• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Adventurous Alt. Rocker 92/9 FM KRXF Now Streaming

Thanks to the earlier heads-up in the Favorite Stations thread about 92/9 FM KRXF in Bend Oregon. As of today at Noon Oregon time they are streaming live! http://www.929online.com The slogan is "Local. Independent. And Some Bands You've Never Heard Of. Why Have Limits?"

Having never been to the area to listen to this station before, it's sounding really good - they are banging out some NOFX right now, never a bad thing :)

Looks like they're owned by the same company that owns "94/9" in San Diego? They have almost the same exact logo and website setup lol. http://www.fm949sd.com/ Looked at the currents looks good, but right now they're playing a pretty over played song, "Sex On Fire" by Kings of Leon. They seem cool though, I'll give them a try. I do like 94/9 so if they're anything like them then they are a decent station.

Upon further listening, 92/9 KRXF is very gold-based - some interesting selections though. If I'm not mistaken it is no relation to 94/9 other than similar name/logo.

WBIMDJ said:
I do like 94/9.

Agreed. IMO San Diego's FM 94/9 is consistently the best commercial alt. rock station since Indie 103.1 (terrestrial) and REV 105.

This station seems to have tightened things up a bit from the 2010 postings here and may be playing more currents than before. It is basically a great rock and roll radio station. Heard tonight amongst some cool currents: AC/DC "Have a Drink on Me", Fishbone "Party at Ground Zero", Ozzy Ozbourne "Crazy Train", Geggy Tah "Whoever You Are", Garbage "Only Happy When it Rains" alongside deep cuts from David Bowie and the Ramones.

I love Spotify, but love even more the utter unpredictability of good old fashioned radio.

THIS is what alternative radio was SUPPOSED to be about in the first place, not the repetitive stuff you hear everywhere else. FM 92.9 is not afraid to "break the rules" and play tracks "outside of the format" and just be a f*****g rock station :p And the station is not afraid to rock, unlike some alt. rockers around today. Now playing, "Walk" by Foo Fighters. Check the station out if you like alt. rock, you will like it.

IMO REV 105/Minneapolis had it right in the Mid 1990s by mixing the above formula with Soul/Metal/Electronic/Indie/Hard Rock/You-name-it/Punk/New Wave/Classic Rock/etc. etc. etc. but this may be the next best thing since then on ANY radio medium, terrestrial or internet.

WBIMDJ said:
Looks like they're owned by the same company that owns "94/9" in San Diego? They have almost the same exact logo and website setup lol. http://www.fm949sd.com/ Looked at the currents looks good, but right now they're playing a pretty over played song, "Sex On Fire" by Kings of Leon. They seem cool though, I'll give them a try. I do like 94/9 so if they're anything like them then they are a decent station.

They use a similar logo and that's it. KBZT is owned by Lincoln Financial. KRFX is locally-owned.

Saladressing said:
This station seems to have tightened things up a bit from the 2010 postings here and may be playing more currents than before. It is basically a great rock and roll radio station. Heard tonight amongst some cool currents: AC/DC "Have a Drink on Me", Fishbone "Party at Ground Zero", Ozzy Ozbourne "Crazy Train", Geggy Tah "Whoever You Are", Garbage "Only Happy When it Rains" alongside deep cuts from David Bowie and the Ramones.

I love Spotify, but love even more the utter unpredictability of good old fashioned radio.

THIS is what alternative radio was SUPPOSED to be about in the first place, not the repetitive stuff you hear everywhere else. FM 92.9 is not afraid to "break the rules" and play tracks "outside of the format" and just be a f*****g rock station :p And the station is not afraid to rock, unlike some alt. rockers around today. Now playing, "Walk" by Foo Fighters. Check the station out if you like alt. rock, you will like it.

IMO REV 105/Minneapolis had it right in the Mid 1990s by mixing the above formula with Soul/Metal/Electronic/Indie/Hard Rock/You-name-it/Punk/New Wave/Classic Rock/etc. etc. etc. but this may be the next best thing since then on ANY radio medium, terrestrial or internet.

The Current in Minneapolis looks essentially to be a somewhat resurrected, though slightly tamer version of REV105 (which was an awesome station, IMO). They have even employed some of the same people that worked there. Granted, it's a non-com owned by Minnesota Public Radio and they report as AAA, but they air a heavy amount of alt-rock, along with classic rock (heard the 20 minute album version of Pink Floyd's "Echoes" a few weeks ago), hip-hop, reggae, electronic and other genres. Ratings are actually pretty decent (partly thanks to its 100,000 watt signal compared to REV's three low-powered rimshots), and MPR gives them tons of support.

Many wonder why the Twin Cities doesn't have a full-fledged mainstream alt-rock station anymore, given that The Edge had huge ratings back in the day, but The Current is better than what passes for the all-RHCP approach that passes for that format these days.

The Current is definitely a supercool musically diverse Noncommercial AAA. It's sort of the "Rev 105 of AAAs." It is way tamer than Rev in the sense that Rev was off its rocker (in a good way), playing metal/punk/soft acoustic female stuff/anything. Basically Rev didn't say "oh that song is out of our format, we won't play it," although the main focus was always alternative rock. That's what led to them playing acts such as Prong, Circle Jerks, old Metallica, Patsy Cline, early Chemical Bros. etc.

On further listening it appears 92/9 is still as gold-based as always, but still amazing with reggae, funk music (George Clinton!), industrial, classic country, ska, electronic music, dance, punk rock and more amongst cool alt. titles. Too bad they don't play more currents tho. Basically is a Classic Alternative station that plays a slight sprinkling of new songs here and there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom