• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AAA in 2005/2006

Radiogeek500

Inactive
Inactive User
Steady as she goes this year. Of course you gained one in Denver as 102.3 moved in becoming KCUV-FM, but you did lose one in Austin as the Peak became a CCM, but there is still Emmis's AAA in Austin. I say in 2006, more of the same, but HD-2 channels will be the interesting story, will AAA appear in the BIG Markets like Los Angeles and New York on a 2nd channel?<P ID="signature">______________
20 Years of POWERFUL music
Power 106 La's Party Station.

JOSH, Moderating the whole Radio-Info radio state of California and Indiana too!</P>

The delimma I see with signing on new AAA stations on traditional FM is in many cases, AAA targets an audience that's largely abandoned FM for the internet, XM and Sirius. I'm not so sure that they can be won back without a huge amount of marketing and promotion, more than most owners are willing to put in to a startup for what's considered (wrongly, albeit) a niche format. However, I think that the existing AAA stations will remain strong longer than other FMs. HD radio will see more AAA formats, I believe 101.5 WRAL is doing something along those lines?

> The delimma I see with signing on new AAA stations on
> traditional FM is in many cases, AAA targets an audience
> that's largely abandoned FM for the internet, XM and Sirius.
> I'm not so sure that they can be won back without a huge
> amount of marketing and promotion, more than most owners are
> willing to put in to a startup for what's considered
> (wrongly, albeit) a niche format. However, I think that the
> existing AAA stations will remain strong longer than other
> FMs. HD radio will see more AAA formats, I believe 101.5
> WRAL is doing something along those lines?
>

In many mid-size markets (70-100), the satellite penetration is not there to really prevent a terrestrial AAA from signing on. We're 9 months in with a young AAA on a LPFM that covers most of the market (excepting the growing far suburbs). From day one, the street buzz was incredible, because the AAA audience considered their other choices to be NPR or talk radio. Satellite was never mentioned.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom