• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Advertising Stupidity

Tonight I witnessed another real piece of stupidity by our astute TV marketing suits.

I was watching an old Western movie on Grit when, almost back to back, three commercials aired (for three different junk products) by "Bulbhead". In each case the ending message was "you better call now because <this product> is or will be discontinued shortly due to supply shortages".

Not only are these products overpriced cr*p but the advertisers are using the identical scare tactic AND ARE AIRING THE COMMERCIALS VIRTUALLY BACK TO BACK! It would take only a moron to ignore the similarity between these and that alone should drive potential buyers away. Oh, and every product was advertised at $19.99 - another dead giveaway.

Unbelievable!

Tonight I witnessed another real piece of stupidity by our astute TV marketing suits.

I was watching an old Western movie on Grit when, almost back to back, three commercials aired (for three different junk products) by "Bulbhead". In each case the ending message was "you better call now because <this product> is or will be discontinued shortly due to supply shortages".

Not only are these products overpriced cr*p but the advertisers are using the identical scare tactic AND ARE AIRING THE COMMERCIALS VIRTUALLY BACK TO BACK! It would take only a moron to ignore the similarity between these and that alone should drive potential buyers away. Oh, and every product was advertised at $19.99 - another dead giveaway.

Unbelievable!
You are attributing far too much logic, focus and attention to the viewing of ads. The average person will not see what your analytical mind saw instantly.

Unbelievable!
I posted something about this in the "Infomercials" discussion thread over the weekend, and I've seen at least another one since. If I'm not mistaken, the commercials I saw also had the "Bulbhead" logo displayed immediately after they aired as well, so it must be their latest tactic to try and motivate people who might be undecided about ordering their product to "grab 'em before they're gone!!" :)

Last edited:
You are attributing far too much logic, focus and attention to the viewing of ads. The average person will not see what your analytical mind saw instantly.
Now, we have a Tsunami of ads for Camp Lejeune. "If you or any distant relative were ever within a 1000 miles of Camp Lejeune, you may be entitled to a windfall of riches"

People only hear the parts of ads they want to hear. The fine print is irrelevant. Most Advertising is based on puffery...

The Camp Lejeune ads are everywhere because lawyers want their share of the action. The lawsuit was huge and so is the payoff for law firms. Perfect example of legal system greed gone amok. Oh, and by the way it isn’t just lawyer greed, tv sales managers are of course reeling in profits. As Michael Douglas once said “greed is good”.

If the ads run two minutes or more, they're too good to be true.

Actually, there were five of those commercials in total for a movie lasting 1:20. I don't see how anyone with their eyes open could miss the similarity. If not, it boggles my mind to think there are so many gullible and just dumb people out there.

I was a computer programmer most of my working life so logic is my trade.

Two minutes isn’t bad. If ads run 3 minutes or more it becomes an informercial. Instant tune out for me.

Last edited:
This buy 2 is a new twist on their old tried and true. I think these are PI spots anyway, so aired at will by stations that prefer a chance to earn so cash versus unsold inventory.

They are just using the scarcity tactic. I'm weird I enjoy watching those as seen on tv products infomercials and tv spots. I also like watching videos where people review them.

The Camp Lejune ones are bad though. I even got a bunch of email spam for that lawsuit.

Now, we have a Tsunami of ads for Camp Lejeune. "If you or any distant relative were ever within a 1000 miles of Camp Lejeune, you may be entitled to a windfall of riches"

"If you, a family member, a friend, or a total stranger lived within one hundred light years of Camp Lejeune anytime between One Million Years, B.C., and December 31st, 5621, you can get rich and be financially set for the rest of your life by joining our lawsuit. Of course, the lawyers sponsoring this message will get so rich that their great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandchildren will be financially set for the rest of their lives..."

"If you, a family member, a friend, or a total stranger lived within one hundred light years of Camp Lejeune anytime between One Million Years, B.C., and December 31st, 5621, you can get rich and be financially set for the rest of your life by joining our lawsuit. Of course, the lawyers sponsoring this message will get so rich that their great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandchildren will be financially set for the rest of their lives..."
You'll get the check for $1.39

Well I only count two cables that run it. But the bulk programming sends tremendous repetition. I guess this show is perhaps number one in syndication.

I hear that three gentlemen named Fred Flintstone, George Jetson, and James T. Kirk are filing claims. :ROFLMAO:

Slimy lawyers want to be billionaires why those wanting the money will just get scraps not millions from the Camp LeJeune lawsuit. Former Michigan AG Mike Cox has his own law firm although haven't seen it in a while about Camp LeJeune ad's.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom