• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

99X stunting

For the longest time, Atlanta was known as the Rock or Urban town. Looks like urban won. It's an urban town! Urban & Pop Rock!

You have a bunch of urbans coexisting then Q100 leaning pop-rock-ish trying to go after Star and Power trying to go after Q100, with B98.5 also being mistaken as a "top 40" because now a lot of people are convinced that the AC town must be top 40!

And then you have WiLD, just...... there.... on its little signal.

So, the once Rock & Urban market is now a pop rock/adult leaning top 40 & urban market in many ways!

Wow, I wonder if CBS will reconsider flipping Dave - I can't imagine not having either an Alternative or a AAA

Cumulus should put either Alternative or AAA on 100.5

I wonder if this move is more about Cumulus sticking it to Clear Channel than anything else. I really think Clear Channel fully intended to put Project on a lower frequency and turn it into a publicity stunt.

Instead, Cumulus beats them to the punch. The way this happened without warning, it makes me think this might be a pre-emptive strike by Cumulus, intended to stick Clear Channel with salaries of Kidd Chris (sp?) and others that they may now have no place to put.

According to Kidd Chris on his podcast, It was not a publicity stunt and that project is gone and not moving to another frequency.

kal30005 said:
I wonder if this move is more about Cumulus sticking it to Clear Channel than anything else. I really think Clear Channel fully intended to put Project on a lower frequency and turn it into a publicity stunt.

98.9 is a terrible frequency, though - if Clear Channel put Project back on 96.7/105.7, they'd still get most of the Active Rock audience

atlantaboy said:
Wow, I wonder if CBS will reconsider flipping Dave - I can't imagine not having either an Alternative or a AAA
No. Way. In. Hell. CBS is committed to the Sports format. Sadly, I'm not sure if Cumulus will put Alternative on 100.5. Even though Rock has hinted at changes.

This is what the mandatory meeting at BOTH ROCK 100.5 AND 99x was about.........

Basically, the newer part of Rock is moving to 98.9, then 99x, with a few more older songs will move to 100.5

100.5 is NOT going sports.

Website www.99x.com is still active (oops) - I mean live.

It States that it is under reconstruction.

Hmmmmm..... 100.5...... or web based station (again).

RadioFreeAtlanta said:
Website www.99x.com is still active (oops) - I mean live.

It States that it is under reconstruction.

Hmmmmm..... 100.5...... or web based station (again).
99X probably still has enough brand equity to go Web-only again. And with Cumulus's deal with CC's IHeartRadio, it's a much more attractive proposition than it was the first time.

Ughh this is really starting to make no sense. Perhaps 99X will go to 100.5 or 100.5 will be similar. Something is definitely going to happen to 100.5 considering the meeting and their announcement on their facebook page. We just don't know what, as for now I'm with Brent I'm done with Atlanta radio until some part of this mess is fixed.

I've got to admit that Atlanta is a pretty fascinating market - especially when flips occur. Most places I've been or seen changes at, there would be maybe one flip here, then another one there, and one station would periodically flip by itself and that's that.

But Atlanta? No. What happens instead is nothing for a long time, then suddenly A BUNCH OF THINGS AT ONCE, lol. Flips and flops going on all over the place. First, it was the whole Star 94 improvement causing a chain reaction of improvements on the AC / Hot AC side. Then around the same time, the r&b stations start tweeking up a bit. Now it's just a bunch of stuff going on all over the place. News, Top 40, Rhythmic, Urban (Streetz), Oldies, Rock, Alternative, etc. The Atlanta market is hilarious sometimes, but I know a lot of places that would die just to have half as much of all the action going on in Atl. market right now. At least the Atlanta board is going, minds are thinking, people are wondering and having things to hope and look forward to, etc. I wouldn't complain now because we're still at a point where anything could happen. I would start complaining the day everything seems to have settled into place while some of the lacking formats are still lacking.

Now, is it true that rock/alternative or oldies couldn't work? Wasn't there a time when it was said that rhythmic pop / chr wouldn't work? And wasn't there a time when it was thought that a B98.5 upgrade couldn't work? I have my doubts now every time people doubt formats - I tend to believe major formats could work under the right programming.

RadioFreak69 said:
McVay says more things to come in a couple days. Could 99X go back to 97.9???
I could see that. I am sure Cumulus is waiting to see what will happen with 105.7. More likely, though, alt will be subsumed into Bone and Rock. Even River is playing some older, more popular alt cuts.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom