• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

All Bed Bath and Beyond and buybuy BABY stores begin liquidation and shut down

There is a shopping plaza in the nearby city which at one time contained:

- Bed Bath & Beyond
- Sleep Outfitters
- Toys R Us
- Marshall's
- David's Bridal
- a regional pizza arcade

Sleep Outfitters and Toys R Us have closed their chains altogether. Bed Bath & Beyond probably has 6-8 weeks left. David's Bridal declared bankruptcy earlier this month and is likely to liquidate unless a white knight turns up.
Marshall's moved to a new building.

Just 5 years ago that plaza was 100% occupied. By the end of summer, it might only house a pizza joint.

- Bed Bath & Beyond
- Sleep Outfitters
- Toys R Us
- Marshall's
- David's Bridal

Sleep Outfitters and Toys R Us have closed their chains altogether. Bed Bath & Beyond probably has 6-8 weeks left. David's Bridal declared bankruptcy earlier this month and is likely to liquidate unless a white knight turns up.

Just 5 years ago that plaza was 100% occupied. By the end of summer, it might only house a pizza joint.

Meanwhile, Amazon, FedEx and UPS vans zip busily around the town, bringing to doorsteps all the things that used to be in those stores ... and beyond.

- Bed Bath & Beyond
- Sleep Outfitters
- Toys R Us
- Marshall's
- David's Bridal

The abandonment of brick and mortar stores has been occurring for some years, and has quite obviously been sped along by the rise of internet commerce. I'm not sure if it's still active, but there was a site called deadmalls.com which tracked all the once-busy and bustling shopping malls that became abandoned ghost towns, especially when larger retailers that once reliably served as "anchor stores" began to close down in larger numbers....K-Mart, JC Penney, Sears, Macy's and similar.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, Amazon, FedEx and UPS vans zip busily around the town, bringing to doorsteps all the things that used to be in those stores ... and beyond.
Exactly. While some people want to go to traditional malls to see and touch things before they buy, try them on, check the fit, etc. for others, that's simply no longer a necessity, especially with so many online retailers having liberal return policies where they'll even pay the costs of return postage - so there truly is no risk. I once worked with a director who had a hectic and busy work schedule, plus 2 kids and simply didn't have much time for shopping at brick and mortar stores. Instead she'd put her kids to bed, go sit in her bath tub with a glass of wine and her iPad. She'd order 5 outfits. If 2 arrived and looked as they did in the photo, they fit well and she liked them, while 3 were not her cup of tea, she'd keep the 2 she liked, the retailer would send her a pre-paid label for the stuff she didn't want, she'd drop it by the mailroom at work and get a speedy refund. She felt that type of shopping worked best for her situation and life schedule.

Sorry to see Bed Bath & Beyond go. They had great merchandise.
While I bought plenty of stuff there and I'll miss their stores for sure, my primary issue was that both Bed, Bath & Beyond and buybuy BABY could be pricey. Most times I went to Bed Bath and Beyond was when I had one of the 20% off coupons they tended to distribute fairly often, and I'd also go there sometimes after the holidays when they usually had a lot of merchandise left over from the Christmas season and would deeply slash prices to try and get rid of it all quickly. A few years ago I attended a baby shower for a co-worker who had a gift registry at buybuy BABY. IMO their prices were out of line vs. similar products at other retailers.

The abandonment of brick and mortar stores has been occurring for some years, and has quite obviously been sped along by the rise of internet commerce. I'm not sure if it's still active, but there was a site called deadmalls.com which tracked all the once-busy and bustling shopping malls that became abandoned ghost towns, especially when larger retailers that once reliably served as "anchor stores" began to close down in larger numbers....K-Mart, JC Penney, Sears, Macy's and similar.
The last time I looked at deadmalls.com It was out of date pretty bad. I've been watching more of videos on YouTube from places like Ace's Adventures and Dan Bell that are more up-to-date On what malls and stores have closed.

The Container Store will accept Bed Bath & Beyond coupons through May​

On the heels of Bed Bath and Beyond filing for bankruptcy and planning to close all of its stores, The Container Store has good news for customers with excess blue coupons.

Through the end of May, The Container Store will accept the commonly seen coupons from its home organization competitor.

When they started selling just their own brands, we quit going entirely. Now there is nothing they had that I can't find with more variety of brands and prices on Amazon. Heck, even Walmart has the same stuff online, but cheaper!

When they started selling just their own brands, we quit going entirely. Now there is nothing they had that I can't find with more variety of brands and prices on Amazon. Heck, even Walmart has the same stuff online, but cheaper!
These days it's adopt and push ecom or you will die out. Even then it's hard to compete with the likes of Amazon, Target, Walmart and others. Major retailers that haven't are paying the price and are dying out.

Bed bath and beyond fell into this category.

Bed Bath and Beyond spent all their money trying to manipulate their stock price. Nearly $12B in dumb stock buyback schemes they engaged in for years.

So many of these failures are driven by typical Wall Street/MBA-culture greed where those guys focus on their personal wealth instead of on their customers.

I'm not really sorry to see Bed Bath and Beyond go, considering what led to it. As they say, karma's a b*tch.

The only thing I bought at BB and B was a movie on the defunct HD-DVD format shortly after it was discontinued by Toshiba, I guess that would be in the Beyond category.

Kirk Bayne

Bed Bath and Beyond spent all their money trying to manipulate their stock price. Nearly $12B in dumb stock buyback schemes they engaged in for years.
Actually, a lot of investors approve of stock buybacks as it reduced dilution and increases the equity of underlying and remaining shares.
So many of these failures are driven by typical Wall Street/MBA-culture greed where those guys focus on their personal wealth instead of on their customers.
Radio's customers are advertisers. Nearly everyone I know in radio management understands that the business is about providing large audiences so they can send a sales message.

These days it's adopt and push ecom or you will die out. Even then it's hard to compete with the likes of Amazon, Target, Walmart and others. Major retailers that haven't are paying the price and are dying out.

Bed bath and beyond fell into this category.
Not only that, but even before e-commerce took off in a huge way and most all shopping was done at "stores", a lesson I was taught as a child is that, in most (maybe not all) cases when you go to a specialty store that only features one thing - kitchen accessories, hardware, home decor, bedding, baby supplies, toys, what have you - in most cases they charge at least a bit of a premium vs. more "general" stores like Walmart and Target for similar items. In Bed Bath and Beyond's case, even the items they sold like toiletries, personal items and even snack foods were more expensive than the CVS just 2 doors away. I'm not "cheap" by any means, but if I can get the same bedding set for $50 from the internet with free shipping vs. paying $90 for something nearly identical at Bed Bath and Beyond, for me the logical choice is to buy the same thing at 1/2 price.

From that article:

"Share repurchases are a way for companies to return cash to shareholders indirectly, without them having to pay taxes as they would on a stock dividend. The idea is that by reducing the number of shares outstanding, each remaining share of stock in the hands of investors becomes more valuable."

This thought works if the market is stable. If, for example, the process started by Bed, Bath & Beyond in 2004, hit against the market semi-crash in the recession about 4 years later, they had overpaid by about 200% for the buy-backs, making the ROI on the investment in its own shares very negative.

But over time, in companies with good history and a good outlook, this is a relatively sound practice to improve the true equity behind each share. Unfortunately, the strange economic policies in effect today include taxing buy-backs because they were perceived to be a way of creating "income" for shareholders that was not taxable. This is sort of like the concept of "Warren/Sanders and Friends" to tax the value of one's unrealized investment gains despite the fact that such amounts are unrealized and not liquid.

That's true, but the only thing I would add; is I thought BB&B stores became too cluttered with just stuff. Trying to find any particular item was a challenge. End caps full of 'As Seen On TV' branded-stuff cheapened the appearance. I think in the end, they went too far into the Beyond part.

Back
Top Bottom