• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

A Pulse 87 or EDM approach?

DJ_Perry said:
Is Pulse 87 on FM?

Not anymore, and I KNOW where are trying to go with this :)

You have MANY dance music mentalities in New York City. I lump it as this....

1)WORLDLY: These are people that are transplants to NYC (hipsters fall into this), and also consists of Whites, African/Caribbean Americans, Latinos and Asians, that are native to NYC, that want that underground house sound (Cielo, Pacha, District 36) as well as electronic/experimental sounds. The CLOSEST they have on the radio in NYC is Jeannie Hopper's "Liquid Sound Lounge" on WBAI.

2)BRIDGE AND TUNNEL: These are fans that live in the outer boroughs of NYC (Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island) as well as working class suburban areas in Long Island and New Jersey that are mainly Latinos and Italians that are into house, but not AS underground, the local sounds of dance (Kim Sozzi, Lucas Prata) BUT are fanatics to the freestyle classics. Pulse 87 fell into this.

3)SOCCER MOMS: These are the ladies that went clubbing when they were a lot younger but now that they have children and are doing the daily routines of raising families, they still like something with a beat, but keep it to the very safe and not following the club trends per se. WKTU and now Party 105 on Long Island fit this bill.

4) GLBT: They are VERY similar to "worldly", and will go to those clubs listed there. However they also have their OWN brand, aka: the circuit, whereas they have their style and brand of underground as well within their subculture.

Back to Pulse 87, they had catered on the FM to that "bridge and tunnel" crowd back in 08/09, yet so much has happened since then as we know. A station like DriveFX in the Hudson Valley region caters to today's dance sound and takes the DJ/EDM culture into consideration. Now just because Pulse had failed (mainly because of the signal/antenna) doesn't necessarily mean that the MUSIC failed. But with the way things ARE going, does it make more sense to lean on that EDM side, which would anger some of the "bridge and tunnel" because freestyle really isn't a part of that. Yet in NYC, there still is a following for the classics so would it be best to stay there?

Forgive the length, I know you get angry at the lengths of these things, lol. But I had to spell this out since I had a feeling you were going to "go somewhere" on the Pulse 87 argument.

Tony Santiago said:
Forgive the length, I know you get angry at the lengths of these things, lol. But I had to spell this out since I had a feeling you were going to "go somewhere" on the Pulse 87 argument.

Naw, I don't get angry. I was just curious because you mentioned them like they are a well known outlet for dance (like one of the few Dance FMs). I don't get why Dance streams on the internet play it safe with all the Pop stuff. There's too much competition in that format. It makes sense on the radio, but if folks are gonna stream Dance online, I would bet they want the real stuff. At least that's my formula on Pulse 107

DJ_Perry said:
Naw, I don't get angry. I was just curious because you mentioned them like they are a well known outlet for dance (like one of the few Dance FMs). I don't get why Dance streams on the internet play it safe with all the Pop stuff. There's too much competition in that format. It makes sense on the radio, but if folks are gonna stream Dance online, I would bet they want the real stuff. At least that's my formula on Pulse 107

That's why I posted the link to the New York City board.

I do go along with you in terms of the edgy, though when I start out my show the first hour is about as commercial potential as it can be.....the "warmup" before that "infamous 2nd hour" where I don't care where I go, it's time to challenge people!! :)

See, I thought the argument you were going to give me was that Pulse 87 failed on the FM, lol.

Tony Santiago said:
See, I thought the argument you were going to give me was that Pulse 87 failed on the FM, lol.

I would be a hyprocrite for saying that. Energy AZ had a good 6 years, and I am proud to be part of a station even with low ratings. I would never be negative over a Dance on the FM. Its risky and honorable. Online they are a dime a dozen. Half of them should easily step aside. 8)

anthonydt06 said:
It's funny how the FM Dance stations are more edgy than many of the online ones. Jelli and DriveFX both go deep.

Those stations are the exceptions, albeit PLEASANT exceptions :)

We have TONS of online stations out there. Without mentioning names, there are some that do come off very commercial, as if they should be on terrestrial. But there are some, that not only are edgy, but also have COMMERCIALS running on them! I'm going to call out DJ FM in Toronto on that. :) Very edgy in their musical presentation. They do a "throwback" on Sundays to material that had aired on Energy 108 back in the 90's. Yet I hear commercials for Bell Canada, Rogers, a home improvement store, Ontario tourism and a couple of others. The station....sounds fantastic! :)

Advertisers are slowly coming over to the Internet side of things. It's slow but then again, advertisers are beginning to realize that more people own smartphones and are able to tune in to such streaming stations that way. Give it by the end of the decade with streaming car stereos built in as standard along with 6G technology (or whatever they'll call it in 2020) and advertisers will certainly be there. And the one thing they will finally realize....people want to be challenged and NOT go for the repetition of traditional FM and commercial sounding Internet streams.

http://www.djfm.ca/ if you want to tune in :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom