• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Active Rock/Alternative Rock = 1 station??

I don't deny it: the only female acts I remember KRock playing in my high school days were Evanescence and The Donnas. WRXP played female acts more frequently, except that 99% of the time, it was either Joan Jett or the Pretenders. Is that any better? While it's true that a lot of rock stations could use more female artists, to be honest, I don't think of the artist's gender when I turn on the radio: I just want the song to be good. And personally, I find the programming of WEMP to be more sexist than a station that plays 100% male artists. Though for what it's worth, WRRF from Philly seems to do the best job of representing women out of all the rock stations I know.

Jersey Maiden said:
I don't deny it: the only female acts I remember KRock playing in my high school days were Evanescence and The Donnas. WRXP played female acts more frequently, except that 99% of the time, it was either Joan Jett or the Pretenders. Is that any better? While it's true that a lot of rock stations could use more female artists, to be honest, I don't think of the artist's gender when I turn on the radio: I just want the song to be good. And personally, I find the programming of WEMP to be more sexist than a station that plays 100% male artists. Though for what it's worth, WRRF from Philly seems to do the best job of representing women out of all the rock stations I know.

How many women are on the Alternative chart though? Probably just Evanescence, and whoever sings lead for The Naked And Famous

The one thing I will say for Active Rock stations is that at least they haven't forgotten that rock music is traditionally all about bands with (electric) guitars. The alt. stations have become so feminized over the last decade or so that it is next to impossible to listen. Mind you, I LOVE female-fronted bands and artists however the preponderance of all of the male and female led light indie folk acts has just about driven me away from having any interest at all in the format at the moment.

Saladressing said:
The one thing I will say for Active Rock stations is that at least they haven't forgotten that rock music is traditionally all about bands with (electric) guitars. The alt. stations have become so feminized over the last decade or so that it is next to impossible to listen. Mind you, I LOVE female-fronted bands and artists however the preponderance of all of the male and female led light indie folk acts has just about driven me away from having any interest at all in the format at the moment.

I feel the same way. You may hear a *little* alt-folk on my station, but not a lot, and really, it has to move to get an add.

I miss the "good old days" of Alternative, when it stood less for being an alternative rock station, but in playing what was "alternative" versus "mainstream". I like pop music, but sometimes I want to hear things that won't ever get played on top 40 and alternative was good for hearing everything from grunge to new wave to singer-songwriters to electronic rock acts to reggae and so on. Now its just the same 5 artists over and over, and a ton of nostalgia for the 90s. In my opinion, this will ultimately break the format. There simply aren't enough listeners for this type of niche format. The same thing goes for active rock and AAA stations, too. The changing demographics in this country, especially amongst youth, should dictate that there has to be an evolution of these formats, or they will simply die off.

There is plenty of music today that should be considered "alternative" and get airplay on alternative stations, but no one wants to stand up and play it in today's PPM environment.

I know I'm way late to the party (got the warning in red ;D), but my noncom station, WRSG, is now adding alternative music to air during the times the kiddos are on the buses, plus immediately before any home basketball games we air. "DJ Mike," a regular poster on other boards, now does two one-hour shows for us weekly, and he does a great job. I have middle-school broadcasters that I use as sounding boards when previewing alternative music as well. Since most commercial stations will shy away from this, it becomes a perfect opportunity for US.

BTW, feel free to PM me concerning some great songs that won't cause callers to inundate the phone lines with complaints of inappropriate lyrics. I'll have my kids download the lyrics to present as EXHIBIT A in case that happens. ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom