not against some active rock mixed in but like my point number 2, I want alternative rock and not indie or active but won't have an issue with some mixed in.

So far, for the past year, the station that best fits this description is Got Radio's Alternative channel that can be listened through Tunein. The station is so good that I have actually contacted the PD for the format and congratulated him on a job well done. Local alternative station in town would play new singles about a week after this station did, plus, they include some 90s and early 2k stuff. You won't hear new wave though.

Any other recommendations?

acheron82, I've not posted my link before but since you asked for suggestions, I'll throw out the station I play with. There's very little active rock (no Three Days Grace, Trapt, Shinedown, etc.). I try to stay on top of things for new adds but rotate plenty of hits for familiarity (AWOLNATION, White Stripes, Black Keys, etc).

So a few examples of adds the past few weeks:
Atlas Genius - If So
Fitz & the Tantrums - Out of My League
The Postal Service - A Tattered Line of String
Cold War Kids - Miracle Mile
Fall Out Boy - My Songs Know What You Did...
Two Door Cinema Club - Sun
Tegan & Sara - Goodbye, Goodbye
The1975 - Sex
Blondfire - Waves
Cayucus - High School Lover
Tame Impala - Feels Like We Only...
Imagine Dragons - Demons

This seems to work. It stays just ahead of the curve and by the time they're peaking on the charts, they've been in recurrent several weeks. I wouldn't have gotten away with being quite this aggressive with adds back in this station's terrestrial days. There are 90s in rotation but they're controlled so that, in a perfect world, there's quite a bit of separation. I try to strike a balance between new stuff to keep it interesting with enough familiar recurrents, gold and "oh wow" songs to keep people listening.

Here's the link (it's available on TuneIn):

www.95xonline.com

I will give it a whirl. Thanks for your link. If you get a chance, check out Alternative Rock via Got Radio. You can either go directly to Got Radio website online or you can find it on tunein. Give it a listen when you have an hour or so. Love to hear your critique.

I like to stream the former New Rock 101.9 NY. It plays a decent amount of stuff that I have yet to hear on other Alternative stations, but it meets all of your points, though points #1 and #3 may be lacking a little bit. I'm glad Merlin is still working with this station and keeping it fresh. I'll have to check out the Got Radio site.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom